Sign in to follow this  
Kitsuki_School

Dear FFG: A Request from a long time Arkham fan for ...

23 hours ago, Hordeoverseer said:

Knowing FFG, that art will be re-purposed to an event or skill card than made into a character. RIP Cthulhu LCG characters (other than a few minor exceptions).

That is not to say that Li won't be made into an investigator, or at the very least an ally, in a future release.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:35 PM, cheapmate said:

Or perhaps an Asian male that is not a stereotype, like a pilot or an inspector (like Li Flint from Call of Cthulhu)

A102D173-DFEF-4EC1-8277-42234939B462.jpeg

Neat find :) I might actually need to check out the CoC game or maybe proxy it as a custom investigator ... ?

On 8/18/2018 at 10:37 AM, Turtlefan2082 said:

That is not to say that Li won't be made into an investigator, or at the very least an ally, in a future release.

That's true...but I've seen a good chunk of characters in the CoC LCG get turned into event or non-ally asset cards. So it's not a given that they'll even be an ally. That's just the pessimist in me, I do sincerely hope I'm wrong. CoC had a much of awesome characters.

I do like that guy, though. Understand your enemy... well, that makes him a Guardian Seeker a bit like Roland. With an ability like... "If you have a clue, deal +1 damage" or something.

3 hours ago, Hordeoverseer said:

That's true...but I've seen a good chunk of characters in the CoC LCG get turned into event or non-ally asset cards. So it's not a given that they'll even be an ally. That's just the pessimist in me, I do sincerely hope I'm wrong. CoC had a much of awesome characters.

Artwork speaking, yes.  But that doesn't mean the character is himself won't be made into an investigator or unique ally

They could make an Asian male who isn't overtly a stereotype but used to be a stereotype.. Lemme pitch: 

Sanjo Masatake. 

Image: Adult Japanese male. Impeccable attire (no hat!), sad smile. Murder scene in the background. Missing little finger on one hand.

Theme blurb: When the american feds brought Sanjo to Arkham, they had assured him his past wouldn't catch up to him here. He did'nt tell them that he was now exactly where his visions had led him.

Overall theme: Sanjo is a traveler with an ambiguous past but clear future, he suffers from premonitions that reveal future moments, he regards these visions with uncertain appreciation and is'nt afraid to take gambles, knowing the outcome already. For reasons unalluded to he's brought to America by the federal agency, the only hint is his missing little finger. Fate and Foresight are Sanjo's overall themes.

Cardpool: Class-Guardian 0-3. Fortune 0-5. Augury 0-5. 

Signature ability: Action: Discard a fortune or augury card from your hand, search the the top 9 cards of your deck for a card and draw it.

Stats: Willpower 3. Intellect 3. Combat 4. Agility 3. Health 7. Sanity 6.

Unique cards: A gun with a famous japanese sword name (Kusanagi for example), .45 stats but +1 extra damage in rounds where you've used Fortune/Augury cards. A treachery weakness that sits in play and discards random cards from hand until an action-loss bank is satisfied (Action->Resource on weakness, when weakness has 3 resources Discard it.).

Gameplay ID: Flexible monster hunter, above average stats. Good at beating tests via special cardpool. Usually able to tutor major cards/weapons. Somewhat damage/Horror sensitive. When you know the future you know exactly what to do, but you will spend a lot of time preparing "perfect scenarios", thus the action draining mechanics.

Balance: Action intensive signature strength balanced with the better than average statline. Potential balance change: -1 Combat.

Edit: The text on "Kusanagi" might be: Action: Fight, you get +1 combat and +1 damage for this attack. If this attack is successful and you've played at least one Augury or Fortune card this round deal +1 damage.

Edited by tsuruki

On 8/20/2018 at 8:42 AM, Eldan985 said:

With an ability like... "If you have a clue, deal +1 damage" or something.

Oh, I like that concept for a character ability. Boost a specified stat +1 for every clue in hand.

Here's another Li Flint idea. Slot-less signature asset Profile Analysis:

3 investigation icons for commitment. Cost 1 to play.
[reaction] When you defeat a non-elite enemy with no Victory or Vengeance points, place it under Profile Analysis.
[fast action] Exhaust Profile Analysis to add +X to a skill check. X equals the number of cards under Profile Analysis with a subtype in common, minus 1.

Edited by Carthoris

+1 per clue would get massively out of hand in multiplayer. I've seen Rex with eight clues on him quite often. You never want anyone dealing that much damage. I'd keep it at +1, no matter the number of clues. 

Profile analysis: maybe tie it to same trait as the monster you are attacking? THough that immediately makes the traits Humanoid and Monster extremely good, those are on almost all creatures. 

41 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

Profile analysis: maybe tie it to same trait as the monster you are attacking? THough that immediately makes the traits Humanoid and Monster extremely good, those are on almost all creatures. 

What about "[Free] Exhaust Profile Analysis and discard one card under it: An enemy at your location gets -X fight and evade for this test. X is the number of traits it shares with the discarded card."

The cards do need a way to get out from under Li, so he can't just collect every enemy in the scenario. This lets him do a bit of the supporting that Guardians are known for; he'll mostly use his ability to boost his own attacks, but he can help out others if need be.

Also, the first trigger should be "When you defeat an enemy, if it would go into the encounter discard pile"; calling out Vengeance and Victory in particular preempts any future rules that could mess with defeated enemies (like the Wraith in Circle Undone). If you'd written that rule before TFA, you'd have probably just said "worth no victory points," making Li essentially immune to Vengeance. Besides, "with no Victory or Vengeance points" is ambiguous, since plenty of enemies have Victory 0.

Edited by rsdockery

That works very well, I think. 

Edit: though I'd also limit how many enemies you can have under there. Maybe instead of exhaust and remove:

"Reaction: when you defeat an enemy that would go to the encounter discard pile, discard all enemies under profile analysis and place that enemy under profile analysis."

And then that action. So you can only ever have one under there. 

Edited by Eldan985

1 hour ago, Eldan985 said:

+1 per clue would get massively out of hand in multiplayer. ... You never want anyone dealing that much damage. I'd keep it at +1, no matter the number of clues.

I was shifting to suggest a stat bonus (and maybe not strength), not a damage bonus.

5 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

Edit: though I'd also limit how many enemies you can have under there. Maybe instead of exhaust and remove:

"Reaction: when you defeat an enemy that would go to the encounter discard pile, discard all enemies under profile analysis and place that enemy under profile analysis."

And then that action. So you can only ever have one under there.

Or just add "Limit one card under Profile Analysis." I do think the exhaust and discard is necessary, simply because the ability has the potential to be powerful. You can usually get at least two matching traits for a boss enemy (except for the Ancient Ones), and it's no real burden for a monster-hunter to kill monsters (hence why Yorick is so good).

The real challenge is giving him stats and deckbuilding that differentiate him from Joe and Roland. I'll bow out of that, since I don't know any of the CoC LCG lore.

Edited by rsdockery

21 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

+1 per clue would get massively out of hand in multiplayer. I've seen Rex with eight clues on him quite often. You never want anyone dealing that much damage. I'd keep it at +1, no matter the number of clues. 

It could always be capped, like "I've Got a Plan!".  And maybe once per round.

Edited by CSerpent