Sign in to follow this  
SirCormac

Qi'ra and Han Solo Interaction (2.0)

So a friend and I were playing, and we got a little confused about the interaction between Qi'ra and Han Solo. So Qi'ra says if you have an obstacle locked, you ignore it when attacking and moving through it, while Han rolls 1 additional die when his attacks are obstructed by obstacles. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe FFG is trying to say this:

1. If you have an obstacle locked, Qi'ra allows you to ignore all of the normal effects an obstacle would give (+1 Defense die to enemy when attack is obstructed, Damage die for moving through, loss of Perform Action step)

2. The fact that an attack is obstructed is a separate concept. According to the rules, even other ships obstruct attacks, they just don't normally do anything when they do.

3. Now rocks normally add 1 defense die to an attack when they are obstructing, but since Qi'ra is ignoring the rock, that goes away. However, it still is obstructing the attack, but like other ships, just doesn't do anything by itself anymore.

4. Han says he gets an extra red die when his shots are obstructed by obstacles, which is a pilot ability, not an obstacle ability, and thus, while her wording could have been written better, Han can gain an extra die even though he is 'ignoring' the rock.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

An attack is obstructed if the attacker measures range through an object.

According to this definition, the attack in this case is not obstructed, since you ignore the locked obstacle when you measure range (since measuring range is part of the attack). Therefore no extra green dice for the defender, and Han Solo's ability does not trigger.

Seems that Qi'ra pretty clearly forces you to ignore the obstruction from the obstacle...

latest?cb=20180625161603

...but since Han Solo looks for an attack that is obstructed by an obstacle (and since you are ignoring the obstacle, it does not obstruct), that means she denies Han his extra attack die.

latest?cb=20180625152551

(I like to think of Han as having a baked-in Trick Shot for an ability)

By the text of the cards there's no question here. Qi'ra is not optional (besides you need a lock of course) so she turns of Han's ability on attack.

That does make her a bit anti-synergistic with Han. However she doesn't apply on defense so he still gets that side of his bonus, plus you can park that large base on a rock with no penalty, and ignoring the obstacle on attack so the defender doesn't get their bonus is 87.5% as good as giving Han a bonus vs thr defender bonus, so it's a fairly light downside.

I don't recall what they mentioned in the preview article about these two but it's well established those mean nothing and are often wrong. Don't even consider anything written in an article, just look at what the cards say.  Whether or not you think it's dumb or doesn't make sense thematically is irrelevant, the card text is clear.  She works fine with any other pilot. 

Look, if you were Han and you had Qi'ra on board, would you be spending your time shooting at TIE fighters? Also explains why a rock got target locked to begin with.

Anyways, we all know Han has the wookiee fly through asteroid fields when there is a lady on board.

Edited by Mep

11 hours ago, Mep said:

Look, if you were Han and you had Qi'ra on board, would you be spending your time shooting at TIE fighters? Also explains why a rock got target locked to begin with.

Anyways, we all know Han has the wookiee fly through asteroid fields when there is a lady on board.

He might not shoot first this time