Animewarsdude

If the Resistance was added who would buy them?

I've been trying to think about this the past few days and I was just curious if anyone here would have an interest in them? The OT factions have iconic outfits due to the films and are easily associated with the battle on the Tantive IV, Battle of Hoth, and Battle of Endor. The PT factions have the Clones which allow for army customization and were a big part of the Clone Wars show, with the CIS having very different looking droids that make the fact look unique. But, while I can see some appeal for ST era Stormtroopers I don't see the same with the Resistance's forces, most likely due to not really being featured in anything so far and likley not playing much of a part or any really in the new Star Wars Resistance show. So far we've only seen them in the background of TFA when Leia and company lands on Takodana and a couple quick shots aside from the 'salt' scene in TLJ. 

So, is anyone interested in the Resistance aesthetically mostly or functionally in Legion?  

I won't touch anything from the Sequel Trilogy with a ten foot pole.  Not only are the movies weak, the esthetic hasn't really added anything very iconic and cool. The only bit of ST kit I thought was cool was the First Order troop landing craft from TFA.  I honestly can't recall a single thing that was cool from TLJ. (and I mean this from a visual interest perspective regarding ground stuff. I think the Resistance bombers were kinda neat looking, but that's not relevant to SWL.)  

So, no interest here for ST stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Albertese said:

I won't touch anything from the Sequel Trilogy with a ten foot pole.  Not only are the movies weak, the esthetic hasn't really added anything very iconic and cool. The only bit of ST kit I thought was cool was the First Order troop landing craft from TFA.  I honestly can't recall a single thing that was cool from TLJ. (and I mean this from a visual interest perspective regarding ground stuff. I think the Resistance bombers were kinda neat looking, but that's not relevant to SWL.)  

So, no interest here for ST stuff. 

Yes, lets keep it to visuals. I think I'd buy like a squad or two of FO Stormtroopers so I could have, hopefully, the evolution of Stormtrooper armor with Phase 1 and 2 Clones, OT Stormtroopers, and ST Stormtroopers. But, its not like the Republic faction which will probably get me to buy more than I need to paint up appropriate forces for the commanders, thinking of doing some generic squads with at least one squad in that Jedi general's legion colors IE 501st, 212th. 

Of all the eras the Sequel trilogy is definitely the most lackluster (almost a carbon copy of the OT), for the OT I'm going rebels and the Prequels I'm going droids, but Sequels definitely a hard pass. Here's to hoping they don't make them OP to push sales.

I like the films, but the differences aren't enough to justify the cost. It would be great to have the core heroes and villains, but the other units aren't distinct enough. I'm already passing on this the X-wing FO and Resistance factions for the same reason.

Edited by Darth 2Face

Who knows.

Ill definitely get the CW stuff...id have to say I dubt id buy Sequel stuff.  Find it very uninspiring.  Some of it fits....some is just rubbish.

As somebody above mentioned, that dropship is decent...rest is just the proper stuff and they tried o make it look cooler...but made a pigs ear of it.

Gorrilla walkers? Bloody ****.  Would like to see Hondos command cards......

12 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Neat, out of a genuine sense of curiosity, what do you find appealing aesthetically about their troops? Or is there something mechanically you think would be interesting about them? 

I wouldn't say it's for aesthetic reasons, but just the way I play games. If they added VII-IX characters, like Rey and Finn, I'd buy them in a heartbeat, and then for the grunts, my brain would prefer to buy thematic "Resistance" troops for them to lead, rather than Rebel troops.

But, while I love the new trilogy, I agree that they have not added much visual recognition for the everyday soldiers (which honestly, grunts like those on Endor, Hoth in the OT weren't like immediately iconic, they were just background extras, ya know?)

Plus to me, the Resistance has been painted way more as a rag tag group, and hasn't really participated in legit ground battles, they've mostly been space battles, or such small groups like Crait in TLJ, where the soldiers were mostly the named characters anyway.

Again, not really aesthetically a "yes" but a thematic "yes" and is just how my brain operates with games.

4 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

I wouldn't say it's for aesthetic reasons, but just the way I play games. If they added VII-IX characters, like Rey and Finn, I'd buy them in a heartbeat, and then for the grunts, my brain would prefer to buy thematic "Resistance" troops for them to lead, rather than Rebel troops.

But, while I love the new trilogy, I agree that they have not added much visual recognition for the everyday soldiers (which honestly, grunts like those on Endor, Hoth in the OT weren't like immediately iconic, they were just background extras, ya know?)

Plus to me, the Resistance has been painted way more as a rag tag group, and hasn't really participated in legit ground battles, they've mostly been space battles, or such small groups like Crait in TLJ, where the soldiers were mostly the named characters anyway.

Again, not really aesthetically a "yes" but a thematic "yes" and is just how my brain operates with games.

Thanks for the response. I think one of the things that makes the Rebel troopers iconic is that they participated in notable battles in the films which in turn leave an impression of them on the viewer, whereas that focus hasn't been on the Resistance's forces. The best look we even have at them is due to Battlefront 2 (DICE): 

latest?cb=20171004195449latest?cb=20171004195732latest?cb=20171004200106latest?cb=20171004200655

Which just makes them sort of look visually boring, like dirtier rebels I guess. More browns in their uniform's color pallet compared to the generally brighter colors of the Rebels forces. 

1 minute ago, Animewarsdude said:

Thanks for the response. I think one of the things that makes the Rebel troopers iconic is that they participated in notable battles in the films which in turn leave an impression of them on the viewer, whereas that focus hasn't been on the Resistance's forces. The best look we even have at them is due to Battlefront 2 (DICE): 

latest?cb=20171004195449latest?cb=20171004195732latest?cb=20171004200106latest?cb=20171004200655

Which just makes them sort of look visually boring, like dirtier rebels I guess. More browns in their uniform's color pallet compared to the generally brighter colors of the Rebels forces. 

I certainly don't disagree, and is part of my larger gripes about the new trilogy. I bet they'll have some better-looking, or unique look when the Resistance tv show airs.

5 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

I certainly don't disagree, and is part of my larger gripes about the new trilogy. I bet they'll have some better-looking, or unique look when the Resistance tv show airs.

Unfortunately, there might be a bit of a wait for that. Based off what we know so far it will focus mostly on pilots and racing, and some spy work on the part of the main character. It is also set around 6 to 4 months before TFA, at most the Resistance as a military will make it into the finale if not be saved until season 2 likely with the group dealing with the aftermath of TFA+TLJ. The big question will be if the second season will be developed when they have knowledge of Episode 9 so they can include stuff from that or if they will only get to pull from that later. I know Rebels suffered from not getting some stuff until later hence why they used a new combat droid instead of using the type droid K2 was, which was mentioned in some of their behind the scene stuff. 

How would the ST characters work in Legion? The FO has some fairly obvious commander options: Kylo Renn, General Hux, and Captain Phasma. For the Resistance side... General Organa-Solo, maybe Poe Dameron could be a commander? Han Solo should probably be an operative, as should Finn and Rey. Rose Tico certainly isn't commander material. None of these characters are ever really in a commanding role over troops. If you look at the actual troops, it's just the resistance fighters and the FO Stormtroopers. Not a lot of interesting options. No emplacement weapons. The FO seems to have pretty standard AT-STs and the Resistance has those ski-speeders from Krayt. If anything, there might be a bigger push to have starfighters strafe ground targets as that seems to be a bigger thing in the ST than earlier eras. That might be neat. 

I will buy everything for this game, and I enjoy the sequel trilogy - 

however

the point stands.  The resistance lacks in the visual appeal for sure.  Need some type of crazy exciting new visuals next film.  Like troopers in meh suits like from Alien or Powered Armor, lightsaber Nunchucks, and hover surf boards. 

6 minutes ago, Albertese said:

The FO seems to have pretty standard AT-STs and the Resistance has those ski-speeders from Krayt.

Yup, I'm sure someone could make an argument for it being too similar to the Empire's AT-ST but well, the Republic will likely get the same AT-RT with a new rider.

Image result for at-st first orderImage result for at-st

6 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

the point stands.  The resistance lacks in the visual appeal for sure.  Need some type of crazy exciting new visuals next film.  Like troopers in meh suits like from Alien or Powered Armor, lightsaber Nunchucks, and hover surf boards. 

I mean, they'd need something to repel the FO from styling all over them.

Image result for first order baton gif

I think we need to wait and see Episode 9 before getting the Resistance in the game. To be fair, if we only judge the Rebellion fighters from episode 4 and 5, it would probably look the same as the Resistance we have now. Fleet trooper, Hoth trooper and that's pretty much it. 

As for me, I could be interested in a Resistance army (more than I currently am in a Rebellion one in fact), if only to field Rose Tico and then look at some grown up throw a tantrum about how much they hated the Last Jedi. 

18 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

I will buy everything for this game, and I enjoy the sequel trilogy - 

however

This is pretty much my thoughts as well (maybe wothout the mechs, nunchucks and surfboards).  None of the sequel trilogy (which I really enjoy) has included anything much for planetside combat and what is there isn’t readily translatable to Legion.  We have walkers and rusty speeders and that’s about it.  FO stormtroopers.

So yeah, it’s not that I’m opposed to the new trilogy.  But I don’t really know what they would do with the resistance.

Edited by BigBadAndy

I would like to have anything Star Wars as far as I am concerned. 

I think the differnce of the OT and the ST is the importance of the Civil War going on. The sequel trilogy seems to focus more on the personal conflicts of the main characters with the civil war being in the background. The Resistance is just trying to survive so far as they are vastly outnumbered. Hopefully Episode IX will focus on the Resistance gaining support against the First Order and at least give us an Endor like battle where even though it may be small it becomes the battle that helps turn the tide. 

I can just see it now, the Resistance takes down the First Order with the help of the Porgs.

3 minutes ago, C3POFETT said:

I would like to have anything Star Wars as far as I am concerned. 

I think the differnce of the OT and the ST is the importance of the Civil War going on. The sequel trilogy seems to focus more on the personal conflicts of the main characters with the civil war being in the background. The Resistance is just trying to survive so far as they are vastly outnumbered. Hopefully Episode IX will focus on the Resistance gaining support against the First Order and at least give us an Endor like battle where even though it may be small it becomes the battle that helps turn the tide. 

I can just see it now, the Resistance takes down the First Order with the help of the Porgs.

The Sequel trilogy setting is more the end of a Cold War than a Civil War. When the First Order strikes at the Republic, it's their first big attack that opens the conflict. Think of it like it is their Pearl Harbour that start their conquest of the galaxy.

I totally agree...

I like the new movies, especially if I think of them as alternate universe reboots, but Disney/Lucasfilm really dropped the ball on the hyper nostalgic designs that are basically... boring!

Its a shame too cause the art books show so many cool concepts, why they decided to cash grab nostalgia... *shakes head*