Jello Knight

The Day Twitter Broke X-Wing

8 minutes ago, Polaritie said:

I mean, yeah, errata incoming. I think the possible errata are either:

1) Allow own deployment zone

2) Ignore other Boba ships

These are solid.  I think the errata needs to state that you must simply be beyond range 3 of enemy ships in their respective deployment zones.  Or simply offer the fail condition - if you cannot, then deploy as usual. 

Always fun when these things slip past design and playtest.

card should have absolutely read to allow you to place in your deployment zone as well, or to ignore all ships outside of the deployment zone for the effect.

Everything goes exactly as I thought it would. New edition fix nothing, quite the contrary, it brings new set of problems. Death of list juggler, end of interesting potent card combinations, app requirement, boring starting meta (forget about aces, 3 ships or 2 ships list - ship spamming will be the most potent combo, unfortunately X-Wing works worse when too much ships are on the board). Now you can add badly tested cards that broke the game. And don't even get me started about one of the most idiotic and toxic card mechanics in the game - because it unfortunately stays with us in 2.0 (I'll Show You The Dark Side).

1 hour ago, Jello Knight said:

Boba (Crew) is broken in X-Wing Second Edition.  I don’t mean that he’s amazingly good.  I mean that he makes the game stop working...

PDF Article

xwing_miniatures_2nd_edition.exe has stopped working.

Edited by AwesomeJedi

33 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

I don’t get the thread title. How did twitter break xwing? Looks to me boba fett broke xwing, though a case can be made that ffg broke xwing ? Hilarious oversight in playtesting though. No one saw this in the many months they claim people road tested 2.0? 

An official Twitter vote made it so that Boba is going to be Scums' obligatory card to use during the Coruscant tournament. Scenario that was reasonably unlikely to ever see table time now is unavoidable. 

Also, let's be fair here: we've all had this card spoiled for about a month now and it's only today this pops out. Theorycrafting by the whole of our community took weeks to figure out this loophole. In man-days, that's probably waaay more time than any behind-the-curtain testing FFG has committed.

Edited by ryfterek

Wow, that's... yeah... that's an oopsie, but one that's easily missed. I mean, that's a pretty specific scenario and like was mentioned before, probably would've taken MUCH much longer to crop up in internal play testing. At least with everything being online, they can attach an errata note when applying that card to a list. So, you plop Boba on your list, a little asterisk or a full on pop up window snaps up and says "in the event you cannot place your ship at range 3 on an obstacle, do X" X being whatever the solution is. Same thing could be added to the full online rule book and where they have the Scum PDF.

2 hours ago, Embir82 said:

Everything goes exactly as I thought it would. New edition fix nothing, quite the contrary, it brings new set of problems. Death of list juggler, end of interesting potent card combinations, app requirement, boring starting meta (forget about aces, 3 ships or 2 ships list - ship spamming will be the most potent combo, unfortunately X-Wing works worse when too much ships are on the board). Now you can add badly tested cards that broke the game. And don't even get me started about one of the most idiotic and toxic card mechanics in the game - because it unfortunately stays with us in 2.0 (I'll Show You The Dark Side).

Basically, yes.

Thanks for showing that issue.

In V1, if there was this kind of problem in the rules, the player had to talk and fix it, dice could be rolled if they were not agree.

Talk. TALK! There will be other loopholes to be fixed.

But what does Twitter? The problem exists whether or not Bob is compulsory. Twitter broke nothing.

The game simply just stalls until time runs out and then it is final salvo without the ship placed, meaning a god bid should allow you to engineer a win against another scum list at the event.

Edited by Sciencius

6 hours ago, Embir82 said:

Boba is only a huge issue when one faction is forced to use him, on most game nights the odds of this occurring are minuscule. 

Also, have you seen all the pilot crits now? None of them are devastating 

9 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

This requires a fairly specific obstacle setup, doesn't it?  Is there any particular reason players would place their obstacles like that other than specifically to do this?  In that case it's kind of their own, stupid fault.

Not really. As stated in the article, the only obstacle placements that matter are the 1st and 3rd. 

That can set the the whole thing off. 

I'm not worried about this at all, but I just want to pause and appreciate the person who so clearly laid out the case with pictures and descriptions, and who drew logical conclusion without wild hyperbole and/or nerd rage.

Well done.  10/10 for effective communication.  I had to double-check that I was still on the forums.