KnightHammer

First Look Trailer - Star Wars Resistance

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

Hey... someone who actually agrees with me almost verbatim about every single Disney Star Wars movie. 

Really, I’m hoping Disney learns from the blowback and dumps Rian and his trilogy. Give it to someone deserving.

And I still want this show to do well with the kids so they keep making Star Wars.

Exactly! I don't know why Disney would commit to giving Johnson his own trilogy before TLJ even came out! He's never made anything! And after TLJ, I'm very worried! But hopefully Disney might change their minds after all the backlash. We'll see.

51 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

Yeah, no. I actually rather liked TLJ. Way better than the fan fiction tha5 was TFA. This came across like an old Saturday morning cartoon, not anime.

But we’ll see. 

Well I actually rather disliked TLJ, so you've proved my point. TLJ polarized the SW fanbase. A lot of people hated it; I guess a lot of people loved it. But either way, I think Solo's pitiful box office run was more to do with TLJ backlash than it's own failings. And I agree with you about the animation style. It didn't scream Anime to me either. More just "Kid's show" and since I have two boys (7 and 3) I'm ok with that. Hopefully the story will be good. I'm hopeful and optimistic. Like you said, we'll see.

2 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

It's bonkers. For a fanbase that picks on Anakin, they should identify with him the most.

unknown.png

Let's ignore the TLJ stuff for a second and focus on the bold.

Do you remember 1999?

It's been nearly twenty years.

The hatred hasn't ever stopped.

And unfortunately you are correct. I've never really gotten all the prequal hate. They were enjoyable movies, even if the dialogue and acting was sub par. They were great at expanding the SW universe and had tons of cool ideas. My only real complaint with the prequals is that the don't mesh perfectly into the OT. You had 30 years George! It should have been seamless. But whatever, o can see past that. SW is my favorite movie series and to me it's like sex or pizza. Even when it's not great, it's still pretty good and I can find pleasure in it. 

11 minutes ago, Ixidor said:

I'm surprised they aren't using the same VA for Leia from Rebels and Freemaker. I wonder if that says something about how much Leia will be in this, maybe a regular cast member?

My reactions for the day are spent.... Here's a smile :)

1 hour ago, Ixidor said:

I'm surprised they aren't using the same VA for Leia from Rebels and Freemaker. I wonder if that says something about how much Leia will be in this, maybe a regular cast member?

someone who can do a young Carrie fisher impression might not be able to do an older Carrie Fisher impression as effectively.

I didn't mind the trailer. It's very short so not that much to go on.

Once again we have adults forgetting Star Wars was made for young audiences all along and mistaking it for something more adult like Dune or Battlestar Galactica. They also continue to equate made for young audiences with low quality which is two different parameters.

8 hours ago, JJFDVORAK said:

I think Solo's pitiful box office run was more to do with TLJ backlash than it's own failings

Solo was a great, fun movie. And it made $213 million dollars in the United States and $178 million dollars outside the US.  That’s about 1/3 of what the last Jedi made and about 1/2 of what Rogue One made.  Disappointing for Disney definitely but not “pitiful” and certainly not a “flop.” It has a higher domestic gross and had a better opening weekend than “Ant Man and the Wasp” which I would say is pretty comparable in terms of where it sits in it’s respective franchise.  Franchise fatigue and better marketed blockbusters already this year are enough to explain its performance regardless of the quality of the film.  It’s just that EVERY Star Wars movie is expected to break records.  Instead we have “fans” that were campaigning against the film before it came out and actively trying to encourage people NOT to go see it.  The modern “fan” seems to be defined as someone who wants to kill the thing they claim to love.

Which brings me to the topic of the thread.  As context, I’m not a big fan of either Clone Wars or Rebels. I don’t really like the stylized animation, and frankly the Clone Wars is (IMHO) incredibly poorly written (I haven’t seen enough Rebels to judge but I expect it’s the same).  But I have never felt the need to run to the internet and share this view because I recognize that these shows ARE NOT FOR ME.  I am a middle aged man.  Yeah, I still love Star Wars (I’m painting hundreds of miniatures for Legion...) but nostalgia aside this universe has always been for and about stirring the imaginations of young people (hence the ending of The Last Jedi).  It’s just a testament to Lucas’s original trilogy that adults are able to ride along and enjoy it as well.  But I really wish we could keep this in context.

The animation in Resistance seems pretty reasonable to me.  It’s cell shaded to resemble 2D animation and if you look at the scenes I wouldn’t call it overly colorful for an animated show - although it isn’t as washed out as Clone Wars or Rebels. It actually appears to make quite sophisticated use of lighting - with many of the scenes featuring the golden light and long shadows of winter afternoons which is much sought after for filming dramatic sequences and was heavily used by Lucas in the prequel trilogy.

What we see of the plot looks like pretty standard kids’ adventure fare. The protagonists says “imagine what it would be like to be an ace pilot?”  Hokey for sure but pretty standard stuff for a kids’ adventure.  

Obviously no one has to like it.  And certainly I’m not suggesting that people aren’t allowed to share their opinions on stuff.  I don’t mean to vent my frustration at a world filled with hateful Star Wars fans at everybody here but I see a lot of folks with weird expectations that I don’t understand.  When I hear that Disney is making a cartoon for Disney HD that is Star Wars, I don’t assume that it’s going to be geared towards middle aged men.  I assume it’s going to be a cartoon geared at kids.  So when people show up to say “well this looks like trash - it’s a kiddie show!” it kind of blows my mind.

sorry for the rant.

48 minutes ago, BigBadAndy said:

Solo was a great, fun movie. And it made $213 million dollars in the United States and $178 million dollars outside the US.  That’s about 1/3 of what the last Jedi made and about 1/2 of what Rogue One made.  Disappointing for Disney definitely but not “pitiful” and certainly not a “flop.” It has a higher domestic gross and had a better opening weekend than “Ant Man and the Wasp” which I would say is pretty comparable in terms of where it sits in it’s respective franchise.  Franchise fatigue and better marketed blockbusters already this year are enough to explain its performance regardless of the quality of the film.  It’s just that EVERY Star Wars movie is expected to break records.  Instead we have “fans” that were campaigning against the film before it came out and actively trying to encourage people NOT to go see it.  The modern “fan” seems to be defined as someone who wants to kill the thing they claim to love.

Which brings me to the topic of the thread.  As context, I’m not a big fan of either Clone Wars or Rebels. I don’t really like the stylized animation, and frankly the Clone Wars is (IMHO) incredibly poorly written (I haven’t seen enough Rebels to judge but I expect it’s the same).  But I have never felt the need to run to the internet and share this view because I recognize that these shows ARE NOT FOR ME.  I am a middle aged man.  Yeah, I still love Star Wars (I’m painting hundreds of miniatures for Legion...) but nostalgia aside this universe has always been for and about stirring the imaginations of young people (hence the ending of The Last Jedi).  It’s just a testament to Lucas’s original trilogy that adults are able to ride along and enjoy it as well.  But I really wish we could keep this in context.

The animation in Resistance seems pretty reasonable to me.  It’s cell shaded to resemble 2D animation and if you look at the scenes I wouldn’t call it overly colorful for an animated show - although it isn’t as washed out as Clone Wars or Rebels. It actually appears to make quite sophisticated use of lighting - with many of the scenes featuring the golden light and long shadows of winter afternoons which is much sought after for filming dramatic sequences and was heavily used by Lucas in the prequel trilogy.

What we see of the plot looks like pretty standard kids’ adventure fare. The protagonists says “imagine what it would be like to be an ace pilot?”  Hokey for sure but pretty standard stuff for a kids’ adventure.  

Obviously no one has to like it.  And certainly I’m not suggesting that people aren’t allowed to share their opinions on stuff.  I don’t mean to vent my frustration at a world filled with hateful Star Wars fans at everybody here but I see a lot of folks with weird expectations that I don’t understand.  When I hear that Disney is making a cartoon for Disney HD that is Star Wars, I don’t assume that it’s going to be geared towards middle aged men.  I assume it’s going to be a cartoon geared at kids.  So when people show up to say “well this looks like trash - it’s a kiddie show!” it kind of blows my mind.

sorry for the rant.

Dude, never apologize for that, that was frakkin' beautiful.

These are words that must be said. Good lord, if I could bookmark posts.

2 hours ago, BigBadAndy said:

Solo was a flop because it earned less than it costed to make and sell, simple as that. Comparing a movie about ******* Han Solo, a character comfortably sitting in the top 5 of the most popular characters in movie history, to a sequel of a movie about a character  so insignificant to MCU  he doesn't even get a scene in Marvel's greatest crossover, and talking about some "fatigue", while Marvel chunks out 5 superhero movies per year and doen't slow down just shows how depressingly low Star Wars has fallen.

People who defend corporate interest for free and insist that everything is fine while the house burns around them are part of the problem.

Edited by eMeM

10 hours ago, Ixidor said:

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Leia is older?  Carrie Fisher sounded a lot different.  

1 hour ago, eMeM said:

Solo was a flop because it earned less than it costed to make and sell, simple as that. 

Well, it cost (not costed) 250 million to make, and earned 400 million at the box office. Even tossing in the marketing budget it broke even, and that’s before any video sales. Disney will not be able to write it off as a tax break. Sorry to point out that all of those nerd rage videos you likely subscribe to are built on a lie, but oh well.  No question Solo is not a hit.  But it didn’t lose money.

1 hour ago, eMeM said:

People who defend corporate interest for free and insist that everything is fine while the house burns around them are part of the problem

This is exactly the kind of stupid $hit that I’m talking about.  What house? What’s burning?  What problem?  The problem that you no longer like Star Wars?  Friend, that is not a problem.  If the whole thing tanks and they stop making movies well, gosh, that would be too bad.  But I spent 20 years listening to everyone wish they would make more Star Wars movies and then when they started making them, those same people have done nothing but complain.  For the last 15 years listening to ever more hysterical complaints.  Maybe they should just stop trying.  I’ll jut be over here enjoying painting my tiny army men until they stop making them.

As far as “defending corporate interests” I’m not sure what pointing out that people have lost their minds has to do with corporate interests besides the penchant of man babies to feel like everything needs to be described in terms of conspiracy and loaded with melodramatic weight.  But if you need me to play the villain in whatever bizarre narrative you need to feel like you’re fighting the good fight to “save” Star Wars then knock yourself out.  Bob Iger sent me for damage control.  (Evil cackle)

Just as an aside, this movie that you hate - did you see it?  If you did then congratulation in supporting corporate interests.  If you didn’t, then how do you know it’s so awful?

Edited by BigBadAndy

15 hours ago, JJFDVORAK said:

I really think everyone needs to just calm down with the negative emotions at this point. I think that, unfortunately, TLJ was so bad and polarizing, that now the fans look for reasons to hate on Star Wars. Yes, TLJ was a dumpster fire, but since Disney took over, they have done an ok job. TFA was pretty good (even if it was a remake  of Episode 4) and Rogue One and Solo were solid, with good stories (even though we knew the endings-more for less) and decent amounts of fan service.  Rebels was pretty fun, even if it was weird and fell flat a few times.  Eventually if everyone keeps this negativity up, Disney will cut and run on Star Wars and we won't get anything new. Star Wars will be dead. So just enjoy something for once. Remember that Star Wars is for kids and families and that is ok. I watched the Resistance trailer and thought, "cool, a story about star fighter racing in the Star Wars Galaxy. I like those ring things they are obviously using as check points. I wonder if I could make half rings and make rules for my Xwing ships to race through."

My point is everyone needs to just relax and enjoy Star Wars! That's why we are all here anyway, a love of Star Wars. So love it!

Well said.  Unfortunately Disney dropped the ball hard with the sequels - the fans have been waiting since Return of the Jedi to see Luke, Leia, Han and Lando back on the big screen, and, unfortunately, the opportunity for a real, positive passing-of-the-torch has been lost forever now.  Where they took their time with the MCU, Disney rushed into their relaunch of the Star Wars franchise, and it shows.

The Force Awakens was a beautifully realised film that ended up being a pretty disappointing blow-by=blow rehash of a New Hope.  I gave it a pass at the time because although it was highly derivative, it was also pretty entertaining and I recognised that Disney needed to jump-start the franchise for a new era of fans, and that was probably the least risky way of doing it.

Unfortunately, The Least Jedi - while for the most part being just as if not more stunningly shot than The Force Awakens - had a story which became a depressingly painful, borderline offensive blow-by-blow-oh-no-it-isn't-oh-yes-it-is rehash of The Empire Strikes Back without any of the fun, and it was the first film I've ever seen which literally made me feel like walking out of the cinema.  I've lost all interest in where the Star Wars story goes after the events of the original trilogy now, and that reaction can be placed squarely on Ruin Johnson's doorstep.

All that said, Disney have a record that is more hit than miss so far.  Rebels was fun.  Rogue One was a worthy addition to the original Star Wars series and Solo was - considering the behind the scenes drama - very enjoyable.  I'm sure The Resistance will end up being good, but unfortunately for me it's set in a timeline I'm no longer particularly interested in.

Edited by FTS Gecko

14 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

924ux4c4.png

Seems there is a fan of classic LeMans racing among the team making the series. This is a 1970 Porsche 917k, Gulf livery and all, ported into Star Wars.

image.png.e2089abe46537d79c0f7d43fe241a31f.png

If this ship makes it into the X-Wing Miniatures game, it will be a case of Gaslands meets X-Wing.

I hate to sound like "Negative Nancy" but the whole idea of copying a classic car so blatantly into StarWars seems crappy to me.

*EDIT* If you want to drive the car, I suggest you grab a good steering wheel and a copy of the PC game Assetto Corsa. Fantastic simulator.

I totally spotted that reference from my slot car racing youth.  But I couldn't have found the direct link. :)

So, to be the "Positive Paulie,"  most everything is ripped off of something.  I'm glad they chose something pretty cool to rip off.  I like the look of that ship, way more so than the flying dowel rod behind it.

1 hour ago, BigBadAndy said:

Well, it cost (not costed) 250 million to make, and earned 400 million at the box office. Even tossing in the marketing budget it broke even, and that’s before any video sales. Disney will not be able to write it off as a tax break. Sorry to point out that all of those nerd rage videos you likely subscribe to are built on a lie, but oh well.  No question Solo is not a hit.  But it didn’t lose money.

This is exactly the kind of stupid $hit that I’m talking about.  What house? What’s burning?  What problem?  The problem that you no longer like Star Wars?  Friend, that is not a problem.  If the whole thing tanks and they stop making movies well, gosh, that would be too bad.  But I spent 20 years listening to everyone wish they would make more Star Wars movies and then when they started making them, those same people have done nothing but complain.  For the last 15 years listening to ever more hysterical complaints.  Maybe they should just stop trying.  I’ll jut be over here enjoying painting my tiny army men until they stop making them.

As far as “defending corporate interests” I’m not sure what pointing out that people have lost their minds has to do with corporate interests besides the penchant of man babies to feel like everything needs to be described in terms of conspiracy and loaded with melodramatic weight.  But if you need me to play the villain in whatever bizarre narrative you need to feel like you’re fighting the good fight to “save” Star Wars then knock yourself out.  Bob Iger sent me for damage control.  (Evil cackle)

Just as an aside, this movie that you hate - did you see it?  If you did then congratulation in supporting corporate interests.  If you didn’t, then how do you know it’s so awful?

You are assuming a helluva lot of things about me.

I don't believe you were sent by Bob Iger, that's why I said you are doing it for free. Brainwashed to defend corporations by today's society, against facts, against self-interest, it's everywhere, for example this forum is full of people ready to defend FFG's broken promises. It's bizarre to witness.

I liked Solo very much thank you, if you dig deep enough you can find my posts where i recommend it and complain that people won't see it and Disney will take the wrong message and cancel spin offs, which is of course what happened.

But I'm not delusional and I know the very basics of box office, the rule of thumb is that a movie should make ~twice the production budget. That's not only marketing but also middlemen, like for example cinemas, which, if you had the slightest idea how the world works, you wouldn't expect to screen out of pure love of Star Wars.

Seriously, you didn't even try to Google this, you just subtracted budget from box office, this is not how any of this works.

So why, instead of educating yourself, you spread false information on the forums defending Disney's image? How is the house not burning if a movie about Han Solo doesn't break  even, and after two movies in six months people are claiming "fatigue" and comparing Han Solo to Ant-Man?