Sign in to follow this  
ForceSensitive

Jedi Starfighter and the Hyperspace Ring, and what else is to come down the line

Just now, ForceSensitive said:

I think the option of having a medium size base with a model that you could just drop off somewhere and leave it as a bump stop obstacle to admit folks. 

That would be a super neat mechanic. Have the hyper ring be a token you can deploy after setup and start 'docked' to.

8 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

If they were to add it, its be interesting to see considering there were three variants, one meant for the Delta 7, one for the Eta-2, and one for the V-19.

Image result for Syliure-45 hyperdrive moduleRelated image

Image result for Syliure-45 hyperdrive module

Seems rather wasteful doesn’t it?  Could they have made it adaptable?

1 hour ago, ForceSensitive said:

I think the option of having a medium size base with a model that you could just drop off somewhere and leave it as a bump stop obstacle to admit folks. 

I think the ring would still be well within small size.  It’s barely any wider than the Aethersprite which is tiny.

From a game mechanics viewpoint, whether a ship can enter Hyperspace is irrelevant. The standard TIEs don't have that function, according to old lore TIE Advanced did (this is why the T-65s were such a pain for the Empire, they'd do the old hit and fade trick).

I don't know what game mechanic the big ring thing can add.

7 minutes ago, TheEldarGuy said:

I don't know what game mechanic the big ring thing can add.

Put your ship into reserve from any point on the board; return to any point on the board the next turn (or something like that -- see Moralo Eva).

I've been hoping for the jedi fighter with the ring for a long time, so I'll definitely add my voice to this thread!

That said, I've thought about this and I think the following game mechanic could be fair with the fighter starting docked in the ring:

• This ship cannot attack while docked in the hyperspace ring
  • Either before or after this ship's movement, it may move an additional 5 straight
  • Action: undock this ship from the hyperspace ring and remove the ring from the board

In this way, it truly becomes just a positional piece, but does cost you something to transition between docked/undocked.  I think it would be a fun mechanic for the opening of the game.

1 hour ago, dadocollin said:

I've been hoping for the jedi fighter with the ring for a long time, so I'll definitely add my voice to this thread!

That said, I've thought about this and I think the following game mechanic could be fair with the fighter starting docked in the ring:

• This ship cannot attack while docked in the hyperspace ring
  • Either before or after this ship's movement, it may move an additional 5 straight
  • Action: undock this ship from the hyperspace ring and remove the ring from the board

In this way, it truly becomes just a positional piece, but does cost you something to transition between docked/undocked.  I think it would be a fun mechanic for the opening of the game.

I still don't like a hyperspace mechanic for standard play, but for a maneuver mechanic I rather like this.  It just needs to be simplified to fit better with existing rules:

Dock at range 0

2 Hull (it remains on table - they got blown up all the time)

When docked, the ship may take damage on the ring's hull (same as Escape Pod)

Provides SLAM action.

Ship is Disarmed as long as it's docked

Edit: Nuts - it probably needs to reduce Agility.  Ugh.

Edited by Bad Idea Comics