Sign in to follow this  
gmcc

questions from someone interested...

Hello,

I heard good things about this game but since my experience with SW LCG im kinda "Afraid" of getting into LCGs.. so my questions are :

- is it worth it compared to arkham/eldritch board game?

- can it be played solo ?

- do i have to pay for all the expansions ? what does expansions bring ? 

- is it like a normal card game where u have to get repeated cards per expansion ?

sorry the noob questions just wondering about this since i like lovecraft but dont know much about LCGs

- is it worth it compared to arkham/eldritch board game?  Depends.  If you enjoy deckbuilding this game clearly has that and the others do not.   Frankly, I would rather play this game, but other people may enjoy the board game more.  I will say that the board games are much cheaper overall.

- can it be played solo ?  Yes

- do i have to pay for all the expansions ? what does expansions bring ? Sort of.  The core game comes with a single campaign in 3 games.  Most of us has played that a lot.  Then the big box expansions each add a campaign and 2 out of the 8 games in the campaign.  The remaining six are in individual mythos packs.  In addition to the campaigns, they all come with player cards, 10-14 of them.

- is it like a normal card game where u have to get repeated cards per expansion ?  Not really, You only need 2 copies of each card.  That means that in order to have a complete set of 2 two of each card, you need two core boxes and one of everything else.  You know which player cards will be in each expansion as it is not random.

5 minutes ago, Jobu said:

- is it worth it compared to arkham/eldritch board game?  Depends.  If you enjoy deckbuilding this game clearly has that and the others do not.   Frankly, I would rather play this game, but other people may enjoy the board game more.  I will say that the board games are much cheaper overall.

- can it be played solo ?  Yes

- do i have to pay for all the expansions ? what does expansions bring ? Sort of.  The core game comes with a single campaign in 3 games.  Most of us has played that a lot.  Then the big box expansions each add a campaign and 2 out of the 8 games in the campaign.  The remaining six are in individual mythos packs.  In addition to the campaigns, they all come with player cards, 10-14 of them.

- is it like a normal card game where u have to get repeated cards per expansion ?  Not really, You only need 2 copies of each card.  That means that in order to have a complete set of 2 two of each card, you need two core boxes and one of everything else.  You know which player cards will be in each expansion as it is not random.

hum so in terms of replaybility/fun u think this is a better option ( though more expensive ) ?

is it hard to play / master ? 2 core boxes and 1 of everything else, including packs and expansion boxes ? are they still printed or some are out ?

42 minutes ago, gmcc said:

Yes, definitely. It is typically played either one- or two-handed solo. Personally when I play solo I play one-handed ("true" solo), but I have heard that both work well. I consider one of the strengths of AH:LCG to be how well it works when played solo.

44 minutes ago, gmcc said:

Firstly, I would say that if you are interested in the game then just buy a single Core Set to start with to see if you like the game mechanics. The Core Set contains a complete game and is three linked scenarios. If you find the first scenario too easy or the other two scenarios too hard don't be dispirited - the first scenario is a bit of a tutorial and the other two scenarios are meant to demonstrate (a) that not achieving all the objectives is not a loss and (b) give you an example of a very hard scenario.

If you enjoy the mechanics of the game then I'd pick up a Deluxe Expansion and the associated Mythos Packs. Personally I'd recommend starting with The Dunwich Legacy. Whether or not you pick up a second Core Set for second copies of the player cards is entirely up to you and not a decision anyone else can make for you. All expansions contain two copies of each player card, so you don't need multiples of these.

I'd also recommend buying, at most, one cycle at a time. That way if you find after playing a campaign that you want a break then you haven't spent a load of money that you might want to spend elsewhere! As an LCG the packs are reprinted quite frequently. I love the game but have only played through the Core Set and The Dunwich Legacy. I own all of The Path to Carcosa, which I'm greatly looking forward to, but haven't had time to play it yet... so I haven't bought any of The Forgotten Age, knowing I can pick it up in the future if I want to.

1 hour ago, gmcc said:

- is it like a normal card game where u have to get repeated cards per expansion ?

I'm not sure what you mean by normal card game? Collectible card game? Each expansion contains cards which cannot be found anywhere else and you get two copies of each, which is the maximum you are allowed in a deck.

17 minutes ago, gmcc said:

is it hard to play / master ?

I would say it is one of the most complicated games I own, I think it depends strongly on what other games you're familiar with as to whether you would find it hard to play / master. If you do find the rules hard going then there are now quite a few tutorial videos which might help. If you have specific rules questions then you can ask on these or other forums to get answers.

21 minutes ago, gmcc said:

2 core boxes and 1 of everything else, including packs and expansion boxes ? are they still printed or some are out ?

See above.

Someone else can answer regarding comparisons with Arkham Horror/Eldritch Horror (I see Jobu already has!), I haven't played either of them myself.

14 hours ago, gmcc said:

Hello,

I heard good things about this game but since my experience with SW LCG im kinda "Afraid" of getting into LCGs.. so my questions are :

- is it worth it compared to arkham/eldritch board game?

sorry the noob questions just wondering about this since i like lovecraft but dont know much about LCGs

1.  It sets up faster than the boardgames for sure.  The lcg has varying difficulties, so in some difficulties it will be easier than the board games, but you can play on the challenging difficulties to remedy that.  It plays different than the board games though, and in fact will have you getting hints of RPG gameplay.  The LCG will take you on an adventure based off the Mythos where your actions will have consequences, for better or worse, as campaign continues.  Choices, successes, and failures will impact you as you continue, as well has being to "level up" your deck as you gain experience. 

2.  as everyone said, yes.  The game does seem to scale well based on the number of players most of the times.  There are only a few scenarios where this seems out of whack. 

3.  as answered already, each campaign cycle(deluxe box and 6 packs) is its own standalone story in which all you need is the core set.   While player cards from those cycles can be used no matter what, Encounter cards for one campaign are not used when when doing different campaign. 

As for the question of whether its hard to play/master, its not as difficult as Lord of the Rings LCG, where deck building truly matters.  On low difficulties, you can get away with even playing with 1 core decks(because you only have 1 copy of cards) and do well.  If you do plan to tackle the higher difficulties you will need to streamline your deck more, and hence more card selection.  There are also a few investigators that are very new player friendly, which I would say 3 of them are in the core set, that would be good first investigators to play.  I've taught this game to many people now who have had no experience with Co-op card games, and they picked it up really fast. 

My problem is if i will have fun or understand the game and know the order of events. And if its hard to build or play. Cause it seems interesting but linda confusing

I bought one core set on the weekend to try it with my wife. I myself am a semi-competitive L5R LCG player and have been playing card games since 1997, whilst my wife has only a little experience with the L5R LCG, which she enjoyed until we were wiped three times in a row ?

So back to topic: The game does seem very confusing at the beginning. There are quite a few tokens, steps, phases, all that might seem overwhelming in the beginning. However, if you like card games and cooperative games, this one will be very rewarding to my mind. The atmosphere of the story/cards is immense and something completely different compared to most of the other games. Of course, we got wiped in our first adventure. But even failure does not end an campaign... :) 

I am hooked and I want to get deeper into the game, but I need my wife to come along. I bought to have a (board) game to play with her, after all. 

Just buy the core set, and play a few matches. 

I also highly suggest watching the team covenant video from gen con 2016, it is a really good demo/tutorial and would recommend you watch at least one play/demo/tutorial video if you are worried about the complexity, I thought it would be complicated when I first was interested but after watching the Team Covenant video I was completely sold.  I have not regretted it either and I have been actively playing since the game launched in 2016