KnightHammer

First Look Trailer - Star Wars Resistance

4 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

What?  Caravan of Courage is objectively a better film than The Least Jedi, with a more original story and stronger characterisations as well.

Will you people please look up the word OBJECTIVE.

I am positive it does not mean what you think it means.

We've already screwed up literally, for f*cks sake.

/rant

12 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Will you people please look up the word OBJECTIVE.

I am positive it does not mean what you think it means.

We've already screwed up literally, for f*cks sake.

/rant

Objectively-  in a way that is not influenced by personal feelings or opinions.

While, I don't necessarily disagree with FTS Gecko's sentiment, (I rather like Caravan of Courage and think TLJ is pretty sorry) I have to agree he's not being 100% objective (although it's super hard to ever be 100%) While he gives "points" of a more original story and better characterizations, those are just his opinions, even if many people share them, myself included.

Also I'm not sure how "We've already screwed up literally"?

Edited by JJFDVORAK

6 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

While, I don't necessarily disagree with FTS Gecko's sentiment, (I rather like Caravan of Courage and think TLJ is pretty sorry) I have to agree he's not being 100% objective (although it's super hard to ever be 100%) While he gives "points" of a more original story and better characterizations, those are just his opinions, even if many people share them, myself included.

I think Caravan of Courage vs The Last Jedi probably deserves it's own topic.  I could go into a lot of detail on this.

26 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

Either by moving from objectivity to subjectivity while still claiming objectivity (possible), or drifting from what the topic of the OP is (most likely). :)

38 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

He is referring to how people have been using “literally” wrong (in exactly the same way “objectively” is being used here) for so long that the Oxford English Dictionary recently added the informal, opposite meaning to the word. So the  dictionary now defines the word “literally” as possibly meaning its opposite. 

19 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

He is referring to how people have been using “literally” wrong (in exactly the same way “objectively” is being used here) for so long that the Oxford English Dictionary recently added the informal, opposite meaning to the word. So the  dictionary now defines the word “literally” as possibly meaning its opposite. 

I had not heard that. That is a shame really. If you can't count on Oxford, who can you count on??

18 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

FYI, I'm using "objectively" correctly.

Arguably.

As we are referring to works of art (movies being an artistic expression), I have a very hard believing you are actually being objective. I remember that movie. There are several ways TLJ blow it out of the water, particularly on the technical side. 

1 hour ago, SabineKey said:

As we are referring to works of art (movies being an artistic expression), I have a very hard believing you are actually being objective. I remember that movie. There are several ways TLJ blow it out of the water, particularly on the technical side. 

Oh absolutely, as I said above technically TLJ is a superb film.  The special effects are phenomenal.  But of course you'd expect that from a studio like Lucasfilm, who has been refining their craft for forty-odd years.

Saying TLJ is better than Caravan of Courage solely on it's technical merits is like saying The Meg is better than Jaws.

Edited by FTS Gecko

13 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Oh absolutely, as I said above technically TLJ is a superb film.  The special effects are phenomenal.  But of course you'd expect that from a studio like Lucasfilm, who has been refining their craft for forty-odd years.

Saying TLJ is better than Caravan of Courage solely on it's technical merits is like saying The Meg is better than Jaws.

But you have yet to actually show evidence that the comparison is anywhere as close to comparing the Meg and Jaws. 

I also argue that they’re are several performances in TLJ that are better than in the Caravan. Not to mention cinematography and fight choreography. These are all factors in a movie and must be considered when making a objective comparison. 

Look, you want to say subjectively that Caravan is better, that’s your opinion and you are welcome to it. But if you are going to use the word objective, you’re gonna have to back that up with evidence. I encourage you to follow @JJFDVORAK‘s request for you to make a topic and to put a poll at the end to see how people agree. 

14 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

But if you are going to use the word objective, you’re gonna have to back that up with evidence.

Exhibit 1. 

Clearly motivated and realistic conflicts/combat.

Might be the beer, but that scene was intense. I need to pick up a copy of the film to relive the nostalgia. We had it on VHS when I was a kid.

6 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Filoni has distanced himself from this, saying it’s largely in other people’s hands. You may want to be cautious if you’re expecting his work to show through.

Whoa, whoa, whoa..  way to put words in someones mouth.   

Filoni is taking on more of the Role George Lucas did with him in the Clone Wars.   

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/08/14/star-wars-resistance-dave-filoni-involvement/

8 minutes ago, ViscerothSWG said:

Exhibit 1. 

Clearly motivated and realistic conflicts/combat.

Might be the beer, but that scene was intense. I need to pick up a copy of the film to relive the nostalgia. We had it on VHS when I was a kid.

It seems like the beer to me. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s really bad. But the acting wasn’t really anything to write home about, the shots seemed adequate, and it even required narration to explain the start of the scene. 

Not seeing a objectively better film from that clip. In fact, your mention of nostalgia kind of shows your aren’t approaching this objectively. Now, if you are fine with that and want to compare the movies subjectively, more power to you. I hope you get the enjoyment you want from the film. But, again, I’m not seeing objective superiority from that clip.

On 8/18/2018 at 2:45 PM, FTS Gecko said:

OF COURSE IT'S AN OBSESSION

IT'S AWFUL.  AND IT'S CANON.

Get over it and find something else to do then. This is one of those times where you can genuinely choose your happiness.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:38 PM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa..  way to put words in someones mouth.   

Filoni is taking on more of the Role George Lucas did with him in the Clone Wars.   

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/08/14/star-wars-resistance-dave-filoni-involvement/

Thank you. Let's get rid of this narrative quick. Because this "oh filoni is working on TCW not this doo doo" will only hurt everybody. And it's false. Thank you.

Edited by FFGSysops

On 8/17/2018 at 9:26 AM, Jo Jo said:

True, but they can at least be muted a bit and make it actually look like Star Wars. Case in point:

Star Wars is a gritty/dark universe.

Kinda irritates me when people link the remastered version and not the version the creator put out because it doesn't match their definition of star wars music/sfx.

35 minutes ago, Hujoe Bigs said:

Kinda irritates me when people link the remastered version and not the version the creator put out because it doesn't match their definition of star wars music/sfx.

I didn't even look at the remastered version.

Star Wars fans really have no respect for anybody's vision but their own, huh?

the original and best version.

and i find it funny that when trying to defend the idea of Star Wars as a gritty and dark setting, they always have to use Fan made materials to defend that view.. never the films and shows themselves.

Edited by mithril2098