Sign in to follow this  
brettpkelly

Spectre Team Preview!

3 hours ago, a1bert said:

I see Spectre Cell more as compensation for poor trait synergy than just boosting underpowered figures.

If the individual figures were A-tier by themselves (in a vacuum), they would simply be snatched into a mercenary hunter list (or another suitable meta list), and that doesn't promote list variation in the meta...

I agree that the trait synergy is an issue, but the figures are definitely underpowered as well, especially Kanan who is neither hunter nor smuggler.

Edited by brettpkelly

1 hour ago, a1bert said:

I see Spectre Cell more as compensation for poor trait synergy than just boosting underpowered figures.

If the individual figures were A-tier by themselves (in a vacuum), they would simply be snatched into a mercenary hunter list (or another suitable meta list), and that doesn't promote list variation in the meta...

Say that to the all (already) merc lists running Sabine ?

1 hour ago, brettpkelly said:

I agree that the trait synergy is an issue, but I the figures are definitely underpowered as well, especially Kanan who is neither hunter nor smuggler.

i'd like to test him out actually, yet the only time i played rebels i sucked so hard that the game lasted somethig like 3 minutes...

1 hour ago, erlucius90 said:

The merc-players seem have such a hard time finding their own identity that they constantly have to co-opt rebel characters into their lists. How pathetic. :P

7 hours ago, erlucius90 said:

Hundred times better than Episodes 1,2,3,7,8 and the first season of CW

I actually haven't finished it yet...just got to the end of season 2 a couple of days ago and that was pretty epic. Just got Season 3 so looking forward to that!

1 hour ago, erlucius90 said:

Well to be fair at this point people will just experiment and find what brings the best consistent results. Hondo is stellar so there are just so so many options for mercenaries now. You could even temp in CT and have trait synergy with some Sentry Droids, for instance.

I'm not really sure that the Spectre Team will be so powerful. 

They've got SIX activations, which up until now has been real trouble for anything but a Vader list.  The SC upgrade card will certain make the figures more tanky, but will that be enough to overcome the advantage of going last in a round?  Or the ability to use weak 2pt figures as objective-runners or terminal-sitters?  I personally don't think so.

They've also got only six figures...if only we were talking about salary!!  But I don't think a squad has ever been competitive with just six figures.  That's a massive drawback.  

Plus, as people have said, there's a severe lack of trait synergy, which makes it extremely difficult to build a synergistic Command Deck.  Heroic Effort will help to some degree, but there's a reason that Heroic Effort was made in the first place: it's really risky to play a squad with so many uniques.

So is the SC card good?  There's no question that it is!  But I honestly don't expect to see the Ghost Crew dominating the top tables.  It's going to take some seriously solid tactics and skill to play this squad at the higher levels of competition.

3 hours ago, TheWelcomeMat88 said:

I actually haven't finished it yet...just got to the end of season 2 a couple of days ago and that was pretty epic. Just got Season 3 so looking forward to that!

ohhh, you're gonna have a real good time...enjoy it all

Well to be fair at this point people will just experiment and find what brings the best consistent results. Hondo is stellar so there are just so so many options for mercenaries now. You could even temp in CT and have trait synergy with some Sentry Droids, for instance.

Everyone's experimenting ofc, and i'm starting to see plenty of strain focused lists aswell, yet Sabine is always there with her Graffiti to grab VP out of nowhere ?

Edited by erlucius90

7 hours ago, DerBaer said:

@Thereisnotry: With Doubt and Ambush, I think those cheap supporters become WAY less viable. Therefore, itis more than possible for the avereage activation count to drop to around 6 ...

I hope so!  I'd love for that to be the case.

But even so, if I'm using LIA to send some elite Pigs into my opponent's backfield, do I really want to be using them to attack Officers?  At that point it's already the middle of Round 2, so the big nova-strike has already happened, which reduces the impact of my opponent's activation advantage.

At this point it's still all theory-crafting, so we'll have to wait and see how it actually plays out.  But I would certainly be happy if lower activation counts would become more viable again.  

On 8/21/2018 at 11:28 PM, TheWelcomeMat88 said:

Yeah to say that these figures are unviable outside of Spectre Cell feels like an insult to the designers and presumptuous (well maybe Kanan, but the other 3 new ones are fine). The designers did a great job balancing the cool and thematic factor of getting to run spectre team while also not overpowering the units. Idk how anyone can condemn them for "limiting" our listbuilding when they very much just gave us a whole new archetype to play with, and therefore competitive incentive to put these guys on the table together and not just the "cool" factor (for example, the fixes allow Luke Leia Han and Chewie which FFG mentioned and is awesome- but so so not competitive and therefore never seen at high level tournaments, and how much wouldn't we want to be able to actually run them together??).

I totally agree. I think the designers did a FABULOUS job bringing us some new toys. I for one am pumped to bring Sabine or Zeb into my lists without the rest of the Spectre Cell. For their points, they're well costed I think and seem like they'd have some fun shenanigans. 

I think that Sabine is the best new Rebel figure, hands down.  CT and Tress both look promising too...and that's a nice thing, to have more campaign characters be solid in skirmish, following the precedent set by Drokkata.  But I still think Sabine will be the best.  Zeb will be fun too, if/when you can get him in close enough to make his double-attacks.  

Ezra will have excellent mobility.  I'm not sure I want to spend 7pts on an objective runner, but he'll be able to do that if necessary.

6 minutes ago, thereisnotry said:

I think that Sabine is the best new Rebel figure, hands down.  CT and Tress both look promising too...and that's a nice thing, to have more campaign characters be solid in skirmish, following the precedent set by Drokkata.  But I still think Sabine will be the best.  Zeb will be fun too, if/when you can get him in close enough to make his double-attacks.  

Ezra will have excellent mobility.  I'm not sure I want to spend 7pts on an objective runner, but he'll be able to do that if necessary.

Man. I don't know how they did this. I already touted how awesome the meta is right now, and then they go and do this...make the potential even greater! Lots of fun new options and not too much power creep...so far as I can see. 

Edited by NeverBetTheFett