Sign in to follow this  
Ling27

Ling's Vulture Droid - Design.

So, while chilling around during my bye round yesterday, I was thinking about what I wanted Vulture Droids to do. Because, I enjoy cheap swarms. First, I figured there could be named squadrons, like green or saber. Then, I came to the conclusion that Vulture Droids would be a good test for an Idea.

Vulture Droids: 6 points.

2 hull

2 red dice

Battlenet: This Squadron gains 1 red anti-squadron dice for each friendly squadron in base contact with the Battlenet keyword.

They are cheap squadrons that change the way that they would work compaired to other squadrons, because for the effect to proc, they need to be in base contact with each other.

I dont know, but I think it would be interesting, I plan on trying it as some point.

12 minutes ago, Norell said:

What about the antiship armament? By the way I think it's overpriced. Compare it to the 3 speed, 3 hull, 3 red dice Z-95 with the much less restrictive Swarm keyword for 7 points... I think 2 hull and 2 red AS would cost about 4 points tops.

I didnt think about anti-ship, but I would assume 1 blue would work well. And make them speed 4. I dont know why those two parts of it didnt come to me.

I could see 4 pts being viable. I only worry about things being too cheap.

16 hours ago, Ling27 said:

So, while chilling around during my bye round yesterday, I was thinking about what I wanted Vulture Droids to do. Because, I enjoy cheap swarms. First, I figured there could be named squadrons, like green or saber. Then, I came to the conclusion that Vulture Droids would be a good test for an Idea.

Vulture Droids: 6 points.

2 hull

2 red dice

Battlenet: This Squadron gains 1 red anti-squadron dice for each friendly squadron in base contact with the Battlenet keyword.

They are cheap squadrons that change the way that they would work compaired to other squadrons, because for the effect to proc, they need to be in base contact with each other.

I dont know, but I think it would be interesting, I plan on trying it as some point.

I like using existing keywords better. Especially as "Swarm" fits perfect.

I love this idea, however, I think the prospect of 22 Vulture Droid Squadrons on a table is unwieldy. What if we represented their number a little differently, through hull, rather than cost. And maybe a slightly larger squadron base. So I propose this:

Vulture Droids: 17 points

10 hull

2 red dice-anti-squad

1 blue-anti-ship

Battlenet: Cannot move without a squadron order from a ship.

Sacrifice: May choose to sacrifice 6 hull to cause one damage to hull. (Simulates a Kamikaze type attack by the Vulture Droids)

Edited by icedbecker2007

1 hour ago, icedbecker2007 said:

Vulture Droids: 17 points

10 hull

2 red dice-anti-squad

1 blue-anti-ship

Battlenet: Cannot move without a squadron order from a ship.

Sacrifice: May choose to sacrifice 6 hull to cause one damage to hull. (Simulates a Kamikaze type attack by the Vulture Droids)

I like that battlenet idea, because I was talking about how one of the CIS commanders could be a Tactical Droid, who buffs all droid related things. So Battlenet Squadrons could activate as if they were activated normally.

50 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

I like that battlenet idea, because I was talking about how one of the CIS commanders could be a Tactical Droid, who buffs all droid related things. So Battlenet Squadrons could activate as if they were activated normally.

I like that, very fluffy, and would be an interesting new mechanic.

I had written it out a while ago, but give them a keyword “Droid” along with Swarm

Then have an upgrade called Droid Contollers for ships. It specifies that all squadrons at distance 1-3 with Droid gain Rogue.

Droid - This unit cannot move during the Squadron phase unless it has Rogue

It makes them super dependent on ships, but potent when supported. If you can pin them down long enough to get them away from ships, then they become stupid and useless. 

Edited by Church14