KnightHammer

First Look Trailer - Star Wars Resistance

5 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

It reminds me of the Voltron reboot on netflix. Hate that cartoon and will likely hate this. Now the 2 @svelok mention, knights and blame are pretty cool.

That reboot has been decent. And this reminds me season 7 just released. I know now what I'm doing this weekend.

10 minutes ago, WAC47 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait... were you serious?

Well... The rebel aesthetic is somewhat... dirty or used, which doesn't always work with bright colors, while the Empire is generally stark and uniform, which doesn't lend itself to colors in general. Grim, however, Star Wars is decidedly not.

The trailer isn't all that inspiring, I'll still likely watch season 1 and give the following season a shot as well based off of how Clone Wars and Rebels had rough first seasons and it is made by Filoni so hopefully good. I do get the feeling that it will likely more heavily lean in on the racing plot more than the spy one though. Still, hope to see more cool ships added for X-Wing. 

1 hour ago, dadocollin said:

Why do all Star Wars cartoons have to have such stylized animation?  I've watched all of Clone Wars and Rebels, but never particularly cared for the animation in either.  This new bright style seems somewhat simple again without a lot of detail so episodes can be put out quickly.  This is Disney too - they animate for a living.  I just don't get it.  

One other note - this says Disney Channel, not Disney XD.  I wonder if this will run on the main channel unlike Rebels.  Many of the announcements said XD a few months ago.  The promo might just not be differentiating.

Well Disney has a number of different studios that deal with animation with people who have their own styles and visions so of course things would be different from place to place. I suspect that Filoni's team were charged with creating the story, character designs, scripts, voice work and the direction while the animation was entirely in the hands of Polygon. 

1 hour ago, svelok said:

The animation is being done by Polygon Pictures. It's in the same style as their other works.

Which would help explain why I don't much care for it, or really most of Polygon's other work.

57 minutes ago, dadocollin said:

I get this is supposed to be an Anime style and I'm actually a fan of Transformers: Robots in Disguise, which Polygon did.   I watch a lot of Gundam and other Anime and I'm just not sure I like this bright, simple style for Star Wars.  I'll give it a chance.

It is rather kiddy as far as color pallet goes, ironically it seems that the works become brighter with each new Filoni project. Maybe it will be like Build Fighters which had a bright color pallet for its show but was fun for what it was. 

49 minutes ago, mithril2098 said:

you realize that all animation is done on computers now? the last time hand animation was used as a common thing was in the early 90's. nowadays it is just a gimmick at best, mostly used for short stories. heck, even in the 90's they were using computers for assembly, they hadn't use analog systems for combining the cells since the 80's. all animation is created and assembled on computers now. it is just that in the last decade the tech has gotten better (in large parts due to just more powerful computers becoming affordable) so they can do more detailed 3D models instead of replicating the layered 2D of the old hand drawn days, and have said 3D models move in more convincing ways.

Just to be that guy the last thing in the US to be traditionally animated commercially was the video game Cuphead, which had a small team and explains why the game was delayed years due to the technical work on it. When they announced that Resistance was going for a Anime style I was sort of hoping it would be 2D but I guess at least this way they can reuse some assets from Rebels and Clone Wars for background material and ships. I just hope that like with Rebels they will do those episode breakdown bits on the Star Wars website showing off their assets and little bits of trivia. 

9 minutes ago, WAC47 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait... were you serious?

I think he might mean in terms of color pallet. 

Wow, it look like exactly what I dislike. It could be transformers or any other toy-advertising show.

But the most important in a show is the scenario. Maybe the different protagonist will have deep background and interesting personalities.

I doubt it, but there is still a chance for me to like the show. Or to not dislike it.

7 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

I think he might mean in terms of color pallet. 

Yes the color. I am not talking about theme. Everything is dark, grey, sandy looking. Whereas in Star Trek you got your bright blues, reds, etc.

Of course sometimes the theme is pretty dark....

79f.jpg

Edited by Jo Jo

8 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Yes the color. I am not talking about theme. Everything is dark, grey, sandy looking. Whereas in Star Trek you got your bright blues, reds, lighter colors.

Fair enough. The dark/gritty descriptor is so often tied to theme (even when referencing colors) that I automatically assumed you meant both. Even then I don't really think of Star Wars in those terms.

5 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Yep, it looks like two of my favorites, the Starchaser and the Toscan Starfighter, had a child.

+Toscan.jpg

Oh man, I'm digging that Toscan Starfighter, never saw it before. 

1 minute ago, Darth Meanie said:

Absolutely!!

Image result for naboo cruiser

Except when it is shiny and clean.

I think a post OT/GCW era would be dirtier than pre-Clone Wars era. I mean, this is literally in the same era as this:

Related image

4 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Oh man, I'm digging that Toscan Starfighter, never saw it before. 

It is kind of slow, but the "Imperial version" was armed to the teeth. (4 lasers + 2 ions + missiles)

EDIT: here is the most gorgeous rendition: 

toscan_8_q_starfighter_by_shoguneagle-da

Edited by Odanan

1 hour ago, dadocollin said:

Why do all Star Wars cartoons have to have such stylized animation?  I've watched all of Clone Wars and Rebels, but never particularly cared for the animation in either.  This new bright style seems somewhat simple again without a lot of detail so episodes can be put out quickly.  This is Disney too - they animate for a living.  I just don't get it.  

One other note - this says Disney Channel, not Disney XD.  I wonder if this will run on the main channel unlike Rebels.  Many of the announcements said XD a few months ago.  The promo might just not be differentiating.

VBdQJyNlOObjqGZ-1600x900-noPad.jpg?15207

Because everybody freaked out over this.
And uh, every show so far looks better than...
droids-mungo-baobab-threepio-r2d2-c3po-c

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

Sequel stuff.  Bleh.

What did you expect RESISTANCE to be? An animated TV series about Ewoks?

1 hour ago, KnightHammer said:

What are the ships at 42 seconds, i tried putting up a pic but it did not want to attach them lol

Well this looks interesting! I feel like Kaz's VA is trying VERY hard not to sound like Ezra.

Ships look great!

Golden-*** stormtrooper is WEIRD. What's up with THAT? I wanna' know! Captain Phasma's much more expensive cousin? :P

It'll be nice to see some actual ship racing for once. It's about time!

1 hour ago, Jo Jo said:

If you took out the sounds effect, BB-8, and the gold Stormtrooper, you would have no idea this was a Star Wars show.

The colors are about 3-4 shades too bright.

You're right. Star Wars is colorless.

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

Not impressed. Will not bother with the watch. If it yields good First Order content great, I may still play it to help diversify the faction but not going to be anything I follow. Clone Wars and Rebels both look way better.

You know, the weird irony is that people said this about Rebels, too. Now Rebels has a huge following. Funny how that works out every time isn't it?

42 minutes ago, ViscerothSWG said:

The animation doesn't bug me, but that dialogue was painful.

Trailer-cut dialogue is always the sodding worst. Really, honestly. In context I'm sure it's all fine.

35 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

Adding to the not impressed pile but as others have said, this is a show for kids. This is to sell toys and plushies. I have 0 faith in any kind of good story. It’ll be stupid jokes and ships going zoom zoom.

It reminds me of the Voltron reboot on netflix. Hate that cartoon and will likely hate this. Now the 2 @svelok mention, knights and blame are pretty cool.

Ships going zoom-zoom in Star Wars is a bad thing, news flash.

38 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

True, but they can at least be muted a bit and make it actually look like Star Wars. Case in point:

Star Wars is a gritty/dark universe.

1: That's fanmade.
2: Were you looking for Glorified Fanfiction?

Where did I say Star Wars is colorless?

I simply said the colors are more muted then this super bright animated show we are getting. It just doesn't look like Star Wars to me at all. Maybe the show will be actually good. Visually though it doesn't look good to me.

49 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Where did I say Star Wars is colorless?

I simply said the colors are more muted then this super bright animated show we are getting. It just doesn't look like Star Wars to me at all. Maybe the show will be actually good. Visually though it doesn't look good to me.

You're thinking of the muted colors of the Rebels and the Empire. This is a racing outpost, the color palette is more like the pod racers in Ep. 1. "Resistance" is set during a time of peace. The New Republic is at the height of it's power. It's not a dark time in the galaxy... yet. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake? Anyone can make an error. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." -Grand Admiral Thrawn

Edited by Tooka-cat

Heh, honestly not sure how anyone could have really strong opinions based on that. I kinda like the bright style featured in the clip, but imagine that there will be darker palettes at times as well.

Looks alright. I do trust Filoni at this point and am willing to give it a season to see. Looking like a prime source for new ships at least. Glad it's so focused on smaller fighters since large bases look so bad in 2.0 so far. 

23 minutes ago, RebelProfundity said:

Heh, honestly not sure how anyone could have really strong opinions based on that. I kinda like the bright style featured in the clip, but imagine that there will be darker palettes at times as well.

Looks alright. I do trust Filoni at this point and am willing to give it a season to see. Looking like a prime source for new ships at least. Glad it's so focused on smaller fighters since large bases look so bad in 2.0 so far. 

Filoni doesn't have much to do with this, he said he's mostly focused on other projects.

3 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

you realize that all animation is done on computers now? the last time hand animation was used as a common thing was in the early 90's. nowadays it is just a gimmick at best, mostly used for short stories. heck, even in the 90's they were using computers for assembly, they hadn't use analog systems for combining the cells since the 80's. all animation is created and assembled on computers now. it is just that in the last decade the tech has gotten better (in large parts due to just more powerful computers becoming affordable) so they can do more detailed 3D models instead of replicating the layered 2D of the old hand drawn days, and have said 3D models move in more convincing ways.

This isn't even true for western animation (a lot of TV stuff is hand drawn, like Steven Universe, Adventure Time and other similar shows), but this was said to be anime-inspired, so expecting something else is not as outlandish as you make it out to be.