Sign in to follow this  
ForceSensitive

Jedi Starfighter and the Hyperspace Ring, and what else is to come down the line

We know that the first revealed ships for the prequel era (that actually will belong to the new clone wars factions) are the Sith Infiltrator and the Jedi Starfighter. We also know that there's a marked push for the 2.0 models to be posable. Also we know that the game will retain docking mechanics. So really this discussion is about whether or not the new JSF will come packaged with a separate hyperspace ring that it can physically slot into like the New/Old/New Falcon will with it's shuttle. (I can't believe I have to type that BTW, not even sure I got it right) I feel like since the Infiltrator is going to be at least medium, and maybe deserves to be large, having the JSF as just a blister pack with only a small ship wouldn't really fit. To my mind the only other alternative would be an Ace's pack later that includes it but why miss the opportunity now? So Discuss and stuff and argues and stuff. 

Either way I got a dude who will 3D print the parts for me if FFG disappoints in a big way on this. Please FFG, don't disappoint on this.

I don't think so, since well the Hyperspace ring doesn't really add any combat ability to the ship, just makes it so that it can jump to lightspeed. That said I expect to see stuff popping up on Shapeways once the dimensions of the Jedi Starfighter is known for people who want it. 

2 minutes ago, Shadow345 said:

Maybe it will add a deep strike game mechanic.

That would be kind of cool. Allow you to take an action to place your ship in reserve or something.

But if they did that, then it would beg the question- why can't all the other ships in the game that have hyperdrives do the same thing?

I don’t see any reason to include the hyperspace ring. It doesn’t look particularly cool and doesn’t thematically add anything to the ship’s in game abilities. If they were going to add the ability to hyperspace into a battle, they would have done so with the new core, it really doesn’t make sense to try and shoehorn in that kind of a mechanic almost immediately after a new edition launches. 

Now, thinking about it while I don't see them adding a plastic piece for it they could always give the ship it as a upgrade option to either save your Jedi ship in reserve until after everyone else places their stuff, though with Jedi likely having good initiative that is less useful, or they could treat it sort of like Boba or the like which lets you deploy them in the play area instead, sort of like 1.0 Resistance Han. 

Without Hyperspace as a mechanic in the game, I can't really see the ring making a gameplay appearance. Most anything it should be able to add to the Jedi starfighter, any ship with a hyperdrive should be able to do, unless I'm missing something.

But like @Animewarsdude said, it'll definitely pop up as an option to mod the base model with.

1 hour ago, Animewarsdude said:

Now, thinking about it while I don't see them adding a plastic piece for it they could always give the ship it as a upgrade option to either save your Jedi ship in reserve until after everyone else places their stuff, though with Jedi likely having good initiative that is less useful, or they could treat it sort of like Boba or the like which lets you deploy them in the play area instead, sort of like 1.0 Resistance Han. 

Yes, but then, as @Herowannabe and @Forgottenlore have mentioned, Why wouldn't all other ships with hyperspace be able to do the same thing?

This has actually been one of my biggest complaints about x-wing since I started 2.5 years ago,  that there is no Hyperspace anything abilities.  I feel like it would be a really fun and thematic way to have ships be more differentiated from each other, as well as being a very memorable part of most Star Wars films.

For instance, If Hyperspace was a thing, would you take:

• The K-wing, which has more armour and weapons but no hyperdrive
  • Or the Y-wing, which is a bit lighter armed and armoured, but does have a hyperdrive

Or which would win in a fight between:

• The X-wing, which is a good all-round ship, with hyperdrive, decent weapons, and a spot of ordnance
  • The TIE/sa bomber with plenty of ordnance, but limited manoeuvrability and no hyperdrive
  • The V-19 Torrent, with powerful weapons and high manoeuvrability, but needs to dock with a hyperspace ring (greatly reducing its other capabilities) in order to gain the benefits of hyperspace?

I just think It would be a really fun way of increasing the thematic-ness of the game, and giving each ship/faction more of a distinct identity.

Edited by Infinite_Maelstrom
Defender of the Empire

Maybe they’ll do a campaign pack like Corellian Conflict for Armada down the line where hyperspace mechanics are an important part of the campaign (which, they actually did with CC. There are a couple specific missions and abilities where hyperspacing in mid-game is a thing, but only in CC can you hyperspace out of a battle).

Perhaps when they rerelease epic ships, since the Gozanti would be all but required for the Empire to make use of hyperspace mechanics. 

3 minutes ago, Infinite_Maelstrom said:

Yes, but then, as @Herowannabe and @Forgottenlore have mentioned, Why wouldn't all other ships with hyperspace be able to do the same thing?

This has actually been one of my biggest complaints about x-wing since I started 2.5 years ago,  that there is no Hyperspace anything abilities.  I feel like it would be a really fun and thematic way to have ships be more differentiated from each other, as well as being a very memorable part of most Star Wars films.

For instance, If Hyperspace was a thing, would you take:

• The K-wing, which has more armour and weapons but no hyperdrive
  • Or the Y-wing, which is a bit lighter armed and armoured, but does have a hyperdrive

Or which would win in a fight between:

• The X-wing, which is a good all-round ship, with hyperdrive, decent weapons, and a spot of ordnance
  • The TIE/sa bomber with plenty of ordnance, but limited manoeuvrability and no hyperdrive
  • The V-19 Torrent, with powerful weapons and high manoeuvrability, but needs to dock with a hyperspace ring (greatly reducing its other capabilities) in order to gain the benefits of hyperspace?

I just think It would be a really fun way of increasing the thematic-ness of the game, and giving each ship/faction more of an distinct identity.

I mostly thought of the idea and mentioned it due to the fact that it has an accessory that could be represented by a upgrade slot, and that it seems that the Devs like to play with gimmicks and it would give a new tool for deployment for ships with that slot going forward or even if it was locked in as some kind of configuration or whatever. I DON'T NEED it, but if the devs want to do it they could play with the idea.

Also, nothing to do with the Hyperspace Ring, but I do think 2.0 has some kind of Hyperspace Escalation thing, not as fleshed out as you might like but hey it is a thing.

Just now, Herowannabe said:

Maybe they’ll do a campaign pack like Corellian Conflict for Armada down the line where hyperspace mechanics are an important part of the campaign (which, they actually did with CC. There are a couple specific missions and abilities where hyperspacing in mid-game is a thing, but only in CC can you hyperspace out of a battle).

Perhaps when they rerelease epic ships, since the Gozanti would be all but required for the Empire to make use of hyperspace mechanics. 

That would be cool, throw in some objective based missions or the like and it would make for some great fun. 

25 minutes ago, Shadow345 said:

In the realm of all things hyperdrive, I always figured thematically the gameplay took place after a drop out of hyperdrive.

I think like with Armada that is the idea, that both factions have dropped out of hyperspace, or were ambushed and have squared up, launched fighters, charged shields and are ready to fight.

2 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

That would be a moderately interesting approach. Generally the small ships that have been included in huge packs have been there to justify releasing a fix card. If that is no longer needed, I would be ok with them including 1-2 rings as part of a republic epic release that included campaign rules for hyperspace. Tournament players wouldn’t need to buy plastic they don’t need the, and narrative players could get enhanced options for scenarios with a cool little doodad. If your already buying a huge ship because you want the huge ship (as opposed for the tournament necessary cards) you’re probably not going to mindthe extra figthat can’t be used in tournaments. 

Yeah, I’d be ok with that approach. 

@ffg do it like that. 

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

I'm in a distinct minority but I love the design of the hyperspace ring.  I could definitely see them putting it in, maybe as a boba-crew-style alternate setup mechanic.

Sold. 

To be clear, I hated the idea for it, but now I see a swarm of these dropping in at various points across the combat zone and it looks freaking cool. 

Edited by Sk3tch

7 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

I think like with Armada that is the idea, that both factions have dropped out of hyperspace, or were ambushed and have squared up, launched fighters, charged shields and are ready to fight.

When I play Armada I feel like more often than not the deployment phase is the drop from hyperspace. Particularly because you have to drop a ship first and then the squadrons drop as though they launched from that ship. I like how Armada years hyperspace with many of is mechanics snow to augment that part of the game play

Whilst I'd love to see them include the Ring model just for cools, it's hard to see what gameplay element it could add that every ship with a hyperdrive shouldn't have access to.

They could make something up about it augmenting the ship's sunlight engines in addition to the hyperspace capability, in which case it could give you slam or free boosts at the expense of agility or something.

I love the idea of a hyperspace mechanic for Epic play and I hope to see hyperspace rings for 2.0 Epic, but not for standard play.  Standard games don't have the time to have multiple units in reserve and entire squads could start that way (rebs especially).  Epic has both the room and the time to make a hyperspace mechanic work incredibly well.  This would likely require a hyperspace drive upcharge for any unit coming in that way and the app can easily add that availability to the appropriate ships for that particular gameplay mode.  One more advantage to how 2.0 is set up - expandable in some very interesting ways.  Let's hope they had this sort of thing in mind, and if they didn't, HEY DEVs, feel free to use this concept at no charge and with my pleasure and even insistence!