Sign in to follow this  
HanScottFirst

Article: "Qualify for Worlds in Less Than Twelve Parsecs"

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/13/qualify-for-worlds-in-less-than-twelve-parsecs/

I always thought Worlds could be fun, but looks like I have to git gud now XD

The top players at each of these events will earn their invitations!

• The Top 8 players at each System Open.
  • All undefeated players in a System Open Hyperspace Qualifier.
  • The winner of each Hyperspace Trial.
  • The Top 2 players at each Hyperspace Cup."
Edited by HanScottFirst

For players in the UK the cost of going to worlds was already a huge barrier to participation. Our system open had 500 players this year and our regionals regularly exceed 100 people, so that barrier just got raised further relative to a lot of places where events aren't as large. I hope there are going to be a lot more of these events.

1 hour ago, Tbetts94 said:

Perfect example how podcasters come up with an idea and FFG tries to execute the idea but fail. First it was that god aweful lottery now it’s the invitation system that excludes a large portion of the community.

Way better than only the people who click the fastest get a ticket. FFG does not have the space to let everyone come either. Worlds should be a prestigious event for the "best" players. There will be plenty of lower level tournaments that anyone can go to.

This makes almost no difference at all to whether I (or most players i know) ever go to Worlds. I already needed to win a flights and accommodation ticket to be able to go.

What's far more interesting is the dribble of information about both the system open series (confirmed to still exist, yay!) and the Hyperspace Cup events. Effectively multiplying the number of Regionals is good news.

I do wonder if they've completely messed up the North American events though: deadline for applications being today (14th August). Did stores get any notice about applying?

23 minutes ago, Gilarius said:

I do wonder if they've completely messed up the North American events though: deadline for applications being today (14th August). Did stores get any notice about applying?

Yeah, I don't think they did. When we tried to get my FLGS to apply for one of these last week, it was the first they'd heard of it. 

I don't think FFG tells stores any more than they tell us via articles. Which is... not a lot of information when you think about it. 

13 hours ago, AcexShadow said:

Just like the baseball 'World' Series.

This was last year, but I bet its a similar percentage.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/05/mlb-opens-season-with-record-percentage-foreign-born-players.html

Nearly a 1/3 of all players were born outside the U.S. So yeah, you can call it a World Series.

New plan for the World's Tournament:

FFG rents out US Bank Stadium (home of the Vikings) and everyone who wants to come gets a ticket. 

Day 1: Everyone is randomly placed into 64 person pods, double elimination bracket (two players will end with one loss and will play an extra round to see who moves on)

Day 2: Top 2 from each pod are entered into single elimination bracket seeded on record and MoV (some may receive first round byes due to no set number of Day 1 brackets)

US Bank Stadium could have sufficient space throughout the concourse and field to house a massive number of players. There would also be sufficient food and bathroom facilities. Breaking the players into 64 person brackets could allow for better management since each group would essentially be its own mini tournament with a dedicate TO/judge. Bracketing would speed up matchmaking since players would know right away who they would be playing next.

When players receive their second loss, they can choose to play in other events or open tables for additional prizes/prize tickets. 

8 hours ago, Varyag said:

Way better than only the people who click the fastest get a ticket. FFG does not have the space to let everyone come either. Worlds should be a prestigious event for the "best" players. There will be plenty of lower level tournaments that anyone can go to.

2017 Worlds was fine. No hiccups people who wanted to go were able to go. Worlds is something everyone should go to at least once and experience. I feel bad for the ones who now aren’t able to go. 

To put it in perspective Simeon would not have qualified to go to Worlds this last year and Justin Phua will now have to travel outside of his country and make sure to do good to have the opportunity to go to spend money to fly to Worlds. 

It's not a bad idea to make Worlds into an even bigger event than it already was. It was a bit confusing having the System Open Sereis (really competitive; got my *** kicked when I tried) AND the Worlds champ. I think the official organized play system should be unified.

I do agree with people who have shared their worry and regret about some of the best players not having a good shot at Worlds because of where they are located. At least FFG seems to be putting some funding into travel and logging accomodations being part of the System Open prizes. As an American, I'd actually be ok with all of the travel prizes going to international System Open winners; if only to keep Worlds as international as we can. (Not that I was ever in danger of actually winning one of those prizes... ?)