Sign in to follow this  
Shadow345

What is the least effective upgrade?

There are definitely some cards that have very niche uses. For example I like the Quad Turbolasers on Warlord, lets you spike the damage up a bit.

Also been liking Tantive IV lately, partly because my now-limited-to-two GR-75s were busy doing other things, but also because of the shenanigans it allows. An MC80 that Raddus has just brought out of hyperspace loves getting two tokens from Hondo straight away...

One of my favourite aspects of Armada is seeing the novel uses people come up with for obscure cards. But an app system to adjust card points might not be a bad idea...

1 minute ago, Dreadnowt said:

Also been liking Tantive IV lately, partly because my now-limited-to-two GR-75s were busy doing other things, but also because of the shenanigans it allows. An MC80 that Raddus has just brought out of hyperspace loves getting two tokens from Hondo straight away...

Thats another reason why i have Tantive IV in my fleet. My Phoenix Home loves to get 4 tokens in round 1 via Hondo and Tantive IV.

8 hours ago, OlaphOfTheNorth said:

For my money it's quad turbolaser cannons, which are both pricier and less effective than H9s. There is no scenario where I don't take H9s instead.

Use them with a Vader Cymoon. You roll accuracies so often with that dice pool, it effectively becomes a slightly more flexible extra red die for one point more expensive than Spinals. You roll the dice, add the accuracy die, and then re-roll it if you want with Vader. Vader+Spinals+QTCs are a very scary Cymoon.

Edited by Truthiness

1 hour ago, Truthiness said:

Use them with a Vader Cymoon. You roll accuracies so often with that dice pool, it effectively becomes a slightly more flexible extra red die for one point more expensive than Spinals. You roll the dice, add the accuracy die, and then re-roll it if you want with Vader. Vader+Spinals+QTCs are a very scary Cymoon.

Vader Cymoon + Spinals + QTCs + Jonus = I am become death, destroyer of MSU. You can do something similar in a fleet with the Home One title.

QTCs aren't a fundamental upgrade, but they've got niche uses where they shine. Nothing wrong with that, really, and not nearly as bad as some of the other stinkers on this thread.

On a related side note, I've seen Tantive IV and Raymus (wave one tech, woo!) making a minor comeback in some Intensify Firepower Pelta gunline lists where the fleet wants all the guns it can get and doesn't want to spend any points on flotillas that don't benefit from IF.

Edited by Snipafist

2 hours ago, Truthiness said:

That's two turbolaser upgrades (EA and QTC), which is not allowed on the MC80A. 

Yeah I had meant to say replace EA with QTC to get to 9, but the math doesn’t work to beat a cymoon. You roll 7 and go up to 8 with that extra accuracy. Though both ships have access to ConFireand then Most Wanted, or Opening Salvo to get to 10-11 each

Edited by Church14

3 hours ago, Ling27 said:

In my opinion, any card that is one use only. While yes, they can be really good and get you some great results (looking at external racks), they can have dramatic downsides.

1: If the ship equiped with the one use only, dies before it is used, then you wasted it.

That applies to literally everything. If you spend 13 points on Expanded Launchers and die before you get to use it, it's wasted points isn't it? But also, if you only get to use it once, you would have been better off with External Racks for 10 points less. 

1 hour ago, Lochlan said:

That applies to literally everything. If you spend 13 points on Expanded Launchers and die before you get to use it, it's wasted points isn't it? But also, if you only get to use it once, you would have been better off with External Racks for 10 points less. 

Well, yeah. Expanded launchers reachs the other end of the spectrum. Its too costly for its reward.

30 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

So far unmentioned:

Director Isard

Corruptor

Rapid Reload

Redundant Shields

Sensor Team

Redemption

C'mon, guys.  We're better than this.

Corruptor used to have use- especially flinging Rhymerballs, so people have lingering memories of it.

Redundant shields saves as much damage as non ECM/EWS defense retros for a comparable price.

Ginkapo championed Sensor Teams on MC30s

Isard has limited use for newbies learning to use Slicer Tools when given choices.

But I’m not going to defend Rapid Reload or Redemption though.

4 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Corruptor used to have use- especially flinging Rhymerballs, so people have lingering memories of it.

Redundant shields saves as much damage as non ECM/EWS defense retros for a comparable price.

Ginkapo championed Sensor Teams on MC30s

Isard has limited use for newbies learning to use Slicer Tools when given choices.

But I’m not going to defend Rapid Reload or Redemption though.

Not really sure the rest of those are defenses either... ?

Okay, maybe Sensor Teams doesn't suck as much as the others.  Maybe.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

18 hours ago, svelok said:

latest?cb=20150903032941

I often use this card on my ISDs. At the first look it might not be that powerful. But I like any game mechanic where you can force your opponent to make compromises. Especially when attacking ships with all their defense tokens ready this card raises the chance that your firepower comes down where you want the damage to be.

12 hours ago, Snipafist said:

nk-7-ion-cannons.png

There are some real stinkers in there (Heavy Turbolaser Turrets, Point Defense Reroute, Redundant Shields, Dominator title, etc.), but NK-7 Ion Cannons is the King Turd upgrade.

• Uses the ion cannon slot you probably should've been using for HIEs, Leading Shots, or SW-7s
  • TEN points
  • Requires a blue crit
  • Exhausts to use
  • Opponent gets to choose the token
  • Token removed after the spend defense tokens step

It's really really bad.

I totally agree with you and I never used this card either. But just thinking about this card on the Interdictor with Interdictor title. You can use the NK-7 in another round with effectively lowers your point cost down to 6.5 (10 NK7 + 3 Interdictor / 2 times usable)...

59 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Corruptor

Even with a lot more stuff available in Armada since Wave I Corruptor is a frequent guest in my Armada lists. I still often usa a VSD I Rhymer-carrier with Corruptor and Expanded Hangar supported by a Bomber-Command Gozanti. This combo is just 157 Pts..... anyway in my oppinion VSDs are still the imperiale workhorses - so Corruptor still in business.

Edited by Jimbo2142

59 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

So far unmentioned:

Rapid Reload

I have about 8 or more Rapid Reload promo cards that will never be used. To the point that I tried to think of a list that could use them. Everytime Enchanced Armament as the modification or External Racks in the ordnance slot was a better choice.

20 minutes ago, Jimbo2142 said:

I totally agree with you and I never used this card either. But just thinking about this card on the Interdictor with Interdictor title. You can use the NK-7 in another round with effectively lowers your point cost down to 6.5 (10 NK7 + 3 Interdictor / 2 times usable)...

Most upgrade cards can be used every round.  It seems like you're thinking of using NK-7s for multiple attacks from a single Interdictor, which remains impossible.  The Interdictor title triggers "when a ship activates."  No ship can activate between your attacks, so no synergy.

As for Corruptor, it suffers from overarching problems with the Rhymerball and VSD in general.  Not just from Rieekan aces, or Sloane, but even from newer Thrawn/bomber lists.  Superior flak and an ISD offer serious advantages.   VSD Rhymerballs might be a lot of fun, but if they were competitive, they'd show up in competitive events.  But the title itself?  Fair enough, in a vacuum TIE bomber speed buffs aren't half bad.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

3 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Most upgrade cards can be used every round.  It seems like you're thinking of using NK-7s for multiple attacks from a single Interdictor, which remains impossible.  The Interdictor title triggers "when a ship activates."  No ship can activate between your attacks, so no synergy.

I was talking about that you can use NK-7 a second time in a different round/activation, not 2 times in one Interdictors activation :)

Edited by Jimbo2142

1 minute ago, Jimbo2142 said:

I was talking about that you can use NK-7 a second time in a different round/activation, not 2 times in one Interdictors activation :)

Every "exhaust" card refreshes between rounds (and can therefore be used once per activation and once per round)...  So what role does the Interdictor title play here?

On 8/22/2018 at 8:24 AM, Drasnighta said:

How many posts before I mention Cluster Bombs?

Fite me.

They're a weird one.  Seems too expensive for a single-use upgrade, but also too cheap for something that can do four unbraceable damage to Luke or Maarek.

Just now, rasproteus said:

Fite me.

Why, you feel like beating up the perpetual loser?  

I stand by my assessment - they, in their own roundabout way, save you 3 points of damage a game - on par with every other Non EWS/ECM defensive retrofit

Lets talk about my favorate missle upgrade, assault concussion missles. 7 points for lots of fun damage, they are good for setting up shots. I took out 2 ISDs in one match with a demo and vic 1 using them.

But, they dont give that faceup crit that goes through shields. So, yeah.

Edited by Ling27