drail14me

Re-release schedule????

Anyone hearing any noise about a re-release schedule for all current 1st Ed ships to 2nd Ed? There are a BUNCH of ships to re-release, how long can we expect this to take?

If I counted right, we currently have 50 ships in the 1st Ed game?

Wave 1 releases in Sept, which is the end of the 3rd QTR. We get 6 of the original ships converted plus 1 new ship.

Wave 2 is expected in Dec, the end of the 4th QTR. With it, so far, we get 2 ships converted and 2 new ships.

So, as announced, by the end of the year, we've only seen 8 ships converted and 42 left to convert.

At that rate, we're looking at several years before being fully converted. I'm hoping for a more aggressive release schedule. Surely, more ships will be announced for Wave 2 after Sept 14. I'm guessing we get at least two ships per faction. If we do get two per faction though, that would be ten ships dropping at once. That's a pretty big investment for FFG and for us to buy.

What do you think?

And don't forget that there are now 2 incomplete factions (FO, Resistance) and 2 utterly new factions (Republic, CiS) to fill out.

Somewhere in there, there needs to be new material to keep Rebel and Imperial players happy (like the Heavy TIE, for example).

Plus, somebody better dang well be working on Epic.

I have no idea how FFG is going to keep up with it all, to be honest.

It is one of my concerns about 2.0: it's going to be a big issue to keep the game from stalling with all the material that needs to be rereleased.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Will all of the ships from the game’s first edition be re-released in X-Wing Second Edition?

With the exception of the plastic ships in the Aces expansions, the ships brought into second edition via conversion kits will eventually be re-released as ship expansion packs in X-Wing Second Edition.

I think many people missed the "will eventually be re-released", which means that ALL the 1.0 ships will not be re-released

What I figure might happen is uneven releases. So if you want everything, yeah you’re screwed but it’s gonna be hard to release a full wave with something for everyone on a regular schedule. They may do OG release then a month later ST release, then a month PT release then back to OG. It amounts to pretty close what we had before but a steady stream of stuff. Hopefully after the first of the year they can find a good rythum but so far their accelerated schedule doesn’t look very accelerated.

Edited by LordFajubi

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

And don't forget that there are now 2 incomplete factions (FO, Resistance) and 2 utterly new factions (Republic, CiS) to fill out.

Somewhere in there, there needs to be new material to keep Rebel and Imperial players happy (like the Heavy TIE, for example).

Plus, somebody better dang well be working on Epic.

I have no idea how FFG is going to keep up with it all, to be honest.

It is one of my concerns about 2.0: it's going to be a big issue to keep the game from stalling with all the material that needs to be rereleased.

This is my big worry too. It’s also my guess that the “large” factions won’t have much content for a while during the “catch up” time for the other new factions.

Or maybe what they do is: 1 new ship per faction per wave, plus one rerelease? It’ll take a long time to get through it all, but let’s be honest - converted players are less likely to buy the rerelease so ffg HAS to find ways to pump content out to the old player base as well.

48 minutes ago, zimut-X said:

Will all of the ships from the game’s first edition be re-released in X-Wing Second Edition?

With the exception of the plastic ships in the Aces expansions, the ships brought into second edition via conversion kits will eventually be re-released as ship expansion packs in X-Wing Second Edition.

I think many people missed the "will eventually be re-released", which means that ALL the 1.0 ships will not be re-released

I think ships like YT-1300 don't need another release, given the scum Falcon, the resistance pack, etc. The same applies perhaps for other big  ships, for example U - Wing.

Edited by AdrianBP

21 minutes ago, AdrianBP said:

I think ships like YT-1300 don't need another release, given the scum Falcon, the resistance pack, etc. The same applies perhaps for other big  ships, for example U - Wing.

Well, how could they not??

Rebels need the YT-1300 with Han, Lando, etc.

Resistance needs the same ship with Rey, Chewie, etc.

And Scum now has their version.

So, the ship is in the game for 3 factions, which now have NO overlap.  It will need 3 expacs as long as FFG sticks with the promise of no need to faction cross-purchase.

2 hours ago, Handler said:

Haven't they said it would be as aggressive as possible? I wouldn't want to see what FFG could come up with if they went faster than possible.

My wallet can't handle I wouldn't want to see  what FFG could come up with if they went faster than possible.

Fixed that for us all. 

2 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Well, how could they not??

Rebels need the YT-1300 with Han, Lando, etc.

Resistance needs the same ship with Rey, Chewie, etc.

And Scum now has their version.

So, the ship is in the game for 3 factions, which now have NO overlap.  It will need 3 expacs as long as FFG sticks with the promise of no need to faction cross-purchase.

I think that is the reason they said they'll give the option to purchase the cards separately.

I am going to make all factions, but i don't want 5 YT-1300!!

Or perhaps the crossfaction ships will have all the cards for all the factions...

1 hour ago, zimut-X said:

How does "will eventually" equate to "will not?"

1 hour ago, LordFajubi said:

their accelerated schedule doesn’t look very accelerated.

Agreed.

And, leaving rereleases aside, I wonder how are they going to manage to support 7 factions all at once moving forward.  That's already twice the volume of ships as the 1.0 days. 

I do like the the idea of 1 ship per month, rotating factions, but that sounds like a PIA to playtest.

13 minutes ago, AdrianBP said:

I think that is the reason they said they'll give the option to purchase the cards separately.

I am going to make all factions, but i don't want 5 YT-1300!!

Or perhaps the crossfaction ships will have all the cards for all the factions...

But the rectenna is different!!

And why would you rebuy the model anyways if you already have 2 old ones?

Edited by Darth Meanie

I remember an early interview where FFG stated they will have an aggressive re-release schedule, then a few minutes later the guy said re-releases will take a back seat to new ships.

I thought then that re-releases would take years and now with two incomplete factions and two new ones, it seems more and more likely.

If 1.0 ships are needed, buy store stock or collections  plus a conversion kit now as it will be a while before you see 2.0 versions.

3 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

How does "will eventually" equate to "will not?"

It's not what  I said

Some will be and some not

Re-release 6 years of release AND release new stuff is just not possible in marketing words

When second edition was announced I dimly recall them saying about 12-15 months or so for all ships to be re-released (remembered because I thought it was optimistic).

I would not be surprised if Wave 2 included more than the ships announced so far, and each wave would have about 6-8 ships total. Wave 2 will not be accompanied by a core set, and waves throughout 2019 will not have conversion packs, which will free up resources to allocate to each wave. It will not take as much time as you think for them to catch up - late 2019 is my prediction.

Well, I just guaranteed the TIE Striker would be announced in Wave 2. I’ve been wanting to pick up two more but was gonna wait. amazon had a decent price so I went ahead and bought two. So, my luck, they’ll be announced soon in Wave 2.