Sign in to follow this  
WickedGrey

Conversion kits don't have shield tokens?

On 8/16/2018 at 1:22 AM, GreenDragoon said:

and I don't even know if that's possible to have 2x R2 and 1x R2D2 with just core+conversion?

You can actually fly 3 R2s and an R2D2 with just core + conversion. Core comes with R2D2 and an R2, conversion has 2 more R2s. So yeah, that would be an issue if you want to fly quad regen Y-Wings or similar

16 hours ago, WickedGrey said:

The new core set has new rocks (both kinds), so I presume that the old rocks are no longer valid.

This is incorrect. The devs have repeatedly stated that all (non-epic) obstacles ever issued will still be tournament legal. They include some in the new core set simply because new players will need them. Also of note: the ones in the core set are reissues of previously released obstacles (they called it a sort of "greatest hits" collection).

3 hours ago, jpltanis said:

A cheaper solution is to buy a red sharpie and put a "X" on one side of your old shield tokens OR you can color in the blue parts with red.  Problem solved.

Not neat enough for us OCD types.

18 minutes ago, Gberezowsky said:

Use a sticker. 

I usually bring the players I have defeated to use as tokens. Very intimidating, but only practical for bigger tournaments. 

doesn't that take up a lot of table space?

That's disappointing but not insurmountable. I already color the edges of blue, red, and green cardboard tokens with paint pens; if I feel the need to adopt the "flip" mechanic of expended tokens I can just color one side of the shield tokens with a transparent red marker.

I promised to share when I heard back, so here's your official answer:

Zach (Asmodee North America)

Aug 21, 09:56 CDT

Hello!

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry.  We suggest that you purchase the X-Wing Core set as there are a few tokens, rulers, and the damage deck that is not included with the conversion kit.  If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us again!

Thanks!

So, yeah, if you are a stickler for having "official" tokens you'll be buying a new core (which you needed to anyway if you are a "stickler") and then either fly shieldless ship or buy a couple conversion packs. I'll be honest, I'm a little surprised by that answer, but not really shocked. I believe it was an oversight, but I can only imagine the logistics and costs involved to remedy it.

Just an fyi on shield tokens. I'm going to try the Tamiaya clear red paint on one side of the existing shield tokens to see if gives a good enough look to use for second addition. it should! cheap way to have a ton of second addition shield tokens.

4 hours ago, EastCoast said:

I promised to share when I heard back, so here's your official answer:

So, yeah, if you are a stickler for having "official" tokens you'll be buying a new core (which you needed to anyway if you are a "stickler") and then either fly shieldless ship or buy a couple conversion packs. I'll be honest, I'm a little surprised by that answer, but not really shocked. I believe it was an oversight, but I can only imagine the logistics and costs involved to remedy it.

The only issue with that official advice: As the OP says, there are only 4 shield tokens in the Core Set. It's trivial for any faction (even the Empire) to exceed 4 shield tokens in any list. And if you use the Quick Build Cards, even all of the regular TIE/ln's are using shields.

It's a short term issue though. Just about any of the expansion packs will provide more shield tokens (Lando's Falcon comes with 5, for example). So unless the core set and the conversion kits are the only thing a player buys, it'll only be a wave or two until they are swimming in shield tokens again.

Edited by Nspace

If you're coming into 2.0 as a seasoned X-Wing player, you have more shield tokens already than you'll ever need. If you're brand new to X-Wing you're not buying conversion kits and you'll end up with more shield tokens than you'll ever need through buying core sets and expansions. This isn't really an issue no matter how you're coming into 2.0.