Sign in to follow this  
Shadow345

What is the least effective upgrade?

4 minutes ago, OlaphOfTheNorth said:

For my money it's quad turbolaser cannons, which are both pricier and less effective than H9s. There is no scenario where I don't take H9s instead.

I've used them to good effect on Vader Cymoon ISDs. They're great at killing smaller ships - you're able to shut down both tokens on a flotilla, or both evades on a CR90. You'really need vader to give you a good chance of an accuracy, but when you do they're better than H9s as you don't give up damage to generate an accuracy - very important on swingy red dice.

5 minutes ago, Hedgehogmech said:

I've used them to good effect on Vader Cymoon ISDs. They're great at killing smaller ships - you're able to shut down both tokens on a flotilla, or both evades on a CR90. You'really need vader to give you a good chance of an accuracy, but when you do they're better than H9s as you don't give up damage to generate an accuracy - very important on swingy red dice.

Fair enough; I play about 80% rebel.

27 minutes ago, duck_bird said:

QTCs is fun on a cymoon with spinals, because it's the only way you can possibly roll 8 red dice at something.

Ackbar Defiance MC80A can roll 9 total (4+ 2 (Ackbar) + 1 (Conc Fire) +1 (Defiance) +1 (Enhanced Armament or QTC)). You could then possibly add Home One for 10.

1 hour ago, OlaphOfTheNorth said:

For my money it's quad turbolaser cannons, which are both pricier and less effective than H9s. There is no scenario where I don't take H9s instead.

This is a great upgrade! It allows an extra "modification" to get an extra red die. It's super flexible in the right build. Get an extra accuracy when needed, or add it and reroll it in hopes for more damage. It's a 10 point Spinal Armament with some flexibility for accuracy with the chance of wiffing.

Works wonders in Vader Commander lists with ISD 2, Cymoon, VSD2. You should try.

50 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

Tantive IV

Fire Control Team

Sensor Team

Redemption

Tantive IV is great if you want Coms Net but dont have place for a Flotilla in your fleet! (Assuming you already use a CR90 in that fleet)

4 minutes ago, >kkj said:

Tantive IV is great if you want Coms Net but dont have place for a Flotilla in your fleet! (Assuming you already use a CR90 in that fleet)

Why don't you have room for a flotilla? And Jaina's Light is far superior. 

1 minute ago, Undeadguy said:

Why don't you have room for a flotilla? And Jaina's Light is far superior. 

Maybe because i want to use those 20 points for other stuff? You dont have to use a flottilla all the time, especially in the current meta. My tournament list for this saturdays store championship has Tantive IV in it because i want to have slicer tools on my GR75

nk-7-ion-cannons.png

There are some real stinkers in there (Heavy Turbolaser Turrets, Point Defense Reroute, Redundant Shields, Dominator title, etc.), but NK-7 Ion Cannons is the King Turd upgrade.

• Uses the ion cannon slot you probably should've been using for HIEs, Leading Shots, or SW-7s
  • TEN points
  • Requires a blue crit
  • Exhausts to use
  • Opponent gets to choose the token
  • Token removed after the spend defense tokens step

It's really really bad.

Edited by Snipafist

9 minutes ago, Snipafist said:

nk-7-ion-cannons.png

There are some real stinkers in there (Heavy Turbolaser Turrets, Point Defense Reroute, Redundant Shields, Dominator title, etc.), but NK-7 Ion Cannons is the King Turd upgrade.

• Uses the ion cannon slot you probably should've been using for HIEs, Leading Shots, or SW-7s
  • TEN points
  • Requires a blue crit
  • Exhausts to use
  • Opponent gets to choose the token
  • Token removed after the spend defense tokens step

It's really really bad.

I would theoretically take it in a liberty, gladiator, and AFmk2 heavy meta. Anything with non redundant tokens really.

19 minutes ago, >kkj said:

Maybe because i want to use those 20 points for other stuff? You dont have to use a flottilla all the time, especially in the current meta. My tournament list for this saturdays store championship has Tantive IV in it because i want to have slicer tools on my GR75

Yea so drop Tantive IV for comms net and you have 30ish points to use. 

Just because you want to run something doesn't mean it's good. I use to run Tantilles and it was fun because it was comms net with dice but over twice the cost. People stopped playing it because comms net is cheaper and you can take 2 in place for a CR90. Double activations and token flexibility was a nice buff for large ships. 

1 hour ago, Undeadguy said:

Yea so drop Tantive IV for comms net and you have 30ish points to use. 

Just because you want to run something doesn't mean it's good. I use to run Tantilles and it was fun because it was comms net with dice but over twice the cost. People stopped playing it because comms net is cheaper and you can take 2 in place for a CR90. Double activations and token flexibility was a nice buff for large ships. 

I dont play the CR90 for the Tantive IV title... i play it because it has a place in my fleet as a MS-1 boat. But since i already have a CR90 in my fleet i can use slicer teams on my GR75 which is great and thats what i mean. You dont play a CR90 for Tantive IV but using Tantive IV when playing a CR90 can be worth it, thats my point

In my opinion, any card that is one use only. While yes, they can be really good and get you some great results (looking at external racks), they can have dramatic downsides.

1: If the ship equiped with the one use only, dies before it is used, then you wasted it.

2: if the one use wiffs, then its wasted. Sure, things like external racks still get ordinance experts... but if OEs didnt exist then Racks would suffer.

3: they still count toward points after the ship is destroyed. So even if it goes off well, then you get blown up... your opponant still gets the points.

4: You used the one use only thing, on your first shot! Now you have a second shot, or the ship survives for longer than that turn. Are you wasting a combat effective ship just because you blew the glass cannon's shot?

There are multiple reasons, but those are the main ones why i dont personally like using 1 use only upgrades, or upgrades that limit you.