Slugrage

v2 Dial Storage Ideas?

I had been using 38mm coin holder pages to sort and store all my v1 dials in a 3-ring binder along with all the same faction pilots. However, now that the v2 dials are out, they're substantially bigger (now 50mm across for the fully assembled stock cardboard) and no longer fit in any standard coin page that I can find from any of the collector sites. I'm often running demos at the FLGS or game conventions, so I'm not keen to switch out to the FFG plastic holders each time I need to switch up the ship mix (other than for my own favourite squadron). Everything else I have is in a Battlefoam bag and foam, and the dials don't really fit in there either. So right now, they're in one zip-close bag for each faction. Cheap but annoying to dump out to find one specific dial.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to store the now wider 50mm wide dials?

15 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I use "bead boxes" from Michael's.   I used to be able to get 5 per slot, but I think it will still work but less dials per slot.

The also hold small bases nicely.

10091119.jpg?fit=inside%7C540:540

I use something similar. Just chucked them all in separated by faction in 1e I might try to be a bit more organised for 2e where I'll have a box per faction rather than one for every dial.

49 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Currently looking for a case like that... Haven't found one I'm totally happy with that fits the larger 2.0 dials yet

Yeah, it's just another grrrrrr.  Those worked so well for 1.0 bases and  dials together.   Still will, but Now, Medium bases won't work, so I need a new solution there, too.   Luckily I drink a lot of tea; the tins often work for large bases.  Now medium too, I guess.

I had just bought a bunch of storage for the smaller upgrade cards just before the 2.0 announcement. 

Now all useless. 

It's almost amazing how much 2.0 changes EVERYTHING. 

5 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I am already struggling with XWM tchachki management and you want me to buy more???!!!

Well, it does cut down on storage costs and space (in either edition) for those of us who are cursed to buy 1 or 2 of everything. 

Also looks cooler. 

And they can be painted to match your ships. 

But yeah they're not cheap...

32 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Psst...

dial upgrade kits

You didn't read my post did you? Or skipped the part where I said I take everything to run demos at various locations, and that's why I'm not using the dial upgrade kits?

6 minutes ago, Slugrage said:

You didn't read my post did you? Or skipped the part where I said I take everything to run demos at various locations, and that's why I'm not using the dial upgrade kits?

I was mostly responding to anyone who said that they had stuff that fit in 1e and were upset it doesn't in 2e. 

I wasn't very keen on the idea of dial upgrade kits either but the amount of time it takes to set up is actually rather trivial compared to all the other setup involved in a game of X-Wing

1 hour ago, Kieransi said:

But yeah they're not cheap...

I have bought a ton of accessories and stuff for this game like range rulers with my personal squadron name on them.  And yet, the dial covers have always seemed a dumb expendature to me.

Nevertheless,  the one thing I like about the new 2.0 dials is how they show the entire options on the dial like the covers do.

3 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I have bought a ton of accessories and stuff for this game like range rulers with my personal squadron name on them.  And yet, the dial covers have always seemed a dumb expendature to me.

Nevertheless,  the one thing I like about the new 2.0 dials is how they show the entire options on the dial like the covers do.

I love the front facing maneuver collection, but for me the best bit about the new dials is the notch. 

My dad had a wrist injury when he was younger, and doesn't have feeling in some of his fingertips. This made it really hard for him to actually turn the 1e dials (to almost comic levels). The notch helps him turn them, so I'll have 1 more person to play with come September! 

5 hours ago, Slugrage said:

However, now that the v2 dials are out, they're substantially bigger (now 50mm across for the fully assembled stock cardboard) and no longer fit in any standard coin page that I can find from any of the collector sites.

I just tried standard card holder pages and they fit in pretty well. If you search ebay for "12 pocket pages" you get a bunch of options for 50+mm square sleeve pages which would be worth a try.

The 2.0 dials fit in the same coin pages I was using for my 1.0 dials.  Unfortunately I do not have any of the packaging or remember anything about the brand.  The dials do have to be tilted sideways to fit in the pouches, but they still easily fit.

1 hour ago, lyerelian said:

I found that coin boxes that hold 2"x2" coin envelopes work great.  I still need to make dividers but I think it is my future dial stoarge.

The picture is the core set plus the whole rebel conversion kit

2018-08-26 17_09_25-Photos.jpg

This is exactly what I want

Edit: Just bought three.

Edited by LagJanson

Personally, I'm still clinging to original box storage as much as possible. I know most people probably prefer plano/foam for their ships but the original box is still a really nice size for dials and tokens. You can fold construction paper to make channels, 2" for 2.0 dials, 1.5" for small tokens. Here's my Rebel box in progress with the dial channel updated to fit 2.0.  

IMG_8519_reduced.thumb.jpg.206b28fc141b6f35499b70120473c288.jpg

14 hours ago, lyerelian said:

I found that coin boxes that hold 2"x2" coin envelopes work great.  I still need to make dividers but I think it is my future dial stoarge.

The picture is the core set plus the whole rebel conversion kit

2018-08-26 17_09_25-Photos.jpg

These are awesome!  

Any idea how many fit in per inch? I'm just trying to figure out how many and what size.

50 minutes ago, DarthHenryAllen said:

Personally, I'm still clinging to original box storage as much as possible. I know most people probably prefer plano/foam for their ships but the original box is still a really nice size for dials and tokens. You can fold construction paper to make channels, 2" for 2.0 dials, 1.5" for small tokens. Here's my Rebel box in progress with the dial channel updated to fit 2.0.  

This is good, and a very good layout... I think most people are avoiding this option because of how much effort is required to pull it off. I've already got too many projects myself, and trust me, I was considering making my own dial boxes... Good job!

6 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

This is good, and a very good layout... I think most people are avoiding this option because of how much effort is required to pull it off. I've already got too many projects myself, and trust me, I was considering making my own dial boxes... Good job!

I am using Broken Token card boxes and the boxes they have out as prize support in the early days to hold my cards.  I need more for the bigger cards that changed size.

23 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I am using Broken Token card boxes and the boxes they have out as prize support in the early days to hold my cards.  I need more for the bigger cards that changed size.

See, that's where a simple card box you see commonly for sports cards works well. For less than one Canadian dollar (that's what, 13 cents American?) I got a box that contained both Imperial and Rebel conversion kits worth of cards.