Sign in to follow this  
Wandalf the Gizzard

Withered Heath available now!

Finished it.  Fun quest.  Like Redhorn... not feelin’ It.  More like the King’s Quest.  I’m reluctant to rate the difficulty since I only played solo and there are some player count scaling effects, but I felt it was in line with the first three.  I was playing Noldor and Glory (ally) died and came back four times.

4 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Finished it.  Fun quest.  Like Redhorn... not feelin’ It.  More like the King’s Quest.  I’m reluctant to rate the difficulty since I only played solo and there are some player count scaling effects, but I felt it was in line with the first three.  I was playing Noldor and Glory (ally) died and came back four times.

I was playing Noldor too, paired with Dunedain. By stage 3 it was a serious slog. Questing for 30, 4 characters who could defend for 6 each, and 4 characters who could attack for 25 combined. I just wanted that Dragon to come out so I could kill it already.

10 hours ago, Network57 said:

I was playing Noldor too, paired with Dunedain. By stage 3 it was a serious slog. Questing for 30, 4 characters who could defend for 6 each, and 4 characters who could attack for 25 combined. I just wanted that Dragon to come out so I could kill it already.

Wow powerful board you had out!

1 hour ago, Ywingscum said:

Wow powerful board you had out!

Spirit Noldor can drop a ton of allies and generate huge card draw, and Leadership/Tactics Dunedain has very durable allies. Also, Redwater Sentry + Vigilant Guard + Hauberk of Mail + Raiment of War is OP.

1 minute ago, Bullroarer Took said:

After a couple of solo quests I’m not sure slog is the right word.  It is a longer quest, and maybe I’ve been getting lucky with the caves deck, but I wouldn’t characterize it as a slog.  (Which to me implies drudgery.)

If you know you're going to massively overquest and can defend and defeat 3enemies a turn, it's just a matter of drudging until the Caves deck spits out the last Sign you need. At no point did I feel uncertain of victory and I even gave up adding my willpower because 25+ is always greater than the 5 threat added during staging.

It's not a knock against the quest. It's fun, although I do think it's an unnecessarily long one in having to fight the Dragon twice, with his damage cap. But these two decks got set up so well that I was acutely aware that there were 4 quest stages.

I had a similar experience. Once you're set up, you can feel reasonably confident that you'll win. But you don't get to just smash through the quest at that point, you have to wait for the quest to give you victory in little drips.

It's not a terrible quest, but it does sort of outlast the fun in my opinion.

Just started the cycle and I have to say i really enjoyed this quest solo, it is a longer one than most and it may be i just had a nicely balanced deck to play against it but i loved the theme of hunting the dragon through various caves and then holding my breath as the allies died one by one when the ice dragon was finally cornered. My latest game i went through my whole 50 card play deck (that never happens) and ended with 1 card left in my hand and a threat of 48, all my allies were killed, but the three heroes surviving (Gandalf, Legolas, Eowyn) finally brought down the drake. It did not help having to spend ages finding the clues and having the dragon fully healed again before i cornered him for the 2nd time, but i was not after a quick game and this was great fun.

I do like quests with a story and with the weather and cave hunting this one really has got it for me > http://crusadersgames.co.uk/board-games/lord-of-the-rings-lcg/