Jump to content
Atlas85

Biome Preference or How to spend my money

Recommended Posts

Here's a hypothetical

 

Buyer is excited about the premise of a survival game and will purchase this game, but also is hoping for a wilderness or arctic survival experience.  Buyer purchases game and receives a box with a set for the desert island experience.  While disappointed, Buyer is still excited to play the game and try out the mechanics.  After enjoying the desert island experience to the fullest and enjoying the game, Buyer decides to purchase a second box to hopefully get a different experience in a different biome.  Buyer receives second copy, full of desert island experience version 2.

 

This game does seem like something I would be very interested in, but this unique game thing is making me a little hesitant.  Currently there isn't enough information to support the above example actually occurring as written, but this was the first place my head went after reading the initial details.  I actually don't have an issue with the unique idea, as long as if I decided to spend an additional $60 for a second box I would be receiving an additional $60 of value.  Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. In the hypothetical situation that I loved the game and wanted to buy a second copy, I would want a way to ensure I was getting a game that was different enough from the first.

Basically, I wouldn't buy a second copy - at least not new. Maybe I'd buy one off someone else having already seen the components.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Radix2309 said:

Trade or buy an opened copy from someone else.

That can't be the only answer. FFG would prefer to lose the money of another copy bought?

I'm on the same boat. Boardgames like this have limited replay value. Being unable to change the game chalenges, even when buying another copy, would be a total cold shower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't imagine this hasn't already come up behind closed doors at FFG so I'm assuming there is some sort of response to this.  I'm willing to concede we are drawing conjectures from very little information released so far.  Maybe like others have already suggested there will be "booster packs" that may contain smaller but guaranteed content that will sell at reduced cost, but if this is true, potentially different players may have to spend varying amounts of money to achieve what the community deems "the most fun" set of content, if such a thing will exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or, just have each member of your group who is into this kind of game buy a copy and hope for the best? I like the 'surprise' elements here, but I was wondering the same thing. I wouldn't' be surprised if a lot of the content ends up being able to be proxied if you absolutely want to play a specific scenario or something.

 

I wouldn't be concerned about the first box, but the 2nd (supposing I'd want one) would be another matter.  Only time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my gaming group consists of my wife and me, and while costs of games are indeed split to an entirely fair ratio (100% me and 0% her), her purchasing her own copy helps me none.

As an aside, I agree with the excitement of not knowing.  I'm fairly positive that I will indeed purchase this game in the future based on the simple fact of not knowing what I am getting initially is very exciting.  I just don't want to feel like I am missing out later on.  And I know some people will say that other peoples experiences should not affect my own plays...but it does, ok?  It just does.  As someone who spends most of a work day browsing various board game forums, play session envy is real and I don't want to feel like I bought an inferior copy of something someone else paid the exact same amount of money for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Or, just have each member of your group who is into this kind of game buy a copy and hope for the best? I like the 'surprise' elements here, but I was wondering the same thing. I wouldn't' be surprised if a lot of the content ends up being able to be proxied if you absolutely want to play a specific scenario or something.

 

I wouldn't be concerned about the first box, but the 2nd (supposing I'd want one) would be another matter.  Only time will tell.

Knowing our luck, we'd get 5 desert islands and a mountain and everyone would be WTF No Jungle?! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DailyRich said:
1 minute ago, DailyRich said:

It may not be confined to a single biome.  You might start in a desert, climb a mountain and end up in a jungle.

Came to the same conclusion. That way there's multiple paths to everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Barbacuo said:

So, how many core sets do I have to buy for a complete playset?

N/A. The concept of a “complete playset” likely does not exist anymore than someone playing a roguelike expecting to see the “complete game.”

Edited by KalEl814

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wirbowsky said:

I fail to understand why people would say that they would enjoy the game if it's an arctic survival but would be disappointed if it's a desert one. Are some people really that specific in their taste when purchasing a game?

Narrativly I would prefere a scenario where I am stranded on an island or stuck on mountains than lost in a desert. But if the narrative is good, I probably would enjoy all of them.

Edited by Ignithas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ignithas said:

Narrativly I would prefere a scenario where I am stranded on an island or stuck on mountains than lost in a desert. But if the narrative is good, I probably would enjoy all of them.

That's what I think also, the game mechanic, the scenario, the challenge level... all those points are critical to having a good game. Then surviving on an island or stuck on a desert, I understand that one of the two triggers more your imagination than the other but I think both fits the survival genre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KalEl814 said:

N/A. The concept of a “complete playset” likely does not exist anymore than someone playing a roguelike expecting to see the “complete game.”

Excepted that for a rogue like game starting a new game with a fresh differnt expderience will not cost you the full price of the game again

 

43 minutes ago, wirbowsky said:

I fail to understand why people would say that they would enjoy the game if it's an arctic survival but would be disappointed if it's a desert one. Are some people really that specific in their taste when purchasing a game?

Because personal preferences of themes. Same reason why someone would choose to play Descent instead of Imperial assault. But at least they can make this choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who get stuck in survival situations have rarely chosen to be in that position. Isn’t it a bit theme breaking to pick where you’re stuck?

”oh no I’m lost in this artic wilderness.

oh well I guess this tent, warm sleeping bag snow shoes and sled will come in handy...”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tam Palso said:

People who get stuck in survival situations have rarely chosen to be in that position. Isn’t it a bit theme breaking to pick where you’re stuck?

”oh no I’m lost in this artic wilderness.

oh well I guess this tent, warm sleeping bag snow shoes and sled will come in handy...”

I will counter, only to say, while vacationing in the South Dakota Badlands, had I suddenly been stranded and needing to survive, it would have come as a great shock to me if I were suddenly needing all of my island training.  Similarly, if I visit India, any survival preparation I would make would fail to account for arctic conditions.  :)

If instead we view this as an, "Our airplane went down and now we have to get to civilization" scenario, then yes, you could easily end up in an environment over which you had no prior say.  During the summer, airlines often fly over the arctic circle when transiting between the America and northern Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wirbowsky said:

I fail to understand why people would say that they would enjoy the game if it's an arctic survival but would be disappointed if it's a desert one. Are some people really that specific in their taste when purchasing a game?

I have to admit, Island and jungle appeal more to me than artic. I guess it's similar to where one would rather go on vacation. Some people want the tropics, some people like skiing in the snow.

Now this is just a small difference since it's basically "survival in various places" but imagine if they made the variable contents a different setting/genre: Like fantasy, western, sci-fi, horror. I know some people who won't play fantasy stuff.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robin Graves said:

Now this is just a small difference since it's basically "survival in various places" but imagine if they made the variable contents a different setting/genre: Like fantasy, western, sci-fi, horror. I know some people who won't play fantasy stuff.

 

I think that we agree :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×