GreenDragoon

[2.0] Whisper, Soontir and Ordnance

My first 2.0 game with the following list was very fun, but I also realized that some parts do not fit.

"Whisper" (52) Juke (4)Fire-Control System (3)Director Krennic (5)

Soontir Fel (52) Lone Wolf (4)Afterburners (8)Stealth Device (*)

"Pure Sabacc" (44) Juke (4)Fifth Brother (12)

Total: 196,View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Whisper herself is great. I did not have the actions to move the TL, so Krennic was worthless. But I've also played some 1.0 Whisper with advanced sensors, so that's what I want to try next here. Points remain the same.
Soontir is awesome! Lonewolf is fine as it is, though I ran into the trap of using it offensively while forgetting that this was my only charge of the round. Afterburners is good enough, even with just two charges: 4straight + focus + br + boost is great to catch up or run away. 10/10, will play again like this.
Sabacc did not pull his weight. I need something to reroll blanks, and changing just one focus result is not worth 12 points for me - even if it is stress-free. He will be replaced entirely. I got some good suggestions on how to keep a striker (Duchess; Vader on Whisper), but I want to replace Sabacc.

I thought about a replacement ship and feel like TIE advanced or advanced prototype won't fit well either. At the same time I heard great things about Punishers. But I do not get them as much as aces. I have some good experience with 1.0 Gunboats but not at all with bombs.

Given these constraints, what <64pt ship would you add? How would you change these suggestions?

1. A Gunboat

Why: I'm very familiar with the ship and it barely changed from 1.0 to 2.0. The change in reload does not matter to me. Plus now I can take FCS for a sweet reroll without spending the TL.

Major Vynder (Total: 59)
Saturation Salvo (6)
Fire-Control System (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

He can reroll 1 red and 1 green die. He has troubles getting a TL and a focus, which means he might be better with Homings and something else than Proton Torp. There are 5 free points. They could go on other missiles (Homing, Ion or Cluster) or a Mod, where Advanced SLAM looks like a solid choice.

2. A Punisher with Bombs

Why: Trajectory Simulator + Bomb is clearly effective, proven by Nym, BSF and Ten Numb.

"Deathrain" (42)
Trajectory Simulator (3)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
Proton Bombs (5)
Ablative Plating (4)

Deathrain looks like the clear choice. He can take another action after launching, allowing him to fire the Proton with Focus+TL. Ablative plating seems like good value at 4pt for 2HP. It's close at 63pt, but on the other hand fits perfectly.

3. A Punisher without Bombs

Why: Punisher might simply be enough oomph for the points. A better gunboat so to speak.

"Redline" (44)
Advanced Sensors (8)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

Redline is the choice here, as it allows more flexibility with targeting and can also get Focus+TL. I'm not so sure about advanced sensors yes, I will have to try. The alternative of FCS seems reasonable, too, even though less so on Redline due to the ability. The 61pt with advanced sensors mean I get a nice initiative bid. Or I can add something. Munition failsafe seems like a waste of points due to the double mods. And anyway, there's a second charge AND I can reload later. With FCS I get either an 8pt bid, or can add almost anything like barrage rockets or prockets.

So which addition would you prefer, and how would you change the builds?

Edited by GreenDragoon

I prefer adv. sensors over krennic on whisper. More flexibility, more fun. 

If you asked me I’d go for redline. He’s I5 and hit pretty hard with his torps. Instead of adv. sensors I’d take proton bombs with trajectory sim. to build up more threat. In that case your bid is just 1pt. Don’t know if you want a better one. 

On 8/17/2018 at 7:54 AM, Ryuneke said:

I prefer adv. sensors over krennic on whisper. More flexibility, more fun. 

If you asked me I’d go for redline. He’s I5 and hit pretty hard with his torps. Instead of adv. sensors I’d take proton bombs with trajectory sim. to build up more threat. In that case your bid is just 1pt. Don’t know if you want a better one. 

Yep, Krennic on Whisper is gone.

And I agree, Redline sounds like a good idea. Traj+Protonbombs is what I will try first.

Newest iteration:

Soontir Fel (56)
Lone Wolf (4)

"Whisper" (78)
Juke (4)
Advanced Sensors (8)
Darth Vader (14)

"Redline" (61)
Advanced Sensors (8)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

Total: 195

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Slim Soontir, phat Whisper, and I can't decide on Redline. AdvS+ProtonTorps is nice. And I don't want to give a punisher that's too costly tbh.

Whisper is set. What about two Interceptors/Strikers instead of Redline+LW? Is that something to consider? Or removing upgrades from Soontir and give Redline full bombs incl ablative plating?

I played your list today at a casual game day. Whisper did a lot of work for me. Soontir was alright. Totally misplayed Redline. 

I'm a very new player but it was a fun list! Looking forward to give it another go.

On 9/5/2018 at 6:01 AM, GreenDragoon said:

Newest iteration:

Soontir Fel (56)
Lone Wolf (4)

"Whisper" (78)
Juke (4)
Advanced Sensors (8)
Darth Vader (14)

"Redline" (61)
Advanced Sensors (8)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

Total: 195

Slim Soontir, phat Whisper, and I can't decide on Redline. AdvS+ProtonTorps is nice. And I don't want to give a punisher that's too costly tbh.

Whisper is set. What about two Interceptors/Strikers instead of Redline+LW? Is that something to consider? Or removing upgrades from Soontir and give Redline full bombs incl ablative plating?

Whats the benefit of redline over Vynder other than I5? I think since you have high ps covered with soonts and whisp, vynder can stay alive and perform better vs smaller initiative ships thanks to 3 green dice and slam.

Soontir Fel (52)
Lone Wolf (4)

"Whisper" (52)
Juke (4)
Advanced Sensors (8)
Darth Vader (14)

Major Vynder (41)
Predator (2)
Fire-Control System (3)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Total: 192

4 hours ago, wurms said:

Whats the benefit of redline over Vynder other than I5? I think since you have high ps covered with soonts and whisp, vynder can stay alive and perform better vs smaller initiative ships thanks to 3 green dice and slam.

You are right that Vynder is another strong contender (see the first post of the thread from a month ago, though the loadout by me was still quite bad).

The thought behind Redline is also that I will be able to adjust AdvS into TrajSim+Protonbombs if it becomes necessary. I have more troubles with medium base than I thought, partially because I barely ever played large bases and now that is a severe disadvantage. Starting with Redline now allows me to tweak the list a little if I need to consider swarms more than the list currently does - or so I hope.

As side note, I'd likely use an ion cannon on Vynder by now. Maybe reducing the ini bid, but probably removing Predator.

I'd recommend reconsidering the Striker, but bring in Countdown -- as with any Striker, they aren't overly easy to catch, and, as long as you don't get focused down, Countdown will stay for a WHILE (especially with a Hull Upgrade). He turns into a bit of a tank/distraction. If ignored, however, he still gets to chuck some dice and make folks regret it.

Edited by ArbitraryNerd