Sign in to follow this  
WickedGrey

Conversion kits don't have shield tokens?

So the conversion kits don't seem to have shield tokens, and the 2e core set only has 4. The conversion kit lists out which parts we are supposed to re-use from 1e, and shield tokens aren't on the list.

Is this an oversight, or am I missing something?  (And yes, I realize that using 1e shield tokens is a trivial fix, it just seems odd given how explicit they were about reusing bombs and mines and such)

While it sounds pretty bad, I'd like to remind everyone that this is only a problem if you never by another expansion.
I have bags full of shields and other tokens that I can not use in any form. I think almost everyone with more than a coreset is the same. And it will happen again in 2.0.

So, if you do not plan to buy any expansion again, then yes, it is slightly annoying. But FFG will definitely provide some incentives to buy more expansions. And I will definitely buy some and have too many shields.

Edited by GreenDragoon
coreset. I don't care about your corset...

5 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

While it sounds pretty bad, I'd like to remind everyone that this is only a problem if you never by another expansion.
I have bags full of shields and other tokens that I can not use in any form. I think almost everyone with more than a corset is the same. And it will happen again in 2.0.

So, if you do not plan to buy any expansion again, then yes, it is slightly annoying. But FFG will definitely provide some incentives to buy more expansions. And I will definitely buy some and have too many shields.

Yeah, it's a minor issue. I mean, personally, I plan on replacing all 3 of my Red Squadron X-Wings (one from the core, 2 stand alone expansions) and one new Y-Wing so I should have plenty of tokens to start off with... and thanks to playing a lot of epic last summer, I bought a TON of acrylic shield tokens, so I may end up using those into 2.0 as regen will be far less of a thing in 2.0, I don't fully see the need to flip a shield token instead of just removing it from the play area.

Just now, Kehl_Aecea said:

I don't fully see the need to flip a shield token instead of just removing it from the play area.

Yep, that's another good point. You only really need the flip tokens if you have regen. And even then only up to your max amount possible. So e.g. 2 R2 astromechs? No problem, put 2 flip shields on each carrier. Only using R2D2? Also not a problem. Using all 3? Now you have  a problem - if you didn't get any additional expansions (and I don't even know if that's possible to have 2x R2 and 1x R2D2 with just core+conversion?)

Just one additional expansion and you can very likely give enough flip shield tokens to ships who can regen. And the others don't matter in any way.

Finally, let's not forget the most important point:

ade8a174638e02fba08325d7ce76e004.jpg

Obviously this is very minor... and obviously FFG wants players to buy the single expansions...

Still, it feels weird that if a player has a massive 1.0 collection and doesn't intend to buy the new single expansions, just the necessary new Core set and Conversion kits, then that player will have plenty of all the new updated 2.0 tokens, except only 3 Evade tokens and 4 Shield tokens.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:26 AM, Stoneface said:

If you want or need to flip shields just hit an office supply store and pick up a package of colored dots. Put some red dots on one side of the cardboard shields everyone has lounging around somewhere and Bingo, flippable shield tokens. No problem!

Except for all those people who have already burnt all their 1.0 stuff in an orgy of pyromanic battlelust.

Edited by Darth Meanie

The conversion kits are not a complete game and require a 2.0 core set to be used. Shields come in the core set, and in subsequent expansions.

That being said, the cores don't come with a lot of shields since they have TIE Fighters in them. It's unfortunate, but the conversions also don't contain content from new releases such as Lando's Falcon or the Mining Guild TIE so we'll all likely be getting more than enough of the things eventually. 

4 hours ago, spacebug said:

What were the rules about bombs and mines?  And how about asteroids/debris?

The new core set has new rocks (both kinds), so I presume that the old rocks are no longer valid.

The bomb and mine tokens from 1e need to get ported forward, so don't toss those.

And for the record, I'm not outraged (or even miffed; I've got acrylic that I'm using anyway). I just expected to get a pile of tokens in the conversion kit, and was surprised when I didn't.

Also, PSA for anyone reading, the conversion kits should all have a separate little baggie for the relevant wave 1 ship cards, but many of the kits seem to be missing the baggie. Check your kits vs. the content listing on the wiki (and note that the content list in the kit does *not* list the baggie cards!) and request it from FFG if it's missing.

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Except for all those people who have already burnt all their 1.0 stuff in an orgy of pyromaniac battlelust.

While I admire their commitment to 2e it was just foolish. If 2e tanks I'll still be able to play 1e. They will be stuck with whatever components from 2e that were released.

During the unboxing process of the conversion kits I really started to feel like they started with an idea of what they wanted in the kit but also had a limited amount of cardboard/cards to print on and then cut things they thought they could get away with the most from there.  It would explain why certain ships don't come with as many generic pilots as you would expect to match their dials, and so few new tokens as well.

I've been coloring one side of my shield tokens red so they can be flipped over like the new ones, it will work until I get enough new tokens somehow.  I could really go for some more new target lock tokens though

Edited by Effenhoog

As much as I admire everyone's commitment to proactively blame any customers who may be dismayed to find out the conversion kits do not completely fulfill their intended purpose,  I have sent the following request into customer service:

Hello there. I am interested in converting my X-Wing 1.0 collection to X-Wing 2.0 via your conversion kits.

It appears the conversion kits do not contain the flippable shield tokens new to the 2.0 system.

While I can certainly doctor existing tokens will FFG/Asmodee be providing tokens to customers that request them?

Thanks so much for your time.

If I receive a response back, I will post it here.  In my experience FFG/ANA has extremely high customer satisfaction standards, I think if a supply of tokens exists (or can be gotten), they will provide them on request.

On 8/16/2018 at 6:26 AM, Stoneface said:

If you want or need to flip shields just hit an office supply store and pick up a package of colored dots. Put some red dots on one side of the cardboard shields everyone has lounging around somewhere and Bingo, flippable shield tokens. No problem!

A cheaper solution is to buy a red sharpie and put a "X" on one side of your old shield tokens OR you can color in the blue parts with red.  Problem solved.