Sign in to follow this  
Giledhil

Mat sizes

47 minutes ago, ObiWonka said:

Has math changed since I was last in school or isn't that rounding down??

It certainly is, but not being a native english speaker, I just remembered from school "rounding up" as a translation to the french "arrondir à", which doesn't specify up or down ?
Won't make this mistake twice now !

Edited by Giledhil

1 hour ago, Giledhil said:

It certainly is, but not being a native english speaker, I just remembered from school "rounding up" as a translation to the french "arrondir à", which doesn't specify up or down ?
Won't make this mistake twice now !

Your English is infinitely better than my French, so no worries! I just can't resist a good joke. :)

3 hours ago, Giledhil said:

A quick question for those who have official mats, before I make my new custom one.

Are the dimensions really 3'x3' (91,4 cm), or are they rounded up to 90cm (would make sense since its 3 range rulers exactly)?

Thanks !

They're supposed to be 3'. The only mat I have seen at 90cm is an unofficial one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Guard-Mystic-Space-Multi-Colour/dp/B016PGP1RE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534972134&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ultimate+guard+90+x+90

It shouldnt matter much.   It would be very bad sportsmanship to make an issue of something like this when it has virtually no effect on the game and affects both players equally.

For example baseball fields have slighty different sizes and everyone understands that its still a field.  Youre talking about 1/2 of a ships base differnce

1 hour ago, Vontoothskie said:

It shouldnt matter much.   It would be very bad sportsmanship to make an issue of something like this when it has virtually no effect on the game and affects both players equally.

For example baseball fields have slighty different sizes and everyone understands that its still a field.  Youre talking about 1/2 of a ships base differnce

Yeah, because nothing in this game has ever been decided by 1/2 a base length, especially not something as trivial as flying off the board...

2 hours ago, JasonCole said:

Yeah, because nothing in this game has ever been decided by 1/2 a base length, especially not something as trivial as flying off the board...

I mean, you move with a maneuver template.... not the board?  at least where i play

the only conceivable way this matters is if someone has measured their exact starting location and planned their maneuvers in advance, plotting a course within a half inch of the board edge... but why would anyone do that?

and if they did then how do we rescue them from whatever hellish X-wing gulag is forcing them to practice that way?

Personally I would be way more concerned about how fast and loose people place their templates and ships.  games are more often changed dramatically by accidental bumps or not lining up templates correctly than by someone measuring board edge to board edge in their head and using that as the basis for a maneuver.   a 5 degree angle change or less than honest barrel roll can line up shots or escape them

7 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

I mean, you move with a maneuver template.... not the board?  at least where i play

the only conceivable way this matters is if someone has measured their exact starting location and planned their maneuvers in advance, plotting a course within a half inch of the board edge... but why would anyone do that?

and if they did then how do we rescue them from whatever hellish X-wing gulag is forcing them to practice that way?

That half base messes up the rule of 11. Obviously that’s important, right?

Edited by PaulRuddSays

18 hours ago, nexttwelveexits said:

I find it works best to actually look at the board before dialing in a maneuver

I dunno man, when youre as bad at Xwing as I am, NOT looking at the board and blindly dialing in a move is your best bet!

Opponent: "OMGZ, you did <insert amazing manuveur here>!  

Me:  "What can I say?  Git Gud."