KnightHammer

First Look Trailer - Star Wars Resistance

Why do all Star Wars cartoons have to have such stylized animation?  I've watched all of Clone Wars and Rebels, but never particularly cared for the animation in either.  This new bright style seems somewhat simple again without a lot of detail so episodes can be put out quickly.  This is Disney too - they animate for a living.  I just don't get it.  

One other note - this says Disney Channel, not Disney XD.  I wonder if this will run on the main channel unlike Rebels.  Many of the announcements said XD a few months ago.  The promo might just not be differentiating.

4 minutes ago, dadocollin said:

Why do all Star Wars cartoons have to have such stylized animation?  I've watched all of Clone Wars and Rebels, but never particularly cared for the animation in either.  This new bright style seems somewhat simple again without a lot of detail so episodes can be put out quickly.  This is Disney too - they animate for a living.  I just don't get it.  

The animation is being done by Polygon Pictures. It's in the same style as their other works.

edit: 

Edited by svelok

I was really looking forward to an anime-styled show but this is all a little too obviously being driven by computers (which of course they had to do for time/cost reasons) and it looks a bit too smooth and well-animated to be anime, if that makes sense.

Agree that the colours were a bit too in your face.  Maybe I'm getting old.

20 minutes ago, KnightHammer said:

What are the ships at 42 seconds, i tried putting up a pic but it did not want to attach them lol

The red one looks like the old r-41 starchaser 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/R-41_Starchaser

Also, I did post this in the Star Wars: Resistance thread too.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

1 hour ago, dadocollin said:

One other note - this says Disney Channel, not Disney XD.  I wonder if this will run on the main channel unlike Rebels.  Many of the announcements said XD a few months ago.  The promo might just not be differentiating.

It takes a lot to make a movie, television show, or animated show.   

Remembef the teams working on Rebels, Clone Wars, Resistance are VERY small.  Having realistic animation requires more animators/artists, and if not done right leads to uncanny valley.   Stylized bypasses this and allows for easier animation - don't have to be too worried about perfect clothing seams or anatomy.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

16 minutes ago, SOTL said:

I was really looking forward to an anime-styled show but this is all a little too obviously being driven by computers (which of course they had to do for time/cost reasons) and it looks a bit too smooth and well-animated to be anime, if that makes sense.

Agree that the colours were a bit too in your face.  Maybe I'm getting old.

you realize that all animation is done on computers now? the last time hand animation was used as a common thing was in the early 90's. nowadays it is just a gimmick at best, mostly used for short stories. heck, even in the 90's they were using computers for assembly, they hadn't use analog systems for combining the cells since the 80's. all animation is created and assembled on computers now. it is just that in the last decade the tech has gotten better (in large parts due to just more powerful computers becoming affordable) so they can do more detailed 3D models instead of replicating the layered 2D of the old hand drawn days, and have said 3D models move in more convincing ways.

and the colors appear selected to replicate the old style animation from the hand drawn days, in a method called Cell shading.. which allows 3D models to replicate the look and feel of the the old 2D styles. the brighter colors are also known to be more attractive to younger audiences. it is worth remembering they aren't making this show for us 30+ year old grognards, but for the teens and preteens.

Edited by mithril2098

12 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

It takes a lot to make a movie, television show, or animated show.   

Remembef the teams working on Rebels, Clone Wars, Resistance are VERY small.  Having realistic animation requires more animators/artists, and if not done right leads to uncanny valley.   Stylized bypasses this and allows for easier animation - don't have to be too worries about perfect clothing seams or anatomy.

I completely get it.  I watch a lot of cartoons and anime, both adult and kids.  I have small children, an older child, and enjoy cartoons myself.  The animation in Clone Wars got better as it went along somewhat.  I never liked the style in Rebels.  This seems like equally as bad in a different way.  Disney is a huge company and Star Wars is one of their largest properties.  I get that they are trying to make money for as cheap as possible, but there are kids cartoons made for way less that are better animated.  I think they were just going for a style here that worked well in Transformers (made by the same company Polygon) when most of the characters were stylized robots.  I don't think it works well with human and humanoid faces.

Edited by dadocollin

When I first saw Sabine in Star Wars Rebels, I was underwhelmed, thinking that graffiti mandalorian was not something that should realistically be there.  How they evolved the character afterwards was what made the show interesting.

I'll give this show a try as well and maybe I will be pleasantly surprised, or not.  It's not because it has a Star Wars stamp on it that I have to necessarily buy it right?

*Looks at his traumatized wallet*

Right?

26 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Odd, because I felt like all the effects were kind of soft and a bit pastel.

To me, it has a very Speed Racer tone.  Especially the teal and orange ship.

Good analogy, speed racer.  Lol

i wasn’t happy with Rebels or Clone Wars animation both their first seasons.  Thankfully, both got better. (Or I just accepted it. ?

8 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Star Wars is a gritty/dark universe.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait... were you serious?

Edited by WAC47
Grrr... I remember reading a great article about how Star Wars countered the 70s trend of dark and gritty science fiction and ushered in the optimism of the 80s, but I can't find it now.

Adding to the not impressed pile but as others have said, this is a show for kids. This is to sell toys and plushies. I have 0 faith in any kind of good story. It’ll be stupid jokes and ships going zoom zoom.

It reminds me of the Voltron reboot on netflix. Hate that cartoon and will likely hate this. Now the 2 @svelok mention, knights and blame are pretty cool.