Sign in to follow this  
DXCrazytrain

Tie Punisher 2.0 Discussion Thread

19 minutes ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

Isn't this the Punisher thread?  More Punisher thoughts please!  I need more ideas!  :D

Alright, here you go :)

Imperial Artillery 2.0

(78) Onyx Squadron Ace
(4) Juke
Points 82

(42) "Deathrain"
(6) Barrage Rockets
(3) Trajectory Simulator
(3) Seismic Charges
(6) Proximity Mines
Points 60

(41) Major Vynder
(0) Xg-1 Assault Configuration
(5) Ion Cannon
(7) Proton Rockets
(3) Advanced SLAM
(2) Predator
Points 58

Total points: 200

Only one Punisher, but the Ion / Prockets Advanced Slam Vynder is comparatively cool, I’d say.

This list has all kinds of nasty aggro stuff sticking out of every wing and panel.
And then there’s the Defender to wrap up the late game.
Should be fun ;)

22 minutes ago, baranidlo said:

Imperial Artillery 2.0

(78) Onyx Squadron Ace
(4) Juke
Points 82

(42) "Deathrain"
(6) Barrage Rockets
(3) Trajectory Simulator
(3) Seismic Charges
(6) Proximity Mines
Points 60

(41) Major Vynder
(5) Ion Cannon
(7) Proton Rockets
(3) Advanced SLAM
(2) Predator
Points 58

Only one Punisher, but the Ion / Prockets Advanced Slam Vynder is comparatively cool, I’d say.

This list has all kinds of nasty aggro stuff sticking out of every wing and panel.
Should be fun ;)

NICE! My favorite part of this list is that I don't know what to shoot at first. All of them are dangerous.

Who's gotten a Punisher on the table? What tactics worked or didn't work? Any matchups it was strong or weak against? I'm really curious if advanced sensors should simply be stapled to it, especially Redline.

Edited by DXCrazytrain

Both Deathrain and Redline are great, but Deathrain keeps ending up as my first pick for the trajectory bombs.  If I wanted a punisher-heavy list with both, this looks like it could be a lot of fun:

"Deathrain" (42)
Trajectory Simulator (3)
Barrage Rockets (6)
Proton Bombs (5)
Seismic Charges (3)
Ablative Plating (4)

"Redline" (44)
Advanced Sensors (8)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
Cluster Missiles (5)
BT-1 (2)

Major Vermeil (49)
Composure (2)
Darth Vader (14)
0-0-0 (3)

Total: 199

All three have pre-movement repositioning at decent initiative, and all three hit very hard in different ways.

Edited by kerbarian

Deathrain is a ****** monster

Don't ever advanced sensor him because it's reducdant with his ability. Trajectory Sims are also just so crucial against swarms and formations and such 

He seems to work best flanking for jonus and the bomb crew. Move him up a bit further than his buddies so you can slow-roll the bombers without hitting your own protons. Use combination of ability + boost/roll to stay alive and generally bamboozle the enemy

Obstacles are your friends (ability + ablative), use them well 

So Redline is maybe the only ship in 2.0. Which can advanced sensor two "actions" (since acquiring the target lock by his pilot ability is no action)and gets a fully modded shot after bumping? Am I right? I think this is really powerful. He can even shoot a fully modded Proton torpedo. He can even do this before doing a full stop.

Phantoms, esp whisper, can also cheat advanced sensors

Course they get evades instead of TLs 

Could also count Uwings with perceptive copilot (with potential jyn) 

But yeah, Redline ain't no slouch. Only weakness is that 1 agi anything BURNS if you can't bob and weave around the majority of your opponent's squad

Of course, boost/roll makes him quite capable of this, just not up there with Deathrain doing both in a round 

Redline's about the only self-sufficient pilot I'd put proton torps or cluster missiles on, perhaps even at the same time (get two mods, after all)

Edited by ficklegreendice

Played my Redline/Deathrain/Whisper squad yesterday and tore up a TIE Swarm but lost to two other squads.

G1: Howl/Iden/4x Crack Blacks.  He refuses to joust and sets up a loose cloud but the boosting Punishers are so fast I'm right on him.  Bombs quickly damage all his ships but my red dice couldn't finish a half-eaten sandwich and I lose both Punishers to leave Whisper 1 v 4.  They're all nearly dead though and Whisper gobbles them up like Pac Man.  Opponent agrees with even average red dice luck I would win this very easily.

G2: Boba/Fenn/Zealout Fang.  He plays rope-a-dope and just flies very defensively (and very well) to wait while I punch myself out of ammo.  It takes a long time as I reload a bit but he gets there.  I have half points on all his ships but nothing died.

G3: Han/Palob/Slaver.  It's my own list I'm up against, it's very good and it's got far too much health to be worried about the puny red dice and bombs I'm throwing out.  Han distracts Whisper while the Slaver and Palob make mincemeat of the Punishers.  GG.

I still like the list as it had a lot of new elements I can get better with - medium bases, Deathrain flying style, Seismic charges, new Phantom.  I might cut Barrage Rockets for Proton Rockets for more burst damage and just try to reload them.  It was consistent all round as all three games that I struggled for decisive killshots.

Redline - Proton Torps, Proton Bombs, Traj Sim

Deathrain - Proton Rockets, Seismic Charges, Proton Bombs, Traj Sim, Ablative Plating

Whisper - LW, Stealth, Seventh Sister

Edited by SOTL

Im gona try Redline with Proton bombs, Adv Proton trops, Trajsim, BT-12 ( Yes vader is in my squad) 

Paird with Whisper and Vermil 

Major Vermeil — TIE Reaper 49
Composure 2
Darth Vader 14
Director Krennic 5
Ship Total: 70

"Whisper" Hates Dee Yun — TIE Phantom 52
Juke 4
Advanced Sensors 8
0-0-0 3
Ship Total: 67

"Redline" — TIE Punisher 44
Trajectory Simulator 3
Proton Torpedoes 9
BT-1 2
Proton Bombs 5
Ship Total: 63

I've been toying with a bare bones Redline: Adv Sensors, Concussion Missiles: 58pts.  I've been adding this bargain In5 ace to a few lists, one notable one is Jonus, Fel and Phennir.  It's a solid four ship list combining jousters and arc dodgers so it maintains a great deal of tactical flexibility.  The beauty of Redline is he can boost and lock and then 4k, so he's functioning akin to a Defender, which is a bit ridiculous considering the ship's size.  It really has a great deal of maneuverability compared to a bomber.  This is one of my favorite aspects of the Punisher - it's not just a bigger TIE Bomber, but a whole different animal that just happens to use some of the same tools as the bomber. 

My attack plan is a luring joust approach with Redline and Jonus while the Squints race to flank.  Depending on my opponent's first moves, the Big dogs will roll into the enemy (if the enemy chases the Squints) or plan a misdirection maneuver where Jonus veers off and Redline does his boost/lock/k to end behind the enemy.  First version, the Squints either duck behind rocks or push hard to move past the enemy while the big dogs engage.  Second version, they flank and plan for two to three turns of fire.

I have a few versions of this list - can't wait to try 'em out!

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

I don't know if anyone actually owns four, but consider:

Thick Thighs Save Lives: 4x Cutlass Squadron Pilot (TrajSim, Proton Bombs, Barrage Rockets) 50 each.

That's just too silly to be good, right?

I own 4 medium bases, that's enough to proxy it....

On 8/23/2018 at 3:18 AM, DXCrazytrain said:

Who's gotten a Punisher on the table? What tactics worked or didn't work? Any matchups it was strong or weak against? I'm really curious if advanced sensors should simply be stapled to it, especially Redline.

I think so. Redline with Advanced Sensors is very strong. Very fast and boost lock 4K is something your opponent can’t plan for at all. 

Redline is a pretty amazing flanker. I’ve run with coordinate and Palp as well. Redline dodges arcs and does heavy lifting. 

On 8/22/2018 at 6:28 AM, baranidlo said:

Imperial Artillery 2.0

(78) Onyx Squadron Ace
(4) Juke
Points 82

(42) "Deathrain"
(6) Barrage Rockets
(3) Trajectory Simulator
(3) Seismic Charges
(6) Proximity Mines
Points 60

(41) Major Vynder
(5) Ion Cannon
(7) Proton Rockets
(3) Advanced SLAM
(2) Predator
Points 58

Should be fun ;)

This list is doing a lot of work, each ship pulling quite a bit of weight.

But you could drop the Prox and Seismics for Proton Bombs, maybe shuffle some other stuff to fit Rexler Brath. He's a monster and really gets a lot of mileage out of Juke.

11 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Even I don't know anyone who owns 4.  Two is the most I have seen (and own).

Hello it's me financial irresponsibility guy!

I did take 3 of my Punishers to my last 1.0 tournament and got obliterated 0-4. 3 Punishers in 2.0 actually looks like a list with some merit...

My fourth Punisher is painted as first order ship, I'm wondering wether I should strip that and maybe repaint all 4 in ANH grey.

20 hours ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

I've been toying with a bare bones Redline: Adv Sensors, Concussion Missiles: 58pts.  I've been adding this bargain In5 ace to a few lists, one notable one is Jonus, Fel and Phennir. 

Why Jonus and not Rhymer in this list?

Redline has re-rolls for days thanks to his easy target lock economy, and Rhymer is the same Initiative while also being cheaper.

Or is the idea just so that Jonus uses his re-rolls on himself to get good action economy out of Barrage Rockets? I guess Jonus also lets Redline hang on to his locks and then k-turn or 3 hard. Just curious, feels to me like Redline is basically the last ordnance carrier who'd need Jonus support. 

32 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Why Jonus and not Rhymer in this list?

Redline has re-rolls for days thanks to his easy target lock economy, and Rhymer is the same Initiative while also being cheaper.

Or is the idea just so that Jonus uses his re-rolls on himself to get good action economy out of Barrage Rockets? I guess Jonus also lets Redline hang on to his locks and then k-turn or 3 hard. Just curious, feels to me like Redline is basically the last ordnance carrier who'd need Jonus support. 

Two reasons, one you already specified - Jonus uses his rerolls on himself.  Well worth the 2 points over Rhymer.  Barrage needs focus to fire so the rerolls are welcome.  Redline won't be that close to Jonus - he needs room to move.  The second reason is that I feel Jonus will be more likely to draw fire than Rhymer. I want him to get shot at range so that Redline and the Squints can close distance and become truly dangerous.  Redline will extend and re-engage periodically to reload late in the game, but I'd be surprised if he lasts to game end as well.

21 hours ago, Praetorate of the Empire said:

This list is doing a lot of work, each ship pulling quite a bit of weight.

But you could drop the Prox and Seismics for Proton Bombs, maybe shuffle some other stuff to fit Rexler Brath. He's a monster and really gets a lot of mileage out of Juke.

Yeah, I agree with the suggestions.

In my current version I have upgraded Seismics for Protons, and changed Vynder's loadout to include Proton Torpedoes and OS-1 title instead of XG-1/Prockets/Ion cannon, and replaced Predator with Fire Controls Systems (which have a bit of synergy with OS-1).

3 hours ago, baranidlo said:

Yeah, I agree with the suggestions.

In my current version I have upgraded Seismics for Protons, and changed Vynder's loadout to include Proton Torpedoes and OS-1 title instead of XG-1/Prockets/Ion cannon, and replaced Predator with Fire Controls Systems (which have a bit of synergy with OS-1).

I know this is the Punisher Thread but what do we like about the Gunboats. It seems to me the action economy they need to be Missile platforms got nerfed fo oblivion.