Biophysical

Rexler Brath: A Man for All Seasons

I think brath's the second edition man

Defenders are stupid pricey, and he's the least so considering his I 5 and very significant ability (crits in 2nd edition are some super swingy bull) 

Now, personally don't see why anyoned run him without juke (high I, free evade, ability etc.) so I'd imagine that's a safe shoo-in. Probably all he needs really, just like the TIE phantoms

I'm not super sold on the customizability of the defender. 1st Ed already proved the value of a fast, relatively efficient dogfighting machine and I expect that to continue into 2nd Ed considering their cost

Considering how adv sensors don't play nice with full throttle, I think cool detectors ? are the automatic system slot inclusion (assuming you take any). Full throttle and the white 4k are fantastic, but a little clunky around densely packed obstacles...unless you've got that handy upgrade! 

Plus boost/roll etc 

Just now, Biophysical said:

You kids with your new-fangled Defender and your double tap.  In my day we got one attack and liked it.

The Defender needs increased firepower to represent what it is. You may betray our beloved Defender, and accept this facsimile we've been given, but my heart is true, and I could never do that. 

1 minute ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

It’s less effective, but Daredevil/ advanced sensors is a blast. A sudden right turn/5-straight after a swarm decides to try and gank Rexler early is pretty hilarious.

That's what a got me torn up on sensor slots.  AS has great maneuverability with it (even more so with Daredevil),  but the ship is so expensive that any turn it runs, or even attacks with reduced efficiency, is a win for the opponent.  Part of me wants to say "Advanced Sensors!  Go anywhere!  No Consequences!"  The old Defender player in me is like "Just dial the right move and kick the tar out of them".

50 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Rexler Brath was in the very first squad I ever took to a tournament, which was the very first game of X-wing I had played against another person.  He was also in the squad I won acrylic templates with at the Regional level, and has been a part of both squads that I've used to earn Regionals dice.  My first ever Gencon, I went 5-1 in Swiss with a Rexler Brath squad.

“What I’m saying without being boastful in any way, is that I would wreck you. Bad.”

Need to take more time to read this and actually respond rationally but on bullseye...

I find if I chase it I force myself into dumb moves for no reason. But if i just let it happen naturally it happens often enough without a ton of effort or skill involved. Basically forcing bullseyes can put you closer to stuff than you want to be. Its not hard to line up but its also not necessarily an indication of a correct choice if that makes sense.

Even still predator is easily one of my favorite talents at just 2 pts and helps so so so many ships and i still cant believe HLC is just 4 pts!!

Bio, with the current pool of pilots and upgrades, do you see Vessery's ability as being worth 10 points?  The loss of double tap, the loss of locking wingmen, , the increased cost of the chassis, and the gain of FCS seem to all drastically reduce the value of his ability.  Personally I just don't see when I would take Vessery over Brath at the current time.

3 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Bio, with the current pool of pilots and upgrades, do you see Vessery's ability as being worth 10 points?  The loss of double tap, the loss of locking wingmen, , the increased cost of the chassis, and the gain of FCS seem to all drastically reduce the value of his ability.  Personally I just don't see when I would take Vessery over Brath at the current time.

I don't know.  With the big 2.0 FCS nerf you have to work just a bit for his ability.  On the other hand,  double modded shots are rarer these days.  Then again, there's not a big gun that he's powering either.  Onyx with FCS/Juke/Homing seems better for 88 points than naked Vessery.

28 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Yeah. I think Brath and Ryad are the pilots we need to take. Brath is due to his relatively low cost, Ryad, because she is bonkers still. Vessery needs a double tap. 

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

Need to take more time to read this and actually respond rationally but on bullseye...

I find if I chase it I force myself into dumb moves for no reason. But if i just let it happen naturally it happens often enough without a ton of effort or skill involved. Basically forcing bullseyes can put you closer to stuff than you want to be. Its not hard to line up but its also not necessarily an indication of a correct choice if that makes sense.

Even still predator is easily one of my favorite talents at just 2 pts and helps so so so many ships and i still cant believe HLC is just 4 pts!!

Yeah, I'm not sure if the HLC more rewards good play or punishes suboptimal play by opponenents.  At the least, it's just one more thing for your opponent to worry about. I don't have enough experience with it yet (or I'm just not smart enough) to reliably engineer intentional bullseye shots.  4 points, though, it doesn't have to be that great.

The hero we have, but the hero we don't deserve. Now am I talking about Rexler or the OP?  You tell me. I played Rexler the other day and the only thing that really scared me was Vermeil + Vader getting behind me. Otherwise bad boy Brath was a hoot to fly.

5 minutes ago, player2422845 said:

So true

Until I tried x7 riad

She is better at annoying my opponent than Portman is at portraying Padme

Ryad is fun and all, but to me offensive power is just more fun than Defensive. Especially in the latter days of 1.0, when even with a focus evade and 3 green dice, you only lasted for 2 rounds of shooting. 

I flew her with TIE/D as well. I once put an opponent back to the same rock 3 rounds in a row. Good times. 

17 minutes ago, Commander Kaine said:

@Mattman7306 shove your reactions down the garbage chute. 

What objectionable thing could you possibly find with my preference for the TIE/D? 

I personally have found the 2.0 defender to be perfectly capable without double tap, and fear it might be oppressive with it and x/7 active.