Sign in to follow this  
VAYASAN

Rebel Commandos

I preordered one thru my FLGS and picked up a second early at GenCon.

If you are planning on running the Proton Charge Saboteur, I really think a second set is needed.  I've tried them a few times with just one unit and I found them lacking.  I think a second unit so you can detonate on multiple fronts if one unit goes down will make them usable.

Edited by FSD

On 8/20/2018 at 6:13 PM, FSD said:

I preordered one thru my FLGS and picked up a second early at GenCon.

If you are planning on running the Proton Charge Saboteur, I really think a second set is needed.  I've tried them a few times with just one unit and I found them lacking.  I think a second unit so you can detonate on multiple fronts if one unit goes down will make them usable.

I see on the card that it costs an action to place a proton charge, but how does the charge detonate? The wording on the card seems ambiguous to me. 

3 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

I see on the card that it costs an action to place a proton charge, but how does the charge detonate? The wording on the card seems ambiguous to me. 

I believe Detonate can be triggered after any action by either player. I need to reread the entry for Detonate X....

8 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

The RRG has a new listing all about Detonate.

5 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

You can choose to detonate after any action is performed by any unit (friend or foe). Emphasis on "action" so a compulsory move, for example, can't trigger it. And each of your commandos can choose to detonate for each trigger opportunity.

So if at some point in the game you have 3 charges planted and 2 of your commandos are still alive, you can detonate up to 2 of those charges after an enemy does a move action.

On 8/20/2018 at 2:50 PM, VAYASAN said:

Hi all, any thoughts on how many commando units I should be buying, for the price, 1 enough or 2 you reckon?

If you're crazy like me, you should get 3 of them ?

I think most people can get away with 2 without having to proxy anything. If you don't care about proxying (thinking specifically of the Strike Team unit card), you definitely don't need any more than 2 boxes. In terms of gameplay, I don't think these are units I'll be running singles of. I'll probably have 2-3 in each list if I'm going to run them. Starting out with 3 for now since it's always fun to spam the new stuff to see what it can do, haha.

8 minutes ago, freebird285 said:

It doesn’t look like there is an option for an additional trooper in a commando squad, so is a squad maximum 5 people and not 6 like the other troops? Am I just reading this wrong?

you can play either a 2 man or 5 man squad if you dont mind one being a sniper and one being a charge detonator then the one box is theoretically up to 2 units and includes 1 4 man and 1 single man unit card that allows a heavy upgrade. 

On 8/24/2018 at 5:38 PM, Pooleman said:

Then don't look on the card. Look in the Rules Reference Guide.

On 8/25/2018 at 8:32 AM, syrath said:

Isn't the limit 2 for spec ops units unless you play large games , since you can only have one heavy slot per unit, in an 800pt battle you can only field 2

The limit for Special Forces in an 800 point (standard) game is 3.

6 hours ago, freebird285 said:

It doesn’t look like there is an option for an additional trooper in a commando squad, so is a squad maximum 5 people and not 6 like the other troops? Am I just reading this wrong?

You are correct, they have no Personnel upgrade slot and no "additional trooper" upgrade card like the Corps units do.

3 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

The limit for Special Forces in an 800 point (standard) game is 3.

You are correct, they have no Personnel upgrade slot and no "additional trooper" upgrade card like the Corps units do.

see my next post 

On 8/25/2018 at 1:49 PM, syrath said:

My bad I thought it was a limit of 2 and not 3

I played my commandos for the first time yesterday and am already wanting another set. The ability to run two, if not three, saboteurs at the same time is just too good to pass up. And that sniper is pretty dope too. I put a sniper strike team on a roof with good LOS and just went to town. 

I got 3. Played a game with 3 of the 2 man sniper teams. And they doled out a ton of wounds. 1-2 wounds per turn per team. Not to mention suppression. It was really satisfying whittling down enemy squads before the rest of my army swooped in to finish everyone off.

I played a single strike team.  Used the scout 2 to get into position, used grappling hooks to climb on my first actual turn. set up so the sniper was on top of rocks and the 2nd man was in hard cover, so that even though the sniper was in the open 50% of the squad had cover.

on my first attack I took out 2 stormtroopers and the the empire was  adjusting and slowing down their progress trying to hide.  Even though I literally missed every shot after, it was the threat that helped.

i won the intercept transmission 8-3, I controlled 2/3 of the terminals in the scoring rounds.

i am really looking forward to running 2, 2 man teams next time.

Edited by azavander