LordCola

New Interdiction Ship would be cool

So in canon there are currently three ships beside the Interdictor that are equipped with interdiction technology. The CC-7700 frigate, the Detainer CC-2200 and the Immobilizer 418 cruiser all significantly smaller than the Interdictor. Wouldn't it be cool if we got one of those ships in the game on a small base lightly armed with just one experimental retrofit slot and a few new experimental retrofit upgrade cards? 

Maybe these cards could make use of these small ships improved movement (over the Interdictors) and have stronger effects but over smaller radii.

Or maybe they could add some new totally unique effects to the game like allowing you to fling one of your ships strait forward over distance 1. Or maybe the ability to once per turn push one obstacle that is at distance 2 of the ship over distance 1. Maybe the ability to interact with objective tokens to revitalize some of those objectives. Maybe some kind of new token that stays in its initial position that slows every ship at distance 1 by one even your own. That could be used in cool ways. Either to zone your opponent, or to drastically and suddenly slow down your own ships ahead of a obstacle or objective.

I am not saying any of my suggestions a balanced but I think there is still so much potential in the experimental retrofit slot in the game. What do you think?

I do wish I had a way to make use of those abilities without having to sink the points into the Interdictor. Similar to how I love the Quasar for giving me much of the squadron pushing power of an ISD1 for way fewer points.

If we ever got more factions - particularly a third that grouped together various 'nonaligned governments' - that would allow for the Hapan Consortium to show up.

Their ships were pretty cool, and notably looked very different from anything else in the game so far.

EU2vlIE.jpg

Also: those larger ones on the left, the Battle Dragons, had a hyperwave pulsemass generator which I could easily see as an 'experimental retrofit' slot.  Not exactly an Interdictor, but used much of the same concepts - just for very different effect.

10 minutes ago, xanderf said:

If we ever got more factions - particularly a third that grouped together various 'nonaligned governments' - that would allow for the Hapan Consortium to show up.

Their ships were pretty cool, and notably looked very different from anything else in the game so far. 

EU2vlIE.jpg

I don't mean to be mean but that ship on the left, I have seen it pop up a few times, is easily the ugliest space ship I have ever seen and I actively hope it never comes to the game.

4 hours ago, BlueSquadronPilot said:

I still want the Dominator as well... and some more smaller ships /flotillas/transports would be nice to go along with these for story driven campaigns 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dominator_(Interdictor-class)

I consider the interdictor we have to be the dominator. It's as big as my ISD model...

1 minute ago, rjl51869 said:

The poor Rebel Assault Frigate Mark II.  It never gets ANY love!  However, I have been able to use this ship with pretty good success.

I actually enjoy the ship. It is just that large battery ships are much more common lately meaning it is easier to be nuked.

16 minutes ago, rjl51869 said:

The poor Rebel Assault Frigate Mark II.  It never gets ANY love!  However, I have been able to use this ship with pretty good success.

For the life of me, I'll never understand why they went with the Mk II over the Mk I, to bring a ship of this size/capabilities into the game at all.

It's not like the Mk I isn't also an eyesore, it's just not quite...this...ugly.  And the Mk I has the advantage of appearing in not just (multiple!) video games, but comic books and novels as well, while the Mk II has yet to appear outside of that single PC game...

Ya really wonder, some days!

But as to the OP - there really aren't very many options for "experimental retrofit" ships in the Star Wars lore.  The Imperials really only ever had a single design, which got bizarrely scaled up and down a few times and ended up being described a half-dozen different ways - but current canon appears to suggest there really is only the one type; the ship seen in Rebels which is what we have in the game, now.  In the EU, there were some interdictor-type ships in the WAYYYY back Old Republic days, but apparently hyperspace technology had advanced to the point where they are no longer effective in their role.  Otherwise...not much!

6 minutes ago, xanderf said:

For the life of me, I'll never understand why they went with the Mk II over the Mk I, to bring a ship of this size/capabilities into the game at all.

It's not like the Mk I isn't also an eyesore, it's just not quite...this...ugly.  And the Mk I has the advantage of appearing in not just (multiple!) video games, but comic books and novels as well, while the Mk II has yet to appear outside of that single PC game...

Ya really wonder, some days!

But as to the OP - there really aren't very many options for "experimental retrofit" ships in the Star Wars lore.  The Imperials really only ever had a single design, which got bizarrely scaled up and down a few times and ended up being described a half-dozen different ways - but current canon appears to suggest there really is only the one type; the ship seen in Rebels which is what we have in the game, now.  In the EU, there were some interdictor-type ships in the WAYYYY back Old Republic days, but apparently hyperspace technology had advanced to the point where they are no longer effective in their role.  Otherwise...not much!

Those listed, the 7700, 2200, and 418 - ARE canon, due to the “Tarkin” novel.

The Interdictor was an attempt to also wed it to a more combat capable chassis.

Edited by Drasnighta

1 hour ago, xanderf said:

EU2vlIE.jpg

Also: those larger ones on the left, the Battle Dragons, had a hyperwave pulsemass generator which I could easily see as an 'experimental retrofit' slot.  Not exactly an Interdictor, but used much of the same concepts - just for very different effect.

Unaligned but able to be fielded by rebels or Imperial and i think many would love.  Maybe even throw the clone wars stuff that everyone argues which fleet it should belong to and call it a day.

22 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Those listed, the 7700, 2200, and 418 - ARE canon, due to the “Tarkin” novel.

The Interdictor was an attempt to also wed it to a more combat capable chassis.

Man, that novel has...problems.

Have you tried reading it, recently?  It seems to flat-out contradict some of the stuff seen in 'Solo', and especially 'Rogue One'.

Coming out as it did, the 2nd novel released as part of the new Disney takeover and reboot of the whole canon vs EU thing, I think they kind of jumped the gun on a few things.  Or maybe weren't as cautious as they could be.  Or maybe were, and James Luceno (a big fan of the old EU who had written much for it), saw this transition window as the last possible moment to go 'heck with it, it's all burning down, let's see how much of the old EU we can shovel in under the line before it's gone!' 

...or something.

It's stretching things so much, if there is any other real story development in this period, I'm challenged to see how it could easily remain in canon...

7 minutes ago, idiewell said:

Unaligned but able to be fielded by rebels or Imperial and i think many would love.  Maybe even throw the clone wars stuff that everyone argues which fleet it should belong to and call it a day.

FWIW, I think an 'unaligned' faction would work fine as a standalone faction.  There are plenty of candidate groups that HAVE bigger ships, and were not involved in the war between the Empire and Rebellion, so we'd be able to see with such a faction theme:

• Hapan Consortium (as noted, here, bringing some interdictor tech)
  • Corporate Sector Authority (making a good pivot point, as they extensively use Victory-class Star Destroyers, and some other Clone Wars leftovers)
  • Ssi-Ruuk (uhhhh….well, at least their ships are definitely...unique)
  • Separatist hold-outs (again allowing for more Clone Wars-era ships to appear)
  • The relatively few larger pirate/smuggler ships may fit in here (there really aren't near as many as they have small, X-Wing-game-scaled ships, but there are some) ...and if FFG does want to go back to the 'Empire at War' well that they dragged the AF Mk 2 from...the Zann Consortium ships are actually halfway-interesting looking.

30 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Man, that novel has...problems.

Have you tried reading it, recently?  It seems to flat-out contradict some of the stuff seen in 'Solo', and especially 'Rogue One'.

Last Night, actually.  Audiobook unabridged.

Solo, maybe.

Rogue one, no.

As it is set like, 8 years pre that time.

Edited by Drasnighta

5 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

But it makes a major plot point of Tarkin taking over the Death Star project, which Rogue One very clearly shows did not happen until...well, literally during that movie...

waJJNZP.png

36 minutes ago, xanderf said:

But it makes a major plot point of Tarkin taking over the Death Star project, which Rogue One very clearly shows did not happen until...well, literally during that movie...

waJJNZP.png

I don't feel it does contradict it.

Its talking about taking over the mobile battle station project - which includes all of the supply in its construction.  Of the Death Star.

Krennic was, for lack of a better term, only in charge of the Khyber project and the Superlaser.  That is what his focus was on with Galen Erso and such (as postulated in Catalyst)

THAT is the Achievement he's talking about.  The ability for destruction.  Not the Death Star itself.  Of course, Krennic sees it taht way, but Tarkin was on the project long before Krennic was (ref: Revenge of the Sith).

Edited by Drasnighta

Remember that, canonically, we’ve never seen any of these vessels (just heard mentions.)  As such they’re highly unlikely candidates for an expansion. More importantly, the Interdictor is in a good place now.  If a cheaper experimental retrofit ship comes onto the scene, gaining your second favorite ER + tanking capabilities might be a hard sell for 90 points.

5 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Last Night, actually.  Audiobook unabridged.

Solo, maybe.

Rogue one, no.

Being set five years after the Empires formation it was even earlier than that by a couple years. And I honestly don't remember enough to see the major conflict with Solo, much less Rogue One. Like you pointed out @Drasnighta, Tarkin was established as being in charge of the supply lines and over all progress of the station. And being that he out ranks Krennic so easily it would also make sense how he could brush him aside to take credit for its power and assume direct command. No one in the Empire aside from the Emperor and Vader are even close to the guy. Shame he wasn't used more in the movies.

The Interdictor in Armada (from Rebels) is something like a Immobilizer 418-class Immobilizer negvvImmobilizer negvv

pumped up to the size of the Interdictor-class

500?cb=20120425031256

Which I find sad and ruining the possibility to have both, which I would have liked much more, but thats the way your Disney canon goes.

Bildergebnis für Size comparison Interdictor

Btw: Whats wrong with Disney and their relation to Bridge sections? Is there a rule to silly put every bridge section (ISD, "Interdictor", Mandator IV)
Edited by DScipio

They've miss understood what the T bar section at the top of most modern ships superstructure*  is... and like most laymen think its the bridge, so have carried that over to SW ships

*Army here... so dont ask me either!  I just know its not the bridge ?

13 minutes ago, slasher956 said:

They've miss understood what the T bar section at the top of most modern ships superstructure*  is... and like most laymen think its the bridge, so have carried that over to SW ships

Before radar got really good, the "T" piece was a rangefinder... Nowadays that "T" is a surface search radar (you see them at airports, spinning really fast--the faster you see a radar spinning, the shorter the desired range, usually)
http://mathscinotes.com/2013/08/battleship-rangefinders-and-geometry/

11 hours ago, slasher956 said:

If you are referring to freighters (and, to a lesser extent, naval vessels)...

3898801499_6eeaf30af5_z.jpg

...actually, that kinda/sorta is the bridge.  Or components of the navigation bridge, anyway.  Which is an important point of distinction on its own - any military vessel of any noticeable size is not "fought" from the navigation bridge, but from the CIC, which is deep inside the ship and very definitely has no windows. 

Anyway, the point of the wings is to aid in navigation and port maneuvers.  IE., when you have pilot ships coming and going, or are otherwise navigating a controlled area.  Given the massive size of the ships, from the center of the bridge, you basically have no visibility to where the sides of the ship are in relation to anything, so...the bridge wings let you walk out and look over the side of the ship to see what is down there in the water.

Obviously, that doesn't have much applicability to Star Wars ships, so...yeah, it's a weird design thing.  (I mean, maybe - maybe - I could see the argument for the Interdictor, given that walking out that way lets you inspect the gravity well generators, but...given there is no comparable structure on the bottom...?  And it makes no sense at all for the Mandator IV...)