Jello Knight

The Day Twitter Broke X-Wing

Remind me a lot of this : 
t6oCXhEh.jpg
the easiest fix would probably to make Boba (crew) optional to use at deployment, so if you get short-changed because the opponent had a bigger bid, you can still just deploy him normaly. That way any list with boba doesn't become a massive race to the biggest bid ever.

7 minutes ago, DarthSempai said:

Remind me a lot of this : 
t6oCXhEh.jpg
the easiest fix would probably to make Boba (crew) optional to use at deployment, so if you get short-changed because the opponent had a bigger bid, you can still just deploy him normaly. That way any list with boba doesn't become a massive race to the biggest bid ever.

So, what's going in there? Frin the context, I get that the smug crouching player has gamed the system somehow, and that his opponent and the judge are reviewing the rules for SOMETHING.

4 minutes ago, Yakostovian said:

So, what's going in there? Frin the context, I get that the smug crouching player has gamed the system somehow, and that his opponent and the judge are reviewing the rules for SOMETHING.

Also, what game is that?

1 minute ago, Yakostovian said:

basically in a past edition of 40k, one list that happen to be very strong in tournament was an everyone-kept-in-reserve, all-infiltrating space marine list. All of your list came in that players turn 1, basically negating the alpha strike of the opponent (In a IGoYGo system, this was really strong). In pic related, the space marine player decided to keep all his army in reserve (this is a choice he made, he could have also deployed normally.)
So this magnificient mastermind Tau player realised he could bring a conga line of 30+ kroot that had infiltrate. They could deploy outside their deployment zone, but not closer that 12" from an enemy unit. Since there was no enemy unit, they could deploy right into the opponent's zone. So, when the Space Marine players turns come, he has to deploy his units within 6" of his own table edge, but not within a certain distance of any enemy unit. He can't, so all his army is counted as destroy. The Tau player got the win, and a stern warning not to do this again.

Basically, it was fighting fire with fire. The SM list was an optional gimmic, but the player opted to put all his egg in one basket. The Tau player happen to have enough unit with the Infiltrating special rule to completely counter this. 

His smug smile is really what sells it for me.

Technically, couldn't you counter this by bringing Tobias Beckett, and then move the obstacle from the center of the map to somewhere else? That would make it so there wouldn't be a way to block off all the other obstacles for your Boba Fett's deployment.

Even if they bring their own Beckett, this should still work, because the setup would require the same person to have first Boba Fett placement, but second use of Beckett, which isn't going to be the case (it's either first for both, or second for both, right?)

I mean, it's still a problem with the rules that should get fixed, but at least it's possible to counter it.

5 hours ago, Slugrage said:

You must be fun at parties.

I like how your post got zero substance but is just ad personam attack. I get it, you are fanboy and will love everything that FFG will ever put out with no regard to quality.

17 hours ago, Embir82 said:

Everything goes exactly as I thought it would. New edition fix nothing, quite the contrary, it brings new set of problems. Death of list juggler, end of interesting potent card combinations, app requirement, boring starting meta (forget about aces, 3 ships or 2 ships list - ship spamming will be the most potent combo, unfortunately X-Wing works worse when too much ships are on the board). Now you can add badly tested cards that broke the game. And don't even get me started about one of the most idiotic and toxic card mechanics in the game - because it unfortunately stays with us in 2.0 (I'll Show You The Dark Side).

I disagree with everything in this post. 

4 hours ago, Freeptop said:

Technically, couldn't you counter this by bringing Tobias Beckett, and then move the obstacle from the center of the map to somewhere else? That would make it so there wouldn't be a way to block off all the other obstacles for your Boba Fett's deployment.

Even if they bring their own Beckett, this should still work, because the setup would require the same person to have first Boba Fett placement, but second use of Beckett, which isn't going to be the case (it's either first for both, or second for both, right?)

I mean, it's still a problem with the rules that should get fixed, but at least it's possible to counter it.

I agree that Tobias is the obvious counter to prevent the setup lockout, especially since he can't be counter-countered.

Just now, nitrobenz said:

I agree that Tobias is the obvious counter to prevent the setup lockout, especially since he can't be counter-countered.

Tobias can counter Tobias. Nothing precludes 2 opposing Scum players from both taking him and Boba in a squad. Tobias + an otherwise bare Jakku Gunrunner is only 30pts.

14 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Tobias can counter Tobias. Nothing precludes 2 opposing Scum players from both taking him and Boba in a squad. Tobias + an otherwise bare Jakku Gunrunner is only 30pts.

But player 1 cannot create the lockout condition because player 2 will always be able to move the center rock before player 1 puts a ship on it.

edit: this is assuming the two players haven't also stumbled into some approximation of the 'no room for the sixth rock' condition; incidentally I don't think that game-breaking condition has ever been officially addressed either.

Edited by nitrobenz
Addition

I think I may have something with the new scum crew card.

image.png.711101473d80f154892065f0d9a3d1d7.png

You can use Beckett right AFTER the place forces step. the Boba card says it starts at the END of the Setup stage. This should mean that Beckett can be used before either you or your scummy opponent can place either one of your ships. 

15 minutes ago, BDrafty said:

I think I may have something with the new scum crew card.

You can use Beckett right AFTER the place forces step. the Boba card says it starts at the END of the Setup stage. This should mean that Beckett can be used before either you or your scummy opponent can place either one of your ships. 

While a nice catch, scroll up a bit. Tobias's contribution to this has been gone over. :) Thanks for sharing the image of the card, it'll make for a good quick reference.

18 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

While a nice catch, scroll up a bit. Tobias's contribution to this has been gone over. :) Thanks for sharing the image of the card, it'll make for a good quick reference.

Sigh, yeah that's the internet for you. If you have a good idea 3 other people have already had it. Points for presentation, I guess.

2 minutes ago, BDrafty said:

Sigh, yeah that's the internet for you. If you have a good idea 3 other people have already had it. Points for presentation, I guess.

Hey, don't stress on it. It was still a good catch. :)

On 8/16/2018 at 11:16 AM, Slugrage said:

You must be fun at parties.

No one who says that is themselves fun at parties, lol.

The need to put someone down for no reason suggests insecurity, and the use of a generic line to do it suggests you arent clever enough to think of something original yourself. 

On 8/16/2018 at 2:05 PM, DarthSempai said:

basically in a past edition of 40k, one list that happen to be very strong in tournament was an everyone-kept-in-reserve, all-infiltrating space marine list. All of your list came in that players turn 1, basically negating the alpha strike of the opponent (In a IGoYGo system, this was really strong). In pic related, the space marine player decided to keep all his army in reserve (this is a choice he made, he could have also deployed normally.)
So this magnificient mastermind Tau player realised he could bring a conga line of 30+ kroot that had infiltrate. They could deploy outside their deployment zone, but not closer that 12" from an enemy unit. Since there was no enemy unit, they could deploy right into the opponent's zone. So, when the Space Marine players turns come, he has to deploy his units within 6" of his own table edge, but not within a certain distance of any enemy unit. He can't, so all his army is counted as destroy. The Tau player got the win, and a stern warning not to do this again.

Basically, it was fighting fire with fire. The SM list was an optional gimmic, but the player opted to put all his egg in one basket. The Tau player happen to have enough unit with the Infiltrating special rule to completely counter this. 

His smug smile is really what sells it for me.

Trolls for Light!  Uniting against bull gimmickery is the only reasonable defence