Henshini

Since 2.0 wave two has been posted...

Should we be concerned no card pack is advertised? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had heard X-wing 2.0 was going to have a card pack each wave so we no longer had to buy "the autothrusters expansion pack". Were these only going to cover cards that come with re-releases? If so, that sort of proves that FFG doesn't understand why we wanted card packs. 

@Henshini

Here's the answer you were probably looking for;

The "card packs" for all the materials released in these early waves is essentially coming out in tandem; it's the Conversion Kits for the three factions.  They come with everything found in the individual blisters for the X/Y/TIE Fighter/Advanced/Firespray/Fang.

The only notable exclusions I believe are the Mining Guild TIE and Lando's Falcon, which you'd need to buy the packs for to get their exclusives.

I'm assuming the Resistance/FO Conversion kits will have whatever the X and TIE come with, but I think you're on your own for the new A-Wing.

At some point down the line you'll see these packs they alluded to, if they plan to do them after all.

So I guess in summary you're more or less all set with card packs right now, it's just that the initial release of Conversion Kits has a giant price point because of how many ships it's covering, but I'd imagine future packs would be smaller and less expensive.

Hopefully that clears it up for you.

What cards are you expecting to come in such a standalone card pack release? Wave 2 is still a conversion wave. Most of the cards are coming in the conversion packs for the Resistance and First Order. The exception is the mining guild TIE, and it could be that all of the cards for that ship are only useable on that ship or are already available.

Wave 3 will be the clue as to how FFG handle things, but to be fair it was always a somewhat optimistic hope. There will always been cards exclusive to new releases (eg, Saw and Krennic). The best we can hope for is that future generic cards (and 1.0 ship pilot cards) will be made available.

What @cleardave said. 

Also, because this conversation seems to be headed this direction, I’ll just point out that FFG never promised to do card packs to cover NEW ships that were released, they only promised to do something so that you wouldn’t have to rebuy 1.0 ships that you already owned (the one exception being the core set). 

Lando’s Falcon, Mining Guild TIE, Resistance A-Wing, all of the Republic and CIS faction ships: none of these ships were available for 1.0 so none of their contents will be covered in any sort of card pack. 

I guess then I misunderstood the quotes people took from FFG. I had though they understood that the autothrusters expansion pack with free starviper model was a **** deal and that they were going to address it, like I've heard they do with Legion. Oh well. 

Also, as a follow-up thought, something tells me these mythical card packs are going to be a POD item, which means, at least for my experiences in Toronto dealing with getting them in stores, it'll be a shaky availability, so you'll more likely need to rely on buying from FFG directly and paying that shipping charge overhead, which can turn a $20 card pack into a $40 one, which might seem like a lot of money to get your hands on a specific upgrade or two when you could just buy the ship instead and get a playable ship for your troubles too.

What I've noticed about the Kits, having gotten a Rebel and Imperial one, is that to buy the Scum one, basically all the non-Faction-specific upgrades will be worthless to you, as you've already gotten plenty from the combined Rebel and Imperial ones.

I sold out of X-Wing back in summer 2017 and I've been coming back in ahead of the 2.0 release next month with cherry-picked ships from Rebels and Imperials, and now that they're basically optional buys with the upgrade cards I'm sitting on, will be mostly ignoring the Scum faction almost entirely because for me personally, the value isn't there.

So with these POD packs we're speculating on, are they really going to have enough material to justify 7 different "top up" packs every year to cover all these factions?  Probably not.  I'd wager that it'll be one pack with all cards for all factions lumped together in duplicates and it'll ship like a 60 card LCG pack in that clamshell.  So you're still in a roundabout way going to end up paying for off-faction materials.

They said that you won’t have to buy out of faction to get certain cards,  but outside of conversion kits, if there is a new card, you would have to buy the new ship, it just will be in such a way that an imperial player would only have to buy imperial ships.

Edited by poke450

2 minutes ago, Henshini said:

I guess then I misunderstood the quotes people took from FFG. I had though they understood that the autothrusters expansion pack with free starviper model was a **** deal and that they were going to address it, like I've heard they do with Legion. Oh well. 

They are addressing it, but the releases shown so far would indicate it won't be quite like Legion, otherwise BT-1 and 0-0-0 would be in the Empire kit, Maul would been the Rebel kit, and the Moldy Crow would be in the Scum kit.

Nevermind that no kits come with bomb tokens, even though they came with the cards, so if you want your Y-Wing to use all the bomb options, you're going to need to do some hunting for those tokens.

I'm just piecing my speculation and prediction together from evidence based on what they've implied and how the actual release of X-Wing 2.0 upgrades is executing compared to Legion's.

4 minutes ago, Henshini said:

That’s a separate issue than what I was talking about (not being forced to rebuy ships you already owned from first edition). They have also promised that you won’t have to buy out of faction in order to get upgrade cards that you might want to use- every upgrade card that a faction can use will be available within that faction somehow. 

Now, you might have to wait for a wave or two before a particular upgrade card will come out for your faction, but it will come eventually. 

Ninja’d by @poke450 and @cleardave while I was typing this!

As far as I remember the ship expansions announced for wave 2 has only been the T-70, Tie F/O, RZ-2 A-Wing, and Mining Guild Tie right? And since the Resistance and First Order conversion kits release at the same time they will likely have what is in the T-70 and Tie F/O expansion packs, just like the Rebel, Empire, and Scum conversion packs did for wave 1 rereleased ships. And since the RZ-2 and Mining Guild Tie are new ships we would need to buy them. 

Wave 3 will likely be the first wave to have rereleased ships that they will implement this card pack idea to let us buy that for any new pilots or upgrades for ships that we already have.

56 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Sure. But at this stage, basically every one of the overly numerous „should we be concerned about X?“ threads can and should be answered with a simple No.

Why would you choose to be disappointed, and try to get others to be disappointed, too?

We need a “Should we be concerned about ‘Should we be concerned?’ threads” thread to sort this out.

I’m sure this will finally do what none of the others have: Reach a useful conclusion.

Pretty sure it comes down to the card packs only covering the stuff from rereleases. The Mining Guild Tie and A-Wing thus would not be included in that group leaving the T-70 and Tie/FO; however if you are playing the Resistance or FO then you'd end up buying their conversion sets and get all the materials there or would be a new player buying the expansions as they are meaning you'd get the new content in the wave as is. 

We will likely have to wait until Wave 3 or 4 to see the card packs considering that Wave 3 could easily be a Republuc and CIS only wave. 

1 hour ago, Henshini said:

What I got from that FFG line of thinking is that a card available to more than 1 faction will show up in kits for each faction, instead of being in only 1 ship in the entire game. This means that Autothrusters, that for now only come with Fang Fighters, will be available to all factions in at least 1 of their specific kits (i.e. A-Wing for Rebel, TIE Interceptor for Empire, etc). In other words, you won't have to buy a Scum ship to have Autothrusters - some ship from your faction will have it. 

What they won't do is to make such cards available to EVERYONE at the same pace.

49 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Pretty sure it comes down to the card packs only covering the stuff from rereleases. The Mining Guild Tie and A-Wing thus would not be included in that group leaving the T-70 and Tie/FO; however if you are playing the Resistance or FO then you'd end up buying their conversion sets and get all the materials there or would be a new player buying the expansions as they are meaning you'd get the new content in the wave as is. 

We will likely have to wait until Wave 3 or 4 to see the card packs considering that Wave 3 could easily be a Republuc and CIS only wave. 

I doubt it. We haven't seen much from Republic or CIS, like two ship models with no cards or details on mechanics/differences. I think it's optimistic to put at wave 3, even 4 is iffy. Wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 3rd/4th quarter of next year.

8 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

I doubt it. We haven't seen much from Republic or CIS, like two ship models with no cards or details on mechanics/differences. I think it's optimistic to put at wave 3, even 4 is iffy. Wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 3rd/4th quarter of next year.

They have noted that they were going to say more about the Republic and CIS in November, that and with them showing off the minis on the Star Wars show makes me think we will see them sooner rather than later. 

38 minutes ago, Vector Strike said:

What they won't do is to make such cards available to EVERYONE at the same pace.

Yeah, this is the exception that makes the whole thing seem like a lie or at least deceptive advertising. 

No, you don't have to buy Scum to get more Afterburners. Only if you want the card now, in the current meta and at its current level of value. This, of course, can make all the difference in the world. 

Sure, you can get enough currently super powerful barrage rockets without having to buy multiple Imperial conversion kits. You just need to wait until wave three, coincidentally the same wave that sees the re-release of Harpoons, which are superior in every way and only come 2 per new $40 Scum box. You need at least three copies to have a really competitive list? Oh what a shocking coincidence! 

Autothrusters were eventually available outside of Scum expansions in 1.0. It just wasn't until everyone who really wanted multiple copies already had multiple complimentary copies of the Starviper as well.

In all honesty, I do not see any evidence that this sort of chase card sales gimmick has changed for them in even the smallest way. Either they make every new upgrade for a wave come in every faction expansion in that wave or they are pretty obviously trying to convince me it's raining indoors. There is zero practical reason, outside of sales, why Afterburners, Barrage Rockets, 0-0-0 or any of these examples couldn't be made available to every faction that can use them. 

Edited by RebelProfundity

30 minutes ago, RebelProfundity said:

I do not see any evidence that this sort of chase card sales gimmick has changed for them in even the smallest way. 

I disagree. Look at Runewars. Look at Legion. Look at Armada even.

1 hour ago, RebelProfundity said:

Autothrusters were eventually available outside of Scum expansions in 1.0. It just wasn't until everyone who really wanted multiple copies already had multiple complimentary copies of the Starviper as well.

Was it ever available in a Rebel expansion?  I know Kylo's TIE had two copies but never really started collecting Rebel stuff.

43 minutes ago, DekoPuma said:

I'm not familiar with Runewars or Legion, but Armada definitely splits cards between factions. Flight Commander, which was a key part of the old Rebel Yavaris+FC+FTC combo, only comes with the Imperial Interdictor (which is a poor carrier and would never use that upgrade to boot). Each faction has only gotten three of the four fleet commands; there's one command that's only with the Pelta, and one that's only with Chimaera. In the last wave, of the seven new upgrades usable by both factions, only two were in both expansions.

58 minutes ago, DekoPuma said:

I mean, sure it might be happening in other games. The fact that they immediately went back to chase cards in X-wing makes me doubt any connection. Wring the most popular game for every cent, use some of it to build goodwill by giving people a better deal on more niche product lines. 

I honestly don't know much about the state of Armada anymore, but I do remember buying the Corellian Conflict mostly for squadron cards. Spinal Armament in the Liberty Expansion being an example of something an Imperial might want that wasn't available in a timely way without buying a large rebel pack.