Shadow345

Who is Armada for?

I think the problem with Armada is that many X-Wing players didn't feel the need to invest in another Star Wars Space Game after spending money on X-Wing.

And many of the simple and nice mechanics were abandoned for Armada and instead we got a 6 turn wargame system again. Also the ability to manuever in X-Wing can be answered with a K-Turn but Armada punishes the player until they have played enough games to manuever and get the best firing arcs.

Now I was lured in with the chance to buy and play Imperial Star Destroyers and Mon Calamari Cruisers but money is a real thing so it's not surprising that many X-Wing players I have heard from don't feel inspired to double dip on a second FFG Star Wars starship game.

1 hour ago, Shadow345 said:

I think the problem with Armada is that many X-Wing players didn't feel the need to invest in another Star Wars Space Game after spending money on X-Wing.

And many of the simple and nice mechanics were abandoned for Armada and instead we got a 6 turn wargame system again. Also the ability to manuever in X-Wing can be answered with a K-Turn but Armada punishes the player until they have played enough games to manuever and get the best firing arcs.

Now I was lured in with the chance to buy and play Imperial Star Destroyers and Mon Calamari Cruisers but money is a real thing so it's not surprising that many X-Wing players I have heard from don't feel inspired to double dip on a second FFG Star Wars starship game.

Isn't this a good thing? Why release two different games that target the exact same audience?

Armada, X-Wing, and Legion are all very different and one thing FFG is good at is not just making the same game over and over with different models.

3 hours ago, Shadow345 said:

You say "punishes" I say "rewards".  Some play chess and some play checkers.

3 hours ago, TheCallum said:

Not everyone plays XWing.

^This

That said I did trade a bunch of Destiny (did not like it) for a good sized X-Wing collection.  I am going to convert one faction and see if I like it but watching it played it just never appealed to me.

Finally capital ships are supposed to be difficult to manuver, that is the nature of the beast.  Even in Armada the Squads/Fighters are extremely flexible in terms of movement and attack.  Other than the fact that both X-Wing and Armada are both set in the Star Wars universe they are very different games.

Edited by Thrindal

If I was more of a jerk, I'd go over to the X-wing forum and type out about how I don't care for it. But it's Saturday and I'm busy, so whoever wants to go troll them...

I'd also suggest tagging Shadow in there so he can know our thoughts. If I was going to do it, of course.

Not really sure why people are thinking I don't play the game or that i'm trolling.

I literally said I do play it.

It's just a thought I put forth as to why I think not many people are heading over to Armada game system. It's not even guessing I've heard people say they don't really want to spend more money on another game after having spent money on X-Wing.

3 minutes ago, Shadow345 said:

Not really sure why people are thinking I don't play the game or that i'm trolling.

It's just a thought I put forth as to why I think not many people are heading over to Armada game system. It's not even guessing I've heard people say they don't really want to spend more money on another game after having spent money on X-Wing.

Yet, you don't think that asking for opinions amongst those who play X-Wing isn't, as said, inherently biasing your answer?

Armada is for people who like Star Wars and/or space combat miniatures games, but want a different experience to X-wing. Simple as that, really.

4 hours ago, Shadow345 said:

Making Armada more like X-wing won't change that. If the games are functionally similar, people will be even less likely to collect both.

3 minutes ago, Shadow345 said:

In simply terms, your right X-wing is More Accessible. It's a shorter, easier, Cheaper Game. Armada is for those of us that Want MORE. More strategy, also Star Destroyers!

I personally sold every once of x-wing I had when Armada came out and never looked twice because I have Enjoyed Armada FAR more then I every enjoyed x-wing. You and others may be diffrent, and that is okay. 

That is why FFG made both :)

I like checkers and chess, just like X-Wing and Armada. I play both game, collect both games. It has just taken me a little longer to purchase all the ships. I buy what I can when I can and the same should be with other folks. You don't NEED every ship that comes out right away. So sit back relax and purchase when you can if you want to get into both. I recommend both they are fun games!! Sometimes I want to be methodical/tactical and sometime I just want to KILL THEM ALL!!! ?

1 hour ago, clontroper5 said:

In simply terms, your right X-wing is More Accessible. It's a shorter, easier, Cheaper Game. Armada is for those of us that Want MORE. More strategy, also Star Destroyers!

I personally sold every ounce of x-wing I had when Armada came out and never looked twice because I have Enjoyed Armada FAR more then I every enjoyed x-wing. You and others may be diffrent, and that is okay. 

That is why FFG made both :)

FTFY

2 hours ago, Shadow345 said:

Doubling down after being recognized for what your trying well played brother well played.  

8 hours ago, Shadow345 said:

I think this is the first fault in your argument, my local group (who has quit 100% X-wing and have sold or are trying to sell all their stuff) did not find it a simple and nice mechanics. We did not find using a K-turn (had to look up, why did you not use the most common term of 3 point turn?) fixed anything. Maneuvering and the green dice were the two biggest reasons we left that game, but by the time we had left it the local group was almost to a hate point. Then Armada comes out with its great, easy to use, and yet with still enough depth to add intrigue maneuver system. The closest we have to a complaint about Armada is that  you are not fielding anything close to armadas, more like squadrons, but that is not a major issue as you can play what ever point total you want.

Armada is for:

Anyone who wants the first wave of content to still be viable 7 waves later. 

Anyone who wants a game with a wide open meta, where there aren't only 3 lists that dominate.  

Anyone who wants the most beautiful prepainted miniatures on the market. 

Anyone who wants a game that gives you the excitement of a cinematic experience unfolding before your very eyes.  

Anyone.