Sign in to follow this  
Zamalekite

Jamming Barrier and Adding Dice

I've seen there's already been a fair bit of discussion about the order in which Jamming Barrier works with Obstructed but there are other effects that I'm wondering about how they interact with Jamming Barrier.

As I understand it - Jamming Barrier kicks in between steps 2 and 3 of the Attack process - i.e. the dice are removed before rolling

“While attacking, if neither the attacker or defender are overlapping an objective token and line of sight is traced across an objective token or the line between the two objective tokens, the attacker must choose and remove half of the dice from the attack pool, rounded down, before rolling.”

So effects or modifications that add dice to the battery armament will be affected by Jamming Barrier (e.g. Spinal Armament, Expanded Launchers, Enhanced Armament etc) but effects, upgrades that add dice after rolling won't be affected by JB (e.g. Concentrate Fire, External Racks). But there are a number of upgrades I'm not clear on when they should kick in - e.g. what about Slaved Turrets, Defiance, 

Wrt to Obstructed - reading through the topics the consensus seems to be that the Obstructed effect happens first, i.e. you remove a dice from the pool, then you remove half the dice (rounding down the amount that you remove). 

i.e. the removing of dice from JB happens just before you roll.

Is the list here on the wikia page correct in terms of which effects happen before the roll?

http://starwars-armada.wikia.com/wiki/Roll_Attack_Dice 

• General Cracken (Rebel Commander)
  • Admiral Montferrat (Imperial Officer)
  • Jaina's Light (CR90 Title)
  • Insidious (Gladiator Title)
  • Stronghold (Quasar Fire Title)
  • Jamming Field (Fleet Support)
  • Expanded Launchers (Ordnance)
  • Rapid Reload (Ordnance)
  • Enhanced Armament (Turbolasers)
  • Slaved Turrets (Turbolasers)
  • Spinal Armament (Turbolasers)
  • High-Capacity Ion Turbines (Ion Cannons)
  • Disposable Capacitors (Offensive Retrofits)
  • Flight Controllers (Weapons Team)

Scenario

So speed 2 ISD Cymoon with Spinal Armaments, Quad Battery Turrets and Concentrate Fire shooting across the barrier at medium range at a speed 3 ship with Montferrat onboard would first form the attack pool of 5 red dice and 2 blue dice + 1 red for Spinal Armaments - 1 dice for Montferrat = 7 dice total.

They then have to remove half of the dice rounding down so they have to remove 3 dice leaving them with 4 dice to roll. 

After they have rolled the dice they can then add + 1 blue dice for QBTs and +1 dice for CF if they want to. Meaning they could roll a total of 6 dice through the course of the attack.

Am I understanding that all correctly?

If the word is “add”, then it happens after rolling during the modify dice step.

Note that Spinal, EA and Expabded launchers DO NOT use “add”.

they use “Increase”and “battery”

Thus is very distinct.

Any of the effects listed under modify dice - add, cancel, etc, happen under modify dice unless otherwise stated.

Removing or ignoring damage happens at the damage step, after dice. Are turned into damage points.

Edited by Drasnighta

Just now, Drasnighta said:

If the word is “add”, then it happens after rolling during the modify dice step.

Note that Spinal, EA and Expabded launchers DO NOT use “add”.

they use “Increase”and “battery”

Thus is very distinct.

Thanks. This is why I'm wondering that list I've posted from wikia is correct, for example Slaved Turrets says:

"While attacking a ship, add 1 red die to your attack pool."

Which would suggest it happens in step 3, not step 2.

So anything that says "add" is not affected by Jamming Barrier? 

Just now, Zamalekite said:

Thanks. This is why I'm wondering that list I've posted from wikia is correct, for example Slaved Turrets says:

"While attacking a ship, add 1 red die to your attack pool."

Which would suggest it happens in step 3, not step 2.

So anything that says "add" is not affected by Jamming Barrier? 

correct, as it applies after rolling dice as a step, and is instead a modification

On 8/22/2018 at 2:12 PM, Zamalekite said:

Is the list here on the wikia page correct in terms of which effects happen before the roll?

I deleted Slaved Turrets from the list. When you notice mistakes at the wiki please correct them or at least leave me a comment at the according site.

On 8/22/2018 at 2:12 PM, Zamalekite said:

I've seen there's already been a fair bit of discussion about the order in which Jamming Barrier works with Obstructed but there are other effects that I'm wondering about how they interact with Jamming Barrier.

As I understand it - Jamming Barrier kicks in between steps 2 and 3 of the Attack process - i.e. the dice are removed before rolling

“While attacking, if neither the attacker or defender are overlapping an objective token and line of sight is traced across an objective token or the line between the two objective tokens, the attacker must choose and remove half of the dice from the attack pool, rounded down, before rolling.”

So effects or modifications that add dice to the battery armament will be affected by Jamming Barrier (e.g. Spinal Armament, Expanded Launchers, Enhanced Armament etc) but effects, upgrades that add dice after rolling won't be affected by JB (e.g. Concentrate Fire, External Racks). But there are a number of upgrades I'm not clear on when they should kick in - e.g. what about Slaved Turrets, Defiance, 

Wrt to Obstructed - reading through the topics the consensus seems to be that the Obstructed effect happens first, i.e. you remove a dice from the pool, then you remove half the dice (rounding down the amount that you remove). 

i.e. the removing of dice from JB happens just before you roll.

Scenario

So speed 2 ISD Cymoon with Spinal Armaments, Quad Battery Turrets and Concentrate Fire shooting across the barrier at medium range at a speed 3 ship with Montferrat onboard would first form the attack pool of 5 red dice and 2 blue dice + 1 red for Spinal Armaments - 1 dice for Montferrat = 7 dice total.

They then have to remove half of the dice rounding down so they have to remove 3 dice leaving them with 4 dice to roll. 

After they have rolled the dice they can then add + 1 blue dice for QBTs and +1 dice for CF if they want to. Meaning they could roll a total of 6 dice through the course of the attack.

Am I understanding that all correctly?

Don't put both Qbt and spinal on the same ship...

11 hours ago, Triangular said:

I deleted Slaved Turrets from the list. When you notice mistakes at the wiki please correct them or at least leave me a comment at the according site.

Thanks, will do! I wasn't sure it was a mistake at first :)