Sign in to follow this  
Rakaydos

Do Failed actions count as perforng that action?

Hypothetical: Ewing with Afterburners moves, gets a free boost, and attempts to lock. It failes/player chooses to fail because target is juust too close. 

Can the Ewing take a normal action to barrel roll, linked to lock, or is that performing the same action twice in one round?

No “replacement action” allowed.  Rules Reference, Page 11:

If an action fails, the player does not choose a different action to perform and cannot choose to resolve the effect in a different way.

Edited by Opsmason

16 minutes ago, Opsmason said:

No “replacement action” allowed.  Rules Reference, Page 11:

I think you misunderstood the question. OP does not want to choose a "replacement action", he asked if he can try the same action again later in the round if the first attempt fails.

I would say yes, he can try again, but I did not find anything in the rulebook that confirms that. FAQ needed.

Edited by Ubul

1 minute ago, Ubul said:

I think you misunderstood the question. OP does not want to chose a "replacement action", he asked if he can try the same action again later in the round.

I would say yes, he can try again, but I did not find anything in the rulebook that confirms that. FAQ needed.

Indeed. A less confusing example might be a failed barrel roll, followed by a coordinate barrel roll.

The rules aren't completely explicit on this point but I would say it does not count as having done the action. Under the "Fail" section in the Rules Reference it says that abilities that trigger after having done an action cannot he triggered after a failed action. Also you may not trigger a linked action off of a failed action and failed red actions do not generate stress.  It seems to me the game behaves in all cases as if you didn't do the action. The only downside bwing that after failing an action you do not get to try a different one. Based on all of that I would say that "Failing at a barrel roll" clearly does not count as "Performing a barrel roll" and therefore does not stop you from doing anothe later should the opportunity arise.

FFG could always FAQ later to change that but as of now that would be my TO ruling anyway.

Personally, I think you couldn't attempt again a failed action from a second-source.  Another situation where this could occur would be with coordinate, attempting an action before you've moved, and afterwards you have your normal action.

Here's the definition of a failed action: "Some effects can fail, which means the effect did not resolve as intended and instead is resolved in a default way."  To me, this says that, yes, that action did occur and does count towards once per turn.  However, you simply don't gain any benefit from having performed that action, and per the rest of the failed action rules, you cannot use it as a trigger to perform other effects (linked actions, R3 Astromech taking a TL).

13 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Personally, I think you couldn't attempt again a failed action from a second-source.  Another situation where this could occur would be with coordinate, attempting an action before you've moved, and afterwards you have your normal action.

Here's the definition of a failed action: "Some effects can fail, which means the effect did not resolve as intended and instead is resolved in a default way."  To me, this says that, yes, that action did occur and does count towards once per turn.  However, you simply don't gain any benefit from having performed that action, and per the rest of the failed action rules, you cannot use it as a trigger to perform other effects (linked actions, R3 Astromech taking a TL).

Yeah. that's exactly my take on it too.

The rules seem pretty explicit that a failed action has still been 'resolved'. You still 'performed' the action, it just didn't give you the 'intended' result. 

It seems pretty consistent with the RAI view of failed actions in general. If you try a barrel roll to the right and you can't, you don't get to use that information to attempt a barrel roll to the left instead, regardless of how many actions you might be able to get. 

With the exception of being able to measure range to as many ships as you like for TL, one of the general aims of 2e seems to be limit the amount of board state information you can glean by exploiting actions.