Jump to content
Jello Knight

The Day Twitter Broke X-Wing

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

This requires a fairly specific obstacle setup, doesn't it?  

Not really. Look at the pictures. All it requires is one obstacle right in the center of the mat and then a large based ship being placed on top of the center obstacle. It’s doesn't matter where any of the other obstacles are. (Ninja’d by @nikk whyte:ph34r: also, what does the 3rd obstacle have to do with anything?)

This reminds me of the issue in first edition (and presumably carried over into 2nd edition, too) where if both players brought the 3 largest asteroids  and deployed them just right then it was impossible to place the 6th asteroid. Did FFG ever do anything about that particular conundrum? I mean, it was a pretty rare situation and I’m not sure it ever came up in any sort of official play event, but still. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Not really. Look at the pictures. All it requires is one obstacle right in the center of the mat and then a large based ship being placed on top of the center obstacle. It’s doesn't matter where any of the other obstacles are. (Ninja’d by @nikk whyte:ph34r: also, what does the 3rd obstacle have to do with anything?)

This reminds me of the issue in first edition (and presumably carried over into 2nd edition, too) where if both players brought the 3 largest asteroids  and deployed them just right then it was impossible to place the 6th asteroid. Did FFG ever do anything about that particular conundrum? I mean, it was a pretty rare situation and I’m not sure it ever came up in any sort of official play event, but still. 

1st and 3rd is just what I was told by the author. 

 

This is is going to be rare in standard play, but please note that in the very first premier event for second edition, if you want to play scum, you have to bring boba crew. That’s the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

1st and 3rd is just what I was told by the author. 

Where? I don’t see anything about it in the article...

I’m not trying to antagonize you or anything, I’m just curious if you’re seeing something I’m not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

Not really. As stated in the article, the only obstacle placements that matter are the 1st and 3rd. 

 

That can set the the whole thing off. 

I stand corrected.  I was going off the discussion linked to a bit later, because I couldn't open the pdf.

It still requires someone setting it up, though.  Do people who go to major tournaments usually play for the sole purpose of trolling others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

I stand corrected.  I was going off the discussion linked to a bit later, because I couldn't open the pdf.

It still requires someone setting it up, though.  Do people who go to major tournaments usually play for the sole purpose of trolling others?

There are at least a few and it is in the spirt of the wtf feel of scum. If the one with who would place their Boba crewed ship first also has Becket the odds of this happening increases.

Edited by Hiemfire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

There are at least a few and it is in the spirt of the wtf feel of scum. If the one with who would place their Boba crewed ship first also has Becket the odds of this happening increases.

One more reason to stay casual, I guess.

What's Becket do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

I stand corrected.  I was going off the discussion linked to a bit later, because I couldn't open the pdf.

It still requires someone setting it up, though.  Do people who go to major tournaments usually play for the sole purpose of trolling others?

no this isn't normal. its again, only happening because FFG is FORCING the use of a particular upgrade for each faction, so the likelihood of a boba v boba game is much much higher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Where? I don’t see anything about it in the article...

I’m not trying to antagonize you or anything, I’m just curious if you’re seeing something I’m not. 

The 3rd rock matters in the second scenario where you are trying to dictate where the opponent must place their Boba ship. 

It would go: 1st rock (you) places in the center, 2nd rock (them) places anywhere, 3rd rock (you) places in the corner you want to trap them in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nikk whyte said:

no this isn't normal. its again, only happening because FFG is FORCING the use of a particular upgrade for each faction, so the likelihood of a boba v boba game is much much higher. 

no, it is the voter's fault for choosing Boba as their mandatory card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice catch!

First situation is easily judged like the author figured, just use player order and the 2nd player deploys in normal deployment zone as there are no legal areas. Not a big deal as player order / initiative has always been a big game decider in some matchups.

The second situation is more devious and would in fact force the 2nd player to deploy at a disadvantage, RAW.

In my opinion, they should errata the Boba Fett crew card to be a "may" effect to avoid the 2nd situation going forward. If someone loses bid/player order, they can just opt to "waste points/slot" on Boba Fett and not use him in standard play (yes, I know its a free card during the Invitational).

 

Edited by kris40k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AgentoftheEmpire said:

Solution is simple. If a ship equipped with Boba cannot legally deploy as per the card, allow the ship to deploy as normal. 

That's a fast solution, but not a good one. In fact, I'd call it the worst possible permanent fix. 

You and I bring Boba large ships. We each spent a crew slot and thepoints, and we each have a strategy for how we will utilize Boba's deployment. I get to place mine first and pull this move. You have now wasted a crew slot, the points, and have to come up with a new strategy on the fly before we ever set dials. It's a NPE for player 2.

They need a real solution. Reduce the no-go zone to outside range 2 instead of 3 maybe. Maybe range 2 of only any ships also deployed from reserve. Anything that doesn't negate the second Boba is better than forcing him to deploy in his own zone as the ship would without Boba.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

no this isn't normal. its again, only happening because FFG is FORCING the use of a particular upgrade for each faction, so the likelihood of a boba v boba game is much much higher. 

When's the tournament?  I'm sure FFG will come up with something by then.

Sorry for the apathy.  I first came in here worried someone had found an overpowered combo, and then quickly lost interest upon discovering that it wouldn't really impact casual play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Embir82 said:

Everything goes exactly as I thought it would. New edition fix nothing, quite the contrary, it brings new set of problems. Death of list juggler, end of interesting potent card combinations, app requirement, boring starting meta (forget about aces, 3 ships or 2 ships list - ship spamming will be the most potent combo, unfortunately X-Wing works worse when too much ships are on the board). Now you can add badly tested cards that broke the game. And don't even get me started about one of the most idiotic and toxic card mechanics in the game - because it unfortunately stays with us in 2.0 (I'll Show You The Dark Side).

You must be fun at parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ViscerothSWG said:

That's a fast solution, but not a good one. In fact, I'd call it the worst possible permanent fix. 

You and I bring Boba large ships. We each spent a crew slot and thepoints, and we each have a strategy for how we will utilize Boba's deployment. I get to place mine first and pull this move. You have now wasted a crew slot, the points, and have to come up with a new strategy on the fly before we ever set dials. It's a NPE for player 2.

They need a real solution. Reduce the no-go zone to outside range 2 instead of 3 maybe. Maybe range 2 of only any ships also deployed from reserve. Anything that doesn't negate the second Boba is better than forcing him to deploy in his own zone as the ship would without Boba.

 

They should FAQ - If you cannot place your ship at range 0 of an obstacle and outside of range 3 of an enemy ship, you may place within range 1 of an obstacle or your own deployment zone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

One more reason to stay casual, I guess.

What's Becket do?

During Setup after forces are placed (Boba crew doesn't place till very end of setup due to his reserve ability) Tobias Becket allows the player fielding him to move an obstacle with normal placement rules applying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How bout if they remove the range restriction completely for enemy ships but add the caveat you can not have an enemy ship in firing arc? Obstacles by definition can’t be right next to each other and this would solve the problem without giving unfair advantage. Might also eliminate middle rock placement because you could pinch move that in one turn.

 

I do disagree with people saying this is a rare occurrence. Placing in field is a HUGE advantage, especially for ordnance carriers. This was gonna happen, the event just forced it.

Edited by LordFajubi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JJ48 said:

When's the tournament?  I'm sure FFG will come up with something by then.

Sorry for the apathy.  I first came in here worried someone had found an overpowered combo, and then quickly lost interest upon discovering that it wouldn't really impact casual play.

October. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×