Sign in to follow this  
azato

"Converting" Some of Conan 2d20 Talents

I am attempting to put together a Conan game using Genesys. My REAL goal is to use Genesys for the upcoming UltraViolet Grasslands and figured that this was a good first step.  I have Conan 2d20 but, for various reason, and not a fan of the game as a whole. One think I think they did right, in theory at least, was to provide a number of talents for each skill. This keeps the game from being just about combat.

So I went through and typed in all the “talents” from Conan, as well as their description. Then I went the the talents compilation PDF and took every Talent from the core book as well as the Terrinoth setting and put them under the various category and see what I got.

Talents that Genesys has an abundance of:

General Combat

Melee Combat

Ranged Combat

Persuasion

Resistance (strain and wound stuff)

Areas that Geneys has SOME talents:

Ranger-y nature-y stuff

Healing

Commander

Athletics

Areas I think needs to have more Talents:

Athletics

Discipline and Cool (not a lot but a few, especially in dealing with supernatural)

Healing (a couple more)

Lore (maybe use for appraisals or for gaining advantages for dealing with certain creature/goups/environments)

Persuation - haggling and seduction Rolls.

Skullduggery

Survival

I am planning on SLOWLY posting some talents from the NEEDED category and would like feedback as I am probably going to be making some serious mistakes. If anybody wants to ADD to the talents that would be great.  If it makes more sense I can break this into different threads.

No, for a couple of reasons but mainly I want to get experience making them.  I was orignally concerned about the seemingly "splat" glut but reading your comment makes think  I should at least look them over rather than just assume.   

Thanks  for the reality check 2P51!

Edited by azato

10 hours ago, azato said:

No, for a couple of reasons but mainly I want to get experience making them.  I was orignally concerned about the seemingly "splat" glut but reading your comment makes think  I should at least look them over rather than just assume.   

Thanks  for the reality check 2P51!

Help to get some ideas at least

Ok... after diving in it is time for me to come to the surface. Here are some thoughts:

1.  I think the "problem" I had with the Genesys Talents Expansion was the way the talents were presented.  I ended up copy and pasting talents  into various categories and found that the existing talents met most of my needs. 

2. There are gaps; areas that I think could be filled in. Since I am not intending my game to be used by "everybody" , I determined that there is no need to flesh every conceivable talent. If a player wants to have something cool talent we can make it up at that time. 

3. While I do love the character creation done in Conan 2d20 and, with work, that Genesys character generation could be squished into that structure , it really isn't worth it.  Going back to my Hero System roots,  I am throwing out archetypes. If players can pick their own talents, why not let them freely pick their own professional skills as well? What they pick will, in a sense,  determine their Archetype. 

4. After sorting talents into categories, everything is pretty straightforward...easy peasy. 

Some things I want to addres:

* How to handle privation.

* How to handle fear (I know it is in the book, I just need to read through it). 

* Look at the Conan magic system and find the way to create that kinds of feel in Genesys.

Then I need to actually run a game.  

On 8/29/2018 at 4:23 AM, azato said:

I ended up copy and pasting talents  into various categories and found that the existing talents met most of my needs. 

can you provide the category association as a list then maybe i can port this over to the Talents Expansion ?

On 8/28/2018 at 7:23 PM, azato said:

2. There are gaps; areas that I think could be filled in. Since I am not intending my game to be used by "everybody" , I determined that there is no need to flesh every conceivable talent. If a player wants to have something cool talent we can make it up at that time. 

This was my approach to doing fantasy. I did use archetypes but I sent out a huge list of ideas and told people to pick, or give me an idea/description. I wasn't publishing an RPG, just running my table.

I've added things as we advanced acquired through play.

I'm changing it up a bit for my upcoming Star Trek conversion, but I'm sticking with them telling me what they are, rather than making every option conceivable. Even in the published Star Wars books work when a new book is announced there's always the Monty Python guy in the forum crowd "Wheres this race!". Even devs can't win.

18 hours ago, azato said:

Ooooh...this is rough work I have done,  @Terefang .  I think it needs to be refined but here it is.       https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ar4S02ivDcJOlDatX5TYD8djcfr8

that helps alot

i will post my work in the expanded talents thread

PS: i recently bought "The Book of Skelos", and yes i am with you at least as sorcery is concerned, there is a need for some flavory talent conversion