Sign in to follow this  
Vineheart01

Ablative Plating and "Damage"

So one thing i noticed is that Ablative Plating specifically says "prevent 1 damage" not "prevent the damage"

Looking through the rules it seems like the game doesnt differentiate between regular and critical damage, only results. Unless i missed something this means ablative plating does work against Proton Bombs, which inflict a critical hit not a hit, correct?

All i see is the usual "[hit] damage is cancelled before [crithit] damage" which doesnt really mean much since its only a critical hit causing damage.

Interesting question...  Since you take damage one card at a time, if you suffered HIT-CRIT from a Bomblet, can you take the hit, THEN use Ablative Plating to stop the critical damage? 

Before you would suffer damage from an obstacle or from a friendly bomb detonating, you may spend 1 charge. If you do, prevent 1 damage.

46 minutes ago, emeraldbeacon said:

Interesting question...  Since you take damage one card at a time, if you suffered HIT-CRIT from a Bomblet, can you take the hit, THEN use Ablative Plating to stop the critical damage? 

Unless I'm missing something, each damage would be a separate trigger, so you could spend two charges and prevent both of them, if you still had both charges.

On 8/17/2018 at 3:15 PM, emeraldbeacon said:

Bomblet inflicts 1 damage for each hit or crit rolled.  The era of suffering crits from bomblet is over.

2 hours ago, muribundi said:

Why is your plating able to discriminate your bomb and the enemy bomb !??!

Or any mine for that matter....

Game Balance >>>>>>>>>> Fluff / Thematic Consistency.

If it'd been called Ablative Shielding, there could be a just-so story that the shields, knowing exactly when the bomb is going to explode, can preemptively reinforce, to tense up before a blow.  Most ships couldn't, since it's a burst of power that they wouldn't be able to plan for, but when you coordinate your own bomb's timers with your shield generators, you could reduce the damage.

On 8/20/2018 at 4:41 PM, theBitterFig said:

Game Balance >>>>>>>>>> Fluff / Thematic Consistency.

If it'd been called Ablative Shielding, there could be a just-so story that the shields, knowing exactly when the bomb is going to explode, can preemptively reinforce, to tense up before a blow.  Most ships couldn't, since it's a burst of power that they wouldn't be able to plan for, but when you coordinate your own bomb's timers with your shield generators, you could reduce the damage.

I don't think having finally an answer to Bomb in the game would be game breaking... Just cost it accordingly

And your explaination still does not hold water with the Obstacle lol :)

32 minutes ago, muribundi said:

I don't think having finally an answer to Bomb in the game would be game breaking... Just cost it accordingly

And your explaination still does not hold water with the Obstacle lol :)

Because you know you're going to fly over it.  "Brace for Impact!"

7 minutes ago, Chrissr09 said:

What about against enemy seismic bombs? Would you be able to negate the damage dealt by the destroyed obstacle?

What if an enemy seismic charge detonates one of the obstacles you brought to the game?  Is that a friendly asteroid?  :D

Hi all. Related to this, here's a situation:

Begining of turn, ship has beeen dealt 2 "stunned" pilot damage cards on previous turns. He also has his 2 charges on Ablative Plating.

Activation: ship executes maneuver through debris cloud. Gains 1 stress and rolls a dice, gets a crit. He uses Ablative Plating to prevent the damage from the obstacle. 

'Til here, no problem, right? But... 

Can it use Ablative Plating to prevent suffering damage from "Stunned Pilot" too? At least one of them with the 1 charge left?

For reference:

Text on Stunned Pilot: "After you execute a maneuver, if you moved through or overlapped an obstacle, suffer 1 hit damage".

Text on Ablative Plating: "Before you would suffer damage from an obstacle or from a friendly bomb detonating, you may spend 1 charge. If you do, prevent 1 damage".

Hope you guys can help me out with this one.