Sign in to follow this  
xero989

Obstruction question.

So I know that when you draw line of sight your attack is obstructed  if it passes through any visible portion of an obstacle.  

I was at a tournament this weekend and in a game there was a rules call about this that I questioned I was not the TO so I did not complain but I wanted to see if this was the right call.

The call was that a shot was obstructed because line of sight was traced though a shield dial and underneath that shild dial was an obstacle and because shield dials don't count as part of the ship the attack is obstructed.

Like I said before I am just curious as to if this was the right or wrong call and why?

pg 8 of the rrg:

• If line of sight is drawn over an obstacle, the attack is obstructed even if the bases of the attacker and defender are touching.

so for any attack as long as the LOS cuts an obstacle, under or over, the attack is still obstructed :)

so your call is right, but because the LOS is considered to have cut the obstacle regardless. Applies to squadrons touching each other in an asteroid too

Edited by Muelmuel

On 8/22/2018 at 3:17 AM, Muelmuel said:

pg 8 of the rrg:

• If line of sight is drawn over an obstacle, the attack is obstructed even if the bases of the attacker and defender are touching.

so for any attack as long as the LOS cuts an obstacle, under or over, the attack is still obstructed :)

so your call is right, but because the LOS is considered to have cut the obstacle regardless. Applies to squadrons touching each other in an asteroid too

That's not quite correct - the FAQ has updated this to be that if you cannot see the obstacle it doesn't count as obstructed (unless the bases are touching) however it doesn't help us regarding the shield dials as we have too conflicting situations:

Shields dials do not obstruct and if you cannot see the obstacle then it is not obstructed. 

If you interpret the shield dial to be invisible then the attack would be obstructed since you'd be able to see the obstacle beneath it but since the shield is not literally invisible and you cannot literally see the obstacle then the attack is not obstructed.

I'd suggest this is such an edge case you'll need to get the TO to make a ruling at the time.

OBSTRUCTED
Q: While a ship is overlapping an obstacle and the attacking hull zone’s traced line of sight does not pass over a visible portion of that obstacle, or another obstacle or ship, is that attack obstructed?
A: No

Edited by Kendraam

You must differ between base and hullzone. When bases are touching above an obstacle, the plastic parts are not tanken into account. This, because there is a millimeter of space between the hullzone cardboards, means, that the LoS is crossing the obstacle.

But if a ship is overlapping an obstacle in a way, that the LoS does not cross a visible part of the obstacle before reaching the hullzone's cardboard, the attack is not obstructed.

That also means, if a ship's cardboard completely covers a gas cloud, you can take an obstructed shot at a target on the other side, although the gas cloud would usually prohibit such an attack.