Boom Owl

A Difficult Question

1 minute ago, heychadwick said:

What about a toolbox list? 4-6 ships that can do a variety.  Not exactly jousters and no high Init ace.  I think this is a do-able list type. 

Like a 2.0 variant of Fair Ship Rebels?  Not sure we have enough data yet to really crunch the utility and passive ability synergy of the factions.  Lists like this get hard to rank because they often come with a number of triggers and range abilities.  They may be "easy" for an experienced player to use but a bit overwhelming and harder to use for a beginner than something like a 5x heavy swarm.

15 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

What about a toolbox list? 4-6 ships that can do a variety.  Not exactly jousters and no high Init ace.  I think this is a do-able list type. 

Yea theres all kinds of that and will probably be a more common in 2.0. Difficult to define though as its a mix of things. 

Id say for the most part that kinda stuff fits under one of the categories depending on what it is. Could be a no-formation jouster or formation jouster archetype or ace mini swarm. Typically its either some low init stuff thats gonna joust as four ships in formation building a power rangers robot big base, 4-6 ships all low to mid ps moving out of formation to “joust” usually splitting into pairs for a hammer and anvil, or basically an ace mini swarm if theres an i5+ or i4 ace (see ryad) in the list. I guess you could mix in some turrets but at that point its not really even worth defining as its own category since its all of them.

Its technically possible for Imperials to fit 3 “aces” and a 4th ship now. And rebels have many many more ways of fitting 4 ships into a list now that are not just fair ship rebel boredom. The archetypes I listed are loose on purpose but tool box would be a bit to broad.

Edited by Boom Owl

15 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Not as hard to play as you think.

Yeah, I've played Brath several times in 2.0.  I still haven't in my brain associated defenders with "Aces" and 2 of of them being a "Double ace" list.  They weren't really played as "Aces" in 1.0.  Rather very efficient jousters.  There's definitely some reprogramming as to the purpose of a defender and their role in 2.0.  And it will be interesting to see how they fair vs the field for the number of lists with a decent counter to them.

7 minutes ago, piznit said:

What constitutes a Bomb Swarm?  Like Captain Nym and 4 Jakka Quadrunners with seismics?

Yep. Think 4 punishers with trajectory sim protons. Basically more than 2 things with bombs. Swarms in quotes since its not 8 ships. Though you can give 5 strikers some stuff :)

Edited by Boom Owl

I'd put the Control Swarm right at the top of the list. Quadjumpers ad Ion Scyks/Y-Wings/HWKs are going to be a real pain to play with, but ultimately very rewarding in the nerfed fat turret meta.

7 hours ago, Astech said:

I'd put the Control Swarm right at the top of the list. Quadjumpers ad Ion Scyks/Y-Wings/HWKs are going to be a real pain to play with, but ultimately very rewarding in the nerfed fat turret meta.

Should that be a new category - ConTroll swarm?  7 quadjumpers will be terrifying to fly against with small base ships.  It's a ton of health, a lot of red dice that pack a punch after your agility is reduced and who knows where your ship ends up before you activate.  Move wisely! 

Edited by viedit

23 minutes ago, viedit said:

Should that be a new category - ConTroll swarm?  7 quadjumpers will be terrifying to fly against with small base ships.  It's a ton of health, a lot of red dice that pack a punch after your agility is reduced and who knows where your ship ends up before you activate.  Move wisely! 

Id probably consider that a no formation swarm for now.