KnightHammer

First Look Trailer - Star Wars Resistance

This short film has good potential..Filoni should be allowed to make something like this TIE Fighter because there is a a big niche for Star Wars dark and gritty storytelling but no worries the new show Resistance will be good and the kids can watch too.

20 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

the original and best version.

and i find it funny that when trying to defend the idea of Star Wars as a gritty and dark setting, they always have to use Fan made materials to defend that view.. never the films and shows themselves.

Yeah... that wasn't my point... I was simply saying you can make an anime Star Wars show that stylistically doesn't have super bright colors and actually looks like it was set in a Star Wars universe. I used a fan made video to make my point, because it was done in "anime" style and as far as I know the only anime type thing to do Star Wars. 

But while we are on the dark and gritty topic of Star Wars. Exhibit freaking A: 

473a0640-3cef-1834.jpg

Or how about 36 minute video of all on screen canon deaths of named characters: 

Yeah, WAR is in the title bud. Its fairly gritty, its not Saving Private Ryan Omaha Beach scene gritty, but for Sci-Fi it isn't rainbows and unicorns. 

Edited by Jo Jo

58 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Yeah, WAR is in the title bud. Its fairly gritty, its not Saving Private Ryan Omaha Beach scene gritty, but for Sci-Fi it isn't rainbows and unicorns. 

Er, Happy Life day? 

Also, there is a manga Lost Stars adaption where Thane comically hits all the stereotypical pretty boy marks. 

But as pointed out before, this seems to be taking place before open hostilities. If you insist only on focusing open conflict, you never get to see the tragedy of what is lost and undercurrents that lead you there.

To take your example, part of what made Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru's deaths so impactful was that the film gave us a glimpse of their home life with Luke before the war became real for them.

Starting Resistance before open war, let's us see how thing are before the First Order puts the galaxy on notice.

In fact early information talked about how it would take inspiration from the 1930s era of Air Races. The cigar fuselage of the mascot craft is seemingly a callback to the Gee Bee and its kin. This era is where we started to see important elements that were absolutely influential to WW2 begin to make their mark. Doolittle was a race pilot and the Spitfire descended from race aircraft (hey Awing). Resistance absolutely looks poised to mirror that.

So, it would be more Star Wars if the screen were frequently splattered with blood, with burned corpses in the background every other chapter, racers crashing to their deaths, and periodical torture and cold blooded executions by the first order?

In a Kid's show?

Look, I know salt and hate are addictive, and that people usually reach a moment in that they simply hate for the sake of it, but try not to lose global perspective:

KIDS... SHOW… YOUNG PEOPLE... CHILDREN... ADULTS CAN ENJOY TOO, IF THEY LOOSE A BIT THEIR SPHINCTERS 

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:35 AM, Shadow345 said:

It depends on what the story is.

As much as I love The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi a TV show which can flesh out that era some more would be good.

I'm not so hot on about the sequel trilogy, but agree with this; the big thing that can help make it feel more real is more background and a better feel for the universe at large.

How do we get to Day 1 of the resistance's Really Bad Week of TFA/TLJ. There are odds and ends and hints but aside from a couple of very short stories and a comic series, there's nothing concrete.

Rogue One is a good film anyway (at least I like it) but it also takes ANH's plot holes and actually turns them into interesting chunks of story. If this series manages to do the same to TFA/TLJ, it'll be a very nice addition to the universe.

9 hours ago, Octarine-08 said:

But as pointed out before, this seems to be taking place before open hostilities. If you insist only on focusing open conflict, you never get to see the tragedy of what is lost and undercurrents that lead you there.

To take your example, part of what made Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru's deaths so impactful was that the film gave us a glimpse of their home life with Luke before the war became real for them.

Starting Resistance before open war, let's us see how thing are before the First Order puts the galaxy on notice.

Agreed. Whilst you see fragments in the Aftermath trilogy, that's people giving plot exposition about what it will be like, you never see 'The Republic' itself before it almost instantly ceases to exist.

38 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Agreed. Whilst you see fragments in the Aftermath trilogy, that's people giving plot exposition about what it will be like, you never see 'The Republic' itself before it almost instantly ceases to exist.

If you haven't read Bloodline, yet, I can't recommend it enough if you want to hear about that. Lots of NR inner workings and some perspective on why the FO is as powerful as it is - there is a large part of systems (and quite powerful systems at that), that sympathize with it. The novel still ends before the forces of the ST conflict are formed completely, but both FO and Resistance are getting a lot of political background.

Ok, somehow you all have shifted the discussion from the visual aesthetic to the tone of the story when discussing “gritty”-ness. The original complaint was the bright colors and cartoonish look, not the wholesomeness and goody-two-shoes-ness of the story (which we honestly don’t have a clue about yet). 

Star Wars has always looked like a lived in universe. Things get dirty, and sometimes stay that way. That is what was originally meant by gritty (in this thread), and the Saturday morning cartoon look of this trailer doesn’t convey that. 

But somehow you guys (on both sides of the argument) got sidetracked into discussing content and tone instead of look. 

I don't care for the look of the show, but I'll still give it a season or two to see how it plays out.

16 hours ago, Octarine-08 said:

Also, there is a manga Lost Stars adaption where Thane comically hits all the stereotypical pretty boy marks. 

Yea, but I'd take that as a stylized depiction considering Ciena Ree depiction. 

250?cb=20170604161739latest?cb=20170319061058

6 hours ago, Jehan Menasis said:

So, it would be more Star Wars if the screen were frequently splattered with blood, with burned corpses in the background every other chapter, racers crashing to their deaths, and periodical torture and cold blooded executions by the first order?

In a Kid's show?

Look, I know salt and hate are addictive, and that people usually reach a moment in that they simply hate for the sake of it, but try not to lose global perspective:

KIDS... SHOW… YOUNG PEOPLE... CHILDREN... ADULTS CAN ENJOY TOO, IF THEY LOOSE A BIT THEIR SPHINCTERS 

I'd prefer if they just used a few colors outside of pastels. I don't want it all dark and gritty, but the pilot trailer makes everything look a bit too toy bright.

6 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

How do we get to Day 1 of the resistance's Really Bad Week of TFA/TLJ. There are odds and ends and hints but aside from a couple of very short stories and a comic series, there's nothing concrete.

Well, based off a quick google search Resistance takes place a few months before TFA, so I imagine that either the season finale or the second season of the show will deal with the events covered in those films, that or season 2 will pick up after TLJ. I don't see the main cast likely being a part of the events of the films but I could see the cast likely joining the Resistance and being added to Poe's squadron in the second season. 

I think 6 months is actually a decent amount of time.   If the whole 1st season leads up to the destruction of The Hosnian system, then this band of plucky young resistance pilots making a stand against the first order as it attacks their racing station, I think it would be pretty good as a second season - also ties into the resistance sending out a distress call, but not able to respond - as they are defending themselves.  Kazudo rallying the other racers to fight, to do what is right hits the right spots.   Maybe Yeager knows where an old Pelta class is floating derelict.. or can direct these young pilots to another old rebel General and let phoenix squad be reborn.

1 hour ago, CapitanGuinea said:

a lot of legend reference in that video. The admiral is Prince Admiral Delak Krennel, the vesting pilot in briefing room is Turr Phennir... such good time they where, before darkness... before Kennedy, and Disney...

I believe that pilot is in fact M.D Geist on vacation

1194830756_ggeisto2.JPG.b75d4226a3f92fefe2b58b64efe3fbc6.JPGgeisto.jpg.f65424ed276fafc0a48e91f61fc29013.jpg

1 hour ago, CapitanGuinea said:

a lot of legend reference in that video. The admiral is Prince Admiral Delak Krennel, the vesting pilot in briefing room is Turr Phennir... such good time they where, before darkness... before Kennedy, and Disney...

Oh shut up.

I don’t mind the tone or the style, but I’ll be skipping this one. It just doesn’t feel like Star Wars to me. It doesn’t resonate on any level. I liked both Clone Wars and Rebels, I liked the Prequels and the New Trilogy. 

I don’t hate this by any means, I just don’t care about it. I feel it can be comfortably ignored. 

The only Star Wars thing I hate is Aftermath, that book was so bad It made me stop reading every Star Wars book. 

1 minute ago, DelGriffen said:

I don’t mind the tone or the style, but I’ll be skipping this one. It just doesn’t feel like Star Wars to me. It doesn’t resonate on any level. I liked both Clone Wars and Rebels, I liked the Prequels and the New Trilogy. 

I don’t hate this by any means, I just don’t care about it. I feel it can be comfortably ignored. 

The only Star Wars thing I hate is Aftermath, that book was so bad It made me stop reading every Star Wars book. 

Give this one a season to grow then. We're about on the same page in every other way.

14 hours ago, CapitanGuinea said:

actually, no. If you bothered to download the character PDF linked in the description of the video ( this ) you'll find every single character is an original creation, with a bunch of backstory that didn't make it into the film.

Interesting to see Disney giving Polygon a second shot after Tron Uprising failed. I don't dislike the style they use but the colors are a bit bright for it. I also don't see the show doing well but we'll see.

Thoroughly enjoying the like to dislike ratio. Must be those pesky haters again, god can't you all just get over TLJ.