random.brown

No Primal Curses?

Yep, some communities can live in a "tribal way of life" but have a faith in some pantheon or something like this, making possible to use Divine magic in these situations.

Edited by Bellyon

"Voodoo" would probably be Arcana, as it's basically a Hollywood version of a real-world religion called Vodou. The religion as practiced in Haiti (and by Haitians worldwide) is much more akin to Divine magic in that you are placating and appealing to divine spirits and divinities for aid. In an anthropological or sociological sense, the distinction between Primal and Divine magic is a judgement call, of course. Calling what a shaman does "primal" and what a priest does "divine" doesn't really accord with real-world practices in a lot of instances.

I have to agree that voodoo and shamanistic magic falls under divine, though it may have some primal elements. But I also see the inability for Primal to use Curse as a problem.  Think about a more specific example: Morrigan from Dragon Age. She and her mother Flemeth claimed not to believe in any gods, did not study in some mage’s school, and drew their power from magic naturally (Primal). A lot of Morrigan’s magic is focused on hexing (cursing). I could imagine plenty of other examples where using the power of nature’s darker elements (darkness, disease/sickness/pestilence, etc.) to debuff makes a lot of sense. I assume there’s a way around this by using one of the other magic actions to create the same effect...

It goes without saying that the other side of this coin is that Augment, the mirror of Curse *is* available to Primal users...but not Arcana. Why wouldn’t a studied mage be able to create spells to buff (Augment), but they can Curse? I feel like if it makes sense in your setting, change these rules up a bit. 

Edited by dfrost303