Sign in to follow this  
TBot

Blocking is back baby!

4 hours ago, piznit said:

Not gonna lie that squad sound like it needs a Moldy Crow Jan Ors with Informant Crew.  Helps to see where someone is moving, and adds a die to Wedge or Arvel when you land a sweet shot :)

Sold! Thats the one!

8 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Oh god, ******* Dengaroo

Remember that ****? That's the poster child for how much blocking used to matter 

Do you remember nerfs that happened about 2 years ago? Yeah, those that killed this archetype?
I bet during those two years no one used blocking ever.

Edited by Embir82

8 hours ago, Biophysical said:

Expertise/K4 Dengar existed for a very long time, and was mostly immune to blocks before he was nerfed (then countered hard by R3A2 Fenn).  I bet he was even used in cutthroat Polish meta for a while.

Of course he existed, for a brief period of time - but one or two archetypes never made blocking obsolete. It was still important part of any game even during those times - not only to prevent dice modfiers but also to secure arcs or prevent arcs from enemy.
Saying that blocking in X-Wing 1.0 didn't matter in later waves is just wrong.

20 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

Saying that blocking in X-Wing 1.0 didn't matter in later waves is just wrong.

Expertise was still more than fairly used. And is the perfect example of an anti-block upgrade.

34 minutes ago, Giledhil said:

Expertise was still more than fairly used. And is the perfect example of an anti-block upgrade.

So what? My point still stands - even with upgrades that made blocking weaker it was still very commonly used strategy in X-Wing. Blocking is not only about preventing modifiers but also about denying arcs or denying repositioning actions. Saying blocking being dead in 1.0 is completely wrong.

1 hour ago, Embir82 said:

So what? My point still stands - even with upgrades that made blocking weaker it was still very commonly used strategy in X-Wing. Blocking is not only about preventing modifiers but also about denying arcs or denying repositioning actions. Saying blocking being dead in 1.0 is completely wrong.

I think we misundestood each other on that one.
I never saif blocking was dead, but I'm ******* glad its more potent again.

I didn't know blocking left.  

Oh...in my first game of 2.0, I sent my Tie interceptor to Boost and block an enemy Tie Punisher.  I could've done a red Focus, but why?  I was going to block Red Line.  Tie Punishers have a 0 stop now?   @^@#$ !!!   I ended up at R1 in front of him.  I bricked my green dice and lost 2 hull to main guns of a Tie Punisher!  I did one damage in return.  

4 hours ago, Embir82 said:

I still saw a bunch of Expertise Rey or Rey crew this past SC season. Blocking wasn't dead in 1.0, but it had lost its effectiveness. 2.0's lack of action economy and passive mods will return blocking to its former glory. 

2 hours ago, NilsTillander said:

What about the good old Z-95? You can even have a semi logical fluffy list with Kath Scarlett and here Bynaire pirates (blocked (range 0 to a friendly) ships get 1 extra red die from Kath)!

This is going to be my first Scum list to try (tonight, I hope). 3 Z-95's and an Ion Scyk.