Sign in to follow this  
romfox

What is better Tide of Iron or Memrior 44?

I don't own M44, and have been pressured [yes i'm talking to you AFILTER]  to get into M44. Except, for me, i only play solitare and have been told on many occassions and in many threads that M44 is definitaly not a solitare players game. TOI on the other hand is a wonderfull Solitare game. My point of view is, if you have the resources and play more than solitare, as most do, get them both.

You can never have too many games. Remember, you have to grow older, but you don't have to grow up!gran_risa.gif

I have both games and love them :)

But when I'd like to be closer to reality and less depend of cards and die, I'll play in ToI.

M44 is more funny game. When armor unit battles in the plain field vs infantry unit which doesn't have any cover benefit... and don't wipe them out of board due to unluck die results.... it is real JOKE on my view :D

But M44 have a BIG avantage: short play time and numerous scenarious (therefore I play more often in M44 then ToI) and Campaign. I love a CB1. This is a great new veiw on M44 game.

My advise will be (if you ask for) MUSH have both game in you collection.

Serge aka longbearder

It depends on who you're playing with - if it's a non-gamer or casual gamer than M44 is a great game due to its simplicity.

If you're playing with a keen gamer (or a casual gamer that thinks they're ready to take the next step) then Tide of Iron is definitely the way to go.

TeufelHund said:

It depends on who you're playing with - if it's a non-gamer or casual gamer than M44 is a great game due to its simplicity.

If you're playing with a keen gamer (or a casual gamer that thinks they're ready to take the next step) then Tide of Iron is definitely the way to go.

I'll second these comments. I have them both as well (everything they make for M44, with two copies of the base game and most expansions), and they are both outstanding games.

ToI is just a notch up from M44, but still light enough to grab the attention of folks who've never played a wargame before. It also has just enough detail to keep old grognards like myself "on the hook" as well.

I still stand by my contention that when they get the Russian expansion released for this game, Tide of Iron is going to make a play for one of the all time great WWII wargames with it's combination of playability and ultra high production quality.

Tide of Iron won't be fully appreciated until it branches out to both the Russian and Pacific theaters, then this game is going to be a monster.

kaufschtick said:

TeufelHund said:

I'll second these comments. I have them both as well (everything they make for M44, with two copies of the base game and most expansions), and they are both outstanding games.

ToI is just a notch up from M44, but still light enough to grab the attention of folks who've never played a wargame before. It also has just enough detail to keep old grognards like myself "on the hook" as well.

I still stand by my contention that when they get the Russian expansion released for this game, Tide of Iron is going to make a play for one of the all time great WWII wargames with it's combination of playability and ultra high production quality.

Tide of Iron won't be fully appreciated until it branches out to both the Russian and Pacific theaters, then this game is going to be a monster.

[/quote/]

Well said!!

kaufschtick said:

TeufelHund said:

Fully agree. 

I own both all the expansions for TOI and many of the M44  and like them both for different reason.  The best analoy I have it M44 is like playing Risk where TOI is more like Axis and Allies for complexity.  Really depends what you are in the mood for.

M44 is great for a quick game while TOI is a bit more indepth and requires more time commitment.  I play with younger player (My kids and they like both games, but M44 is what we tend to go with to quickly fill the game itch.  My 10 yr old daughter can play M44, but not TOI.  With that said TOI is not so complex that is cannot be grasped by a new player it just takes a bit more commitment.

Now that I have a room set up for games my plan is to set up TOI so we can leave it up and avoid the set up time every time we play.

Yes, SGT WAKA, you need to take the M44 plunge.  It can be played solo, but very easy to get someone to play with you as well.  Beside you should not play with yourself that much anyway. gui%C3%B1o.gif

SgtWaka said:

I could ask you to EXPAND your  meaning on that last sentence......BUT....we'll just leave it alone and enjoy the laugh.partido_risa.gif

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur:"Start the purple! Start the purple!"  gran_risa.gif

kaufschtick said:

SgtWaka said:

I could ask you to EXPAND your  meaning on that last sentence......BUT....we'll just leave it alone and enjoy the laugh.partido_risa.gif

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur:"Start the purple! Start the purple!"  gran_risa.gif

5e414fa5-1.jpg

cool.gif

SgtWaka said:

kaufschtick said:

5e414fa5-1.jpg

"Start the Purple! START - THE PURPLE!" 

For those wondering. cool.gif

startthepurple.jpg

WarRealm said:

Didnt like Memoir 44 at all, much too simple and Euro like. Sold it on Ebay

Are you talking about the memoir 44 BASEGAME? If so, I fully agree. However, in my opinion the countless expansions memoir 44 has seen so far have added a lot of options and complexity to the game, though I do agree with previous posters that TOI is the deeper game of the two. I enjoy them both very much, though, albeit for different reasons!

yeah the base game my bad. I do like all the expansions that Memoir has offered up and that Eastern Front one was pretty sweet my friend had it. Unfortunately, coming over from Flames of War after selling our armies there we are looking for a more mini feel aspect and larger game board etc etc. with hexes like Axis and Allies Minis

M44 has another base set of mapboards coming out in a couple weeks, called breakthrough maps. I believe these are all mounted map boards, one green, one desert and one winter (snow).

M44 is kinda like Wings of War, if you ask me. When WoW started out,  just as a card game, it was so-so. Then they added the minis, and it was pretty cool, but there weren't enough minis. Then another set of minis, game mats, more minis, observation balloons, more boxed sets and so on. When you look at it now, there is still a lot that that game can add, but it is out of this world great now!aplauso.gif

M44 is the same way. There is just a butt load of stuff for that game you can get to add to it, and it is super.

I'm hoping the same will be true with ToI. Only ToI started out with a super fantastic base game, better than M44 & WoW. So, if those games grew into great titles after mediocre base games, just think what the potential for ToI is! corazon.gif

If they ever started selling pre-painted figures and vehicles for this game, it'd hit the stratosphere faster than a Saturn V rocket! sorpresa.gif

Horses for courses, you almost might have asked 'What is better ToI or Chess?' - both are wargames.  You have a fair breadth of opinions to choose from already, all that I will add, gamewise, is a couple of advantages Mem'44 has;

i) As an introduction to wargaming for non-game-players it is a much easier gateway than ToI - although in my experience some folk quickly question the lack of control that the Section Cards give them over the units they want to activate.  This is usually an aspect of not being familiar with good hand-management and simpy wanting to attack or respond every turn.  In any event ToI is then a great progression.

ii) If you or your opponent are not confined to WW2, the learning curve (actually more of a gentle incline) of Mem'44 then give you the option for very very little further learning, albeit a required budgetary increase, access to; Ancient Battles, Medieval and Fantasy, ACW and soon Napoleonic.

I have and enjoy both - generally against opponents with differing levels of gaming experience - although having typed that, with one of my more experienced groups, we have often enjoyed an afternoon of linked scenarios in Mem'44, where ToI would not have given us the time for more than one (max. two) game(s).

hmmm mayhap that make three advantages - I think I'd better stop typing before I link Mem'44 to a fanatical devotion to the Pope preocupado.gif

El Mikel said:

hmmm mayhap that make three advantages - I think I'd better stop typing before I link Mem'44 to a fanatical devotion to the Pope preocupado.gif

LOl!!!gran_risa.gif

Yeah, M44 & ToI are both fantastic!aplauso.gif

I have both games. M44' is so much faster to set up and play so that is a huge factor there, but it can be a little oversimplified at times, if not always. there is very little variety in the units. also ,personally i dont like how you can just get bad luck and not be able to defend a section of your army if you dont have the right cards.

TOI is a lot more in depth, which for me makes it more fun. there are a lot more unit types and elements to the game play. on the downside it does take a long time to play and set up so it will be harder to find the time to play it. but for me the biggest thing about a game is the sense of accomplishment you get after achieving your goals and objectives. TOI takes a lot deeper strategy which leads to more excitement and a larger sense of accomplishment or dissary when something goes according to or against your strategy

Cyscott1 said:

Depends on what you like. Tide of Iron is a bit deeper but also harder to play. I prefer TOI but you may not.

Straight forward and simple, well said Cyscott1.

I too prefer Tide of Iron, but that doesn't mean I won't turn down a game fo Memoir 44.

romfox, try them both if you can. Who knows, you might end up getting both.