Sign in to follow this  
Captain Weather

The Overnight Report - UK Nationals

I don't blame you for knowing absolutely nothing about me ? - I wouldn't say I'm the most active on these forums nor have I been achieving the top results in Nationals or Euros etc! My objectives were what you would expect from this kind of list - Most Wanted, Contested Outpost (which I played every game) and Solar Corona. Sam and I both play at the Eagle gaming club so it was bizarre to face each other in the cut.  We are a very friendly group so I'd like to think that we are all as great to play with as international man of mystery Marcus (@Lord-Preyer)! Sam's Australian though, despite living here quite a few years, so probably a man after your own heart! 

I'm putting together a write up of my nationals experience as it's the type of thing I'd be interested to read myself in another situation so I feel kind of obliged to do so. It's getting fairly lengthy though!

Great write-up as always @Captain Weather. I actually played James and Sam in the Swiss rounds. Sam was the only person on the day to out-bid me (which I think made me pretty lucky, really) and my objectives were my downfall!

I had the following, the logic being I could try for some opportunistic point-scoring before running away in true Moff Jerjerrod fashion:
Most Wanted - gang up on the objective ship with all the black dice possible, and hope to come out on top
Planetary Ion Cannon - hide behind the tokens and try to pounce on any weakened ships with Demo, hope Avenger could finish them
Nav Hazards - the wild card that people usually avoid! I thought I could avoid the obstacles with Jerjerrod while scoring some easy points on enemy large ships.

Neither Sam or myself had much experience with Nav Hazards so thought it would be an interesting change. I had hoped to lead his cruisers through the obstacles whilst bringing down the squadrons with overlapping fields of flack, as I didn't think my ships could withstand a direct engagement against Motti. Sam did a great job of denying me either - the SuperFriends killed both Raiders fast, whilst the ISDs simply dropped to speed 0 and relayed their squadron commands before hitting any rocks. Knew I should have stuck with Dangerous Territories! 

3 hours ago, Vae said:

I don't blame you for knowing absolutely nothing about me ? - I wouldn't say I'm the most active on these forums nor have I been achieving the top results in Nationals or Euros etc! My objectives were what you would expect from this kind of list - Most Wanted, Contested Outpost (which I played every game) and Solar Corona. Sam and I both play at the Eagle gaming club so it was bizarre to face each other in the cut.  We are a very friendly group so I'd like to think that we are all as great to play with as international man of mystery Marcus (@Lord-Preyer)! Sam's Australian though, despite living here quite a few years, so probably a man after your own heart! 

I'm putting together a write up of my nationals experience as it's the type of thing I'd be interested to read myself in another situation so I feel kind of obliged to do so. It's getting fairly lengthy though!

I've updated the article to reflect all of this! And don't worry, once you're on my radar that's it you're on it. Congratulations on your win! And congratulations on resulting trip to Worlds!

I look forward to reading about your experience. 

2 hours ago, Dreadnowt said:

Great write-up as always @Captain Weather. I actually played James and Sam in the Swiss rounds. Sam was the only person on the day to out-bid me (which I think made me pretty lucky, really) and my objectives were my downfall!

I had the following, the logic being I could try for some opportunistic point-scoring before running away in true Moff Jerjerrod fashion:
Most Wanted - gang up on the objective ship with all the black dice possible, and hope to come out on top
Planetary Ion Cannon - hide behind the tokens and try to pounce on any weakened ships with Demo, hope Avenger could finish them
Nav Hazards - the wild card that people usually avoid! I thought I could avoid the obstacles with Jerjerrod while scoring some easy points on enemy large ships.

Neither Sam or myself had much experience with Nav Hazards so thought it would be an interesting change. I had hoped to lead his cruisers through the obstacles whilst bringing down the squadrons with overlapping fields of flack, as I didn't think my ships could withstand a direct engagement against Motti. Sam did a great job of denying me either - the SuperFriends killed both Raiders fast, whilst the ISDs simply dropped to speed 0 and relayed their squadron commands before hitting any rocks. Knew I should have stuck with Dangerous Territories! 

I'm assuming this is Tom based on the photo I saw that had you play James in Round 3, I've updated the article. I left some updated commentary regarding the objectives! That's an incredible result though, especially if you played both of the top cut players.