Sign in to follow this  
Kieransi

X-Wing completists: will you buy everything?

Just a simple question. Now that you get the upgrades neccesary just by buying one faction's releases per wave and moreover probably will have an option to just buy the cards without the ships (supposedly... we do know FFG), will you still buy everything? 

There isn't an X-Wing product I don't own. Technically not true I guess because I only own two colors of colored bases and three playmats. But I own at least one of each ship and aces pack, and at least two of most. 

I'm thinking I might keep this up in 2.0 for a while just so that I have more models to paint without fear of messing up the "classic" Luke or Boba schemes (for example), and/or so that I can get spinny fangs, better Y-Wings, etc, etc...

But are there other X-Wing "completionists" who won't do this anymore? I'm thinking maybe this was a habit some of us only picked up in the first place to get all the cards to stay competitive. Should we still be buying all this stuff? 

I will continue to buy all seven(!) factions.  I've never understood the "I only play X faction" mentality (aside from pure financial burden).  I switch factions, lists, and focuses very often.  (This season I've attended five Store Championships and flown a different list -- with zero practice -- every time.)

EDIT: I didn't exactly answer the question, sorry.  I'm a completist, and will continue to be a completist, but I will only buy what I need to be a completist.  I'd like to have to rebuy exactly zero of the ships that I already own (i.e., all of them), and each one that I'm required to rebuy (to remain a completist) will annoy me and push me incrementally closer to dropping the game completely.  On the other hand, I'll buy all the new ships, probably in multiples, as long as I'm in the game.  It's definitely all or nothing for me.

Edited by Jeff Wilder

I'm a mostly-completionist. I still have not bought a rebel Z-95 or a Resistance Bomber, because I didn't want to fly them. I have everything else, though.

I have flown every ship I own except the Upsilon Shuttle, which is still in its box and was pretty much just a really expensive Kylo crew.

I will probably continue to buy almost everything and fly almost everything. I can't wait to try spinning! I hear it's a good trick!

I've been a completist so far. Splitting into 5 factions made no difference, since I already own multiples of almost every ship, but the announcement of 2 more factions means I might not collect them. I'll have to see if I like their ships and style.

However, my son loves the Clone Wars series and the prequel trilogy generally so I expect he'll be wanting me to get them anyway!

I collected 3 factions before 2e, and I think I'll carry on doing the same.

I enjoyed hopping between all the factions but that's no longer financially viable for me (release schedule dependent). My current plan is to dip my toes into each of the 7, and narrow it down to 3 that I enjoy most. 

1 hour ago, skotothalamos said:

I'm a mostly-completionist. I still have not bought a rebel Z-95 or a Resistance Bomber, because I didn't want to fly them. I have everything else, though.

I have flown every ship I own except the Upsilon Shuttle, which is still in its box and was pretty much just a really expensive Kylo crew.

Z95s are great, although I've used my Scum ones more than my rebels. The resistance bomber is a very odd beast, but worth trying out sometime even if you just borrow one for one or two games.

A friend flew Kylo Upsilon alongside Rexler Brath for quite a while - surprised many people with how effective it can be, but it failed as a list once opponents realised that Rex had to die first. I like multiple Upsilons in epic or higher points games.

I'm a completionist; to date I have at least one of every ship and in many cases several duplicates. I have not, and likely won't, invest in colored stands, dial covers, or new mats (I have a mat I really like).

Moving into 2.0, I may only buy existing ships if there is a significant model or paint upgrade/variant; new Y-wing, Fang fighter, etc.

Moving ahead of that, I may or may not invest in Separatist/Clone ships, it will depend on my interest at the time, and my level of "disposable" income given the price hikes.

Only time will tell, but my only current commitment is one Conversion Kit per existing faction.

I was a completionist until Asmodee Canada took 5 months to ship the Rebel bombers from their Montreal warehouse to Ottawa (200km) despite managing to ship some across the country. I still don't have a bomber and skipped Saw's and the Reaper when they announced 2.0 since my son expressed he was done with competition. 

We may catch up at some point since we still do play at home, but it has suddenly become far less of a priority in our household. I'm both sad and happy about that. 

At this point, I've preordered a core set and scum conversion, and I plan to add the other conversion kits if my son wants to play 2.0. The rest? Who knows! 

I want to be, but budget and space has prevented me. Now hoping to find scum discounted as 1.0 phases out so I can finish off that set. 

Rebel- 100% complete

Empire- Missing Upsilon Shuttle

Scum- Missing Quad Jumper, Agressor, Jump Master, Bossk ship, and Lancer

Epic- Only have Gonzati (coming with two TIEs made it easier to justify.......)

My completionist self was happy when 2.0 was announced.

I never actually played the game, but spent about $4K collecting 1.0. The minis are beautiful and have received much enjoyment from them.

I now have the perfect excuse to end my affiliation with the game.

I do intend on staying abreast of the game and this forum, but will not buy anything for 2.0.

Nope...already traded/sold all my empire and scum.  Going full Rebel.  I am keeping First Order and Resistance for now.  I will probably drop one of them when the CW factions are released.

Edited by WKWGbob

I'm mostly a completionist.  There are still a few ships I haven't purchased (a G1A, a Jumpmaster, a Quadjumper, the Resistance Bomber, and a couple others, I think).  I buy what I like, but I like nearly everything!  I don't even plan on playing the Resistance or likely even the First Order, but I'll be buying the RZ2 and the new Silencer.  I also own every Epic ship and have never even come close to playing an Epic game, but they look great on a shelf and were a fraction of the cost of some other collectible models I've seen (A friend paid around $300 for a Mass effect ship model that had far less detail than the Epic CR 90).  I actually have four ships still in their boxes because I ran out of shelf space and I haven't decided to play them in a list yet.

So, I guess I'll be buying a few ships.  Probably no Nubian designs (sleek ships seem less Star Warsy to me) but there are plenty I'm already looking forward to buying and they haven't even announced them yet.

I will no longer be anywhere near  as completionist as with 1.0.  I used to get 4+ of every small and 2+ of every large and even multiples of the epics.  For all factions.

I am rebuying nothing for 2.0 unless it is a amazing repaint or resculpt.  Right now, that probably mean 1 y-wing.

I will probably only convert FO, and will only really collect Republic faction heavily.  If I buy CIS, I am going be very conservative.  Flying faceless Imperials was bad enough--flying soulless droids will not be interesting at all :(

When 2.0 drops, I will probably buy nothing immediately save my Core Set preorder.  I'll see where things stand at Christmas. 

The bummer for FFG is that all this has not curbed my appetite for 1/270 scale spaceships.  I've been buying all kinds of things from Shapeways to paint, and not even necessarily Star Wars themed stuff, because my faith in XWM is a bit shakey right now. 

Edited by Darth Meanie

Short answer, no.

Longer answer, Absolutely not.

Completionism never benefitted me one bit in 1.0 and that lesson has been learned. To each their own but I’m through chasing carrots for ships I will never play. Regretting filling out scum and getting that kit but to be fair I want to see which of the OT I like better. My penultimate strategy would be empire and republic only as they are pretty much the same thing just at different points in time with different philosiphies.

41 minutes ago, Handler said:

Never go full rebel

Damnit, why didn't someone tell me before! I will go full rebel at the start and maybe Republic, because I really love Clone Wars. Collecting all factions seems too expensive to me and I don't want to shell out > € 280,00 if they decide to make X-Wing 3.0.