Sign in to follow this  
Ravenhull

Playing with K-Wings in 2E

I’ve always been rather fond of K-Wings, and had a decent list that used 2 Warden (1 with Sabine) and Lt Blount.  The idea then was that they all focused, then Blount fired an XX-21 (and if the opponent forgot that Blount hits even if he misses and uses his defense tokens, all the better), letting the K’s fire their ordinance with focuses available.

Well, can’t do that no more, but there are other options now.  Here is a list I’m toying with:

Sabine’s Ks

(40) Warden Squadron Pilot
(5) Bomblet Generator
(5) Cluster Missiles
(6) Concussion Missiles
(6) Ion Torpedoes
(3) Advanced SLAM
(2) Skilled Bombardier
(3) Freelance Slicer
Points 70

(40) Warden Squadron Pilot
(5) Bomblet Generator
(5) Cluster Missiles
(6) Concussion Missiles
(6) Ion Torpedoes
(3) Advanced SLAM
(2) Skilled Bombardier
(3) Freelance Slicer
Points 70

(42) Ezra Bridger
(3) Sabine Wren
(3) Heightened Perception
(6) R2 Astromech
(6) Shield Upgrade
Points 60

Total points: 200

Sabine might not be as good as she once was, but still has her uses.  My original idea with Ezra was to give him Sense, but then I remembered that they system phase was done from low init to high, so I couldn’t sense an opponent to see if it was worth dropping bombs because I would have to drop them before I could use him.  But hane’t taken him out, as of yet.

Early on, I had them carrying Proton Bombs and Proximity Mines, but since Sabine works only on bombs, went with the bomblet for now.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Looking it over, I could possibly drop some of the missiles/torps, which could allow me to upgrade the K’s to the unique pilots, which would give them inits equal to or better than Ezra.  Then the Sense trick might work.

some things to note

1.) ********** FFG give these guys sensors already

1.) K-wings are one of few ships that can take Barrage Rockets....so take them

2.) Turret seems incredibly wimpy, Hotshot gunner therefore seems perfect

and that's about it

sadly, ASLAM is still action bar limited or else GONK would've been hilarious

As is, can't see anyone running more than just a named pilot for Hotshot

Edited by ficklegreendice

Okay, here’s a new version that has Miranda and Esege so that I can take advantage of Sense.  Due to the points cost, I had to strip the astromech and Shield Upgrade off of the shuttle, so I was left wondering if I needed to try and keep the Coordinate, or go with the Attack Shuttle, with it’s better maneuverability, and giving it 360 with the turret.  Also took into consideration some of what @ficklegreendicesuggested.

Sabine’s Ks II

(50) Miranda Doni
(5) Bomblet Generator
(6) Barrage Rockets
(6) Ion Torpedoes
(7) Hotshot Gunner
Points 74

(48) Esege Tuketu
(5) Bomblet Generator
(6) Barrage Rockets
(7) Hotshot Gunner
(6) Ion Torpedoes
Points 72

(41) Ezra Bridger
(6) Sense
(3) Sabine Wren
(4) Dorsal Turret
Points 54

Total points: 200

10 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

K-wings are one of few ships that can take Barrage Rockets....so take them

...Barrage rockets not in the Rebel conversion kit. hahaha.

(But us Imperial players also get some Expert Handling we have no use for)

13 minutes ago, Rossetti1828 said:

...Barrage rockets not in the Rebel conversion kit. hahaha.

(But us Imperial players also get some Expert Handling we have no use for)

Good thing I have all 3 kits ordered. ;)

Barrage rockets seem great on K-Wings, since they can leave their turret arcs set to the side for most the game. If I was going to be running Miranda in 2E I'd be starting with something like this:

Miranda Doni — K-Wing 48
Barrage Rockets 6
Han Solo (Rebel) 12
Bomblet Generator 5
Advanced SLAM 3

Ship Total: 74

I think Han gunner is the only way to get an extra attack that also lets you fire a missile/torp, so Miranda can use her ability on her Han attack and fire missiles as normal. I guess I'd probably stick Sabine or Jyn on there too since they're so cheap.

3 hours ago, apoapsis said:

Barrage rockets seem great on K-Wings, since they can leave their turret arcs set to the side for most the game. If I was going to be running Miranda in 2E I'd be starting with something like this:

Miranda Doni — K-Wing 48
Barrage Rockets 6
Han Solo (Rebel) 12
Bomblet Generator 5
Advanced SLAM 3

Ship Total: 74

I think Han gunner is the only way to get an extra attack that also lets you fire a missile/torp, so Miranda can use her ability on her Han attack and fire missiles as normal. I guess I'd probably stick Sabine or Jyn on there too since they're so cheap.

Sounds great in theory, but it requires you to either have enemies in both your forward and side arc, or to have your turret pointed forward anyway.

The former is hard to pull off, and the latter seems to negate the idea of rockets + side arc turrets = good coverage. 

It's also not cheap for what amounts to a 3 dice action dependent forward firing ship that gives you nothing at range 1, even with the situational regen. For the same cost as just barrage and Han, you can run Wedge with R2-D2 and Adv Protons and get access to a much better dial, higher Init, harder hitting front attacks and regen that doesn't require you to have already lost 3HP before you can use it. 

Not saying it's a bad build necessarily - SLAM is nothing to sneer at, Miranda's ability doesn't require you to take a disarm like R2 and it is technically unlimited. Pointing the turret forward, even just to trigger Han and regen might end up being a really lucky (one dice) roll and force them to spend a token, helping out the rocket shot. And having Han there could be great if the first engagement you have, you use Miranda's ability the other way to give you a three dice primary attack and a 3 dice rocket followup (may as well, as you can only start regen-ing when Miranda's lost all her shields anyway).

Just seems like a lot of little moving parts need to go right for it to be worth it over other ships.