minigames80

a message for those who wonder about the success of SWL

Okay I know people wonder about the success of this game and I want to say that this and even runewars seem like they will be fine to me.... I know the game  isn't on the top 5 list and some say the stores they go to don't sell a lot but it is really is a matter of the game community in the area! some places have more of a game friendly base than others. I live in Daytona Beach and not much gaming here but in Orlando it is crazy big there. I personally (even though im not a true authority) think that SWL will be around for a long time it has a good fanbase and even though it is not top 5 it looks to me like that shouldn't matter in the long run FFG sticks with their licenses well and it just needs some tweaking here and there! thanks for reading!

Edited by minigames80

10 hours ago, minigames80 said:

except the wizards of the coast star wars game it had a good start but they gave it up

But this is FFG not Wizard of the Coast, so I'm sure they will not give up on it.

Edited by Iceeagle85

13 hours ago, minigames80 said:

except the wizards of the coast star wars game it had a good start but they gave it up

It is my understanding that the entire reason Wizards of the Coast made a Star Wars miniature game was as a tie in to the RPG. I have also heard rumors that the only reason rules existed for a stand alone game, instead of just selling the miniatures as a RPG accessory, was at the insistence of the license holder.  They also produced a line of starships, with very simplistic and meh rules. It is comparable to Legion the same way that checkers is comparable to Chess. 

Besides, Legion isn't even a completed game yet (at least that's what one of FFG's recent interviews led me to believe) so comparisons to any completed games are a little premature. 

32 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

It is my understanding that the entire reason Wizards of the Coast made a Star Wars miniature game was as a tie in to the RPG. I have also heard rumors that the only reason rules existed for a stand alone game, instead of just selling the miniatures as a RPG accessory, was at the insistence of the license holder.  They also produced a line of starships, with very simplistic and meh rules. It is comparable to Legion the same way that checkers is comparable to Chess. 

Besides, Legion isn't even a completed game yet (at least that's what one of FFG's recent interviews led me to believe) so comparisons to any completed games are a little premature. 

Yeah, the WotC rules were a joke. I read through them once, shook my head in puzzlement at why I would want to play such a thing, and then proceeded to stock up on enough generic trooper minis to play games using the old WEG D6 rules—which were great fun, and versatile and vague enough to cover pretty much anything WotC produced in miniature form. The minis were never great quality, but I was grateful for the variety, and most didn’t look half bad when repainted.

3 hours ago, lukecook said:

What are these ranking systems people are using? I only play Legion right now so it would be my top 1-5?

ICv2 has the non-collectible miniatures top 5 sellers for Spring 2018 "based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers." 

Warhammer 40K

Games Workshop

D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Minis

WizKids

Warmachine

Privateer Press

Star Wars Legion

ANA/Fantasy Flight Games

Age of Sigmar

Games Workshop

19 hours ago, minigames80 said:

...but in Orlando it is crazy big there. ...

What are you talkin' about? I live in Orlando and have tried many different avenues to find other players and have been unsuccessful each time. I've seen SWL for sale at discouns in stores locally because it isn't sellin' here in Orlando. My FLGS, Cool Stuff, still hasn't gotten the Priority Supplies in to sell because FFG wont sell them any.
The FB forums for Orlando has a group that posts to play on Sundays at a FLGS, and every Sunday morning the thread becomes "well I'm not gonna make it" "I wont be there" "got stuff to do, can't make it".
If you know of some place where people are actually playing in Orlando PLEASE don't keep the info to yourself, share it!

Edited by 1voice2many

49 minutes ago, 1voice2many said:

What are you talkin' about? I live in Orlando and have tried many different avenues to find other players and have been unsuccessful each time. I've seen SWL for sale at discouns in stores because it isn't sellin' in Orlando. My FLGS, Cool Stuff, still hasn't gotten the Priority Supplies in to sell because FFG wont sell them any.
The FB forums for Orlando has a group that posts to play on Sundays at a FLGS, and every Sunday morning the thread becomes "well I'm not gonna make it" "I wont be there" "got stuff to do, can't make it".
If you know of some place where people are playing in Orlando PLEASE don't keep the info to yourself, share it!

It seems the only person playing in Orlando is the youtuber crabbok. He has a facebook group so people can get together. Crabbok posts his BatReps quite often. Sci-Fi city does a Star Wars Sunday and Cool Stuff Waterford Lakes has held Legion events. Mini Duels has held events as well. They are not necessarily all Orlando but the Orlando area. Don't rely on a facebook group, call around. Those reasons you mentioned is why I have yet to play at a LGS.

I too have had to deal with CoolStuffInc not getting product. Couldn't get Fleet Troopers from them but it isn't FFG's fault. CS doesn't order directly from FFG they order from a secondary vendor (alot of LGS order from the same place) and that vendor has consistently under purchased lately. It also seems FFG might have under estimated the demand. It stinks when you have to wait months for reprints from overseas. I wish this stuff was made in the U.S.A. I would rather see "On the truck" instead of "On the boat".

Edited by C3POFETT

1 hour ago, 1voice2many said:

What are you talkin' about? I live in Orlando and have tried many different avenues to find other players and have been unsuccessful each time. I've seen SWL for sale at discouns in stores locally because it isn't sellin' here in Orlando. My FLGS, Cool Stuff, still hasn't gotten the Priority Supplies in to sell because FFG wont sell them any.
If you know of some place where people are actually playing in Orlando PLEASE don't keep the info to yourself, share it!

I meant gaming compared to Daytona in general all the groups near me are either in Orlando or elsewhere sorry for the confusion

37 minutes ago, C3POFETT said:

It seems the only person playing in Orlando is the youtuber crabbok. He has a facebook group so people can get together. Crabbok posts his BatReps quite often. Sci-Fi city does a Star Wars Sunday and Cool Stuff Waterford Lakes has held Legion events. Mini Duels has held events as well. They are not necessarily all Orlando but the Orlando area. Don't rely on a facebook group, call around. Those reasons you mentioned is why I have yet to play at a LGS.

I too have had to deal with CoolStuffInc not getting product. Couldn't get Fleet Troopers from them but it isn't FFG's fault. CS doesn't order directly from FFG they order from a secondary vendor (alot of LGS order from the same place) and that vendor has consistently under purchased lately. It also seems FFG might have under estimated the demand. It stinks when you have to wait months for reprints from overseas. I wish this stuff was made in the U.S.A. I would rather see "On the truck" instead of "On the boat".

Can't speak for SF City as that is the place where everyone bails out online Sunday mornings maybe there are still bunches and bunches showing up. CS WL, I've  heard, does not have great turn out for their events again maybe I've heard wrongly. MD has no players currently then again maybe the OWNER of the store was lying to me when I asked.

Earlier this year FFG stopped selling directly to stores and only sells to one distributor/vendor (why I said FFG wont sell them any). If that distributor/vendor doesn't have it or decides not to sell to your store you are SoL as there are no other options. That distributor is who CS orders from, they have to. They were told they would not receive any of the initial wave of the "Priority Supplies" yet somehow there were plenty enough for there to be lots for sale on Amazon. I've worked for game retailers and at a game distributor and have spoken to people at CS (my FLGS) so I'm not just making this up as to how I think it might be.

I'm sorry if I brought the tone of this thread down that was not my intention.

If you are in the Orlando area and do actually play and are lookin' for a new player to get beat by : ) feel free to PM me. Or please let me know if I'm wrong about SF City, CS WL, or MD as I want to play.

That seems odd to me. I keep hearing stories about shortages of product, yet the store I play at in Portland OR has only ever ran out of Fleet Troopers. Seems pretty well supplied all the time, so I don't get what the difference should be. 

8 hours ago, 1voice2many said:

My FLGS, Cool Stuff, still hasn't gotten the Priority Supplies in to sell because FFG wont sell them any.

They're sold out on the upcoming page. FFG doesn't have any to sell.

I frankly don't care if it "succeeds" or not, I mostly play OOP games as it is. These things have a lifespan. If you stick with this hobby for decades, you'll see them come and you'll see them go. The only thing I can easily think of that's still around from when I started is 40k. Though the rules and nature of the games have become unrecognizable since it was released.

People have a skewed perspective on what counts as "success". D20 lasted about six years, that's not a bad run for a game, in general.

All I can find for sale around here for Legion right now is core sets, and expansions consisting pretty much only of core set models. Hence my Hoth Imperial army has stalled out.

How long do new releases and official tournaments have to happen until a game can be said to have succeeded? 7 years? 10? It's gonna fold eventually. Nothing lasts forever. Legion isn't going to the be the next baseball or checkers.

Edited by TauntaunScout

I think in tabletop minis, people really want that game that will last virtually forever. Of course, with licensing as it is, we know Star wars won't last forever, but who knows a good 7 years would be pretty nice for this game.