Sign in to follow this  
Kitsuki_School

Dear FFG: A Request from a long time Arkham fan for ...

An Asian male investigator! Not sure if this is place to make this post but so far I noticed the representation in all the Arkham series including Eldritch, Mansions, Elder Signs, etc are very scarce in the Asian male representation? To my memory I don't even think we're depicted on a single card! As an Asian male myself, I'd love to have a character I can feel I'm connected with and some of my fellow peers agree as well. Don't mean for this post to come across as a SJW as I find FFG's Netrunner gives a pretty diverse rep so hopefully we get a bit of the same in Arkham as well.

Thanks for reading!

(Note: This is crossposted from BGG forums as I got encouraged to also post it here!)

I think these are great posts that will hopefully give FFG an idea for what their player demographic and desires are. If and when a new investigator is announced, I hope they've had a chance to see your post. :)

I don't know if it will help, but thanks for speaking up! 

Edited by Soakman

15 minutes ago, Hordeoverseer said:

Question is, has Arkham LCG created new investigators that haven't been pulled from previous games? I think the LCG still has an extensive catalogue of investigators to pull from before creating new ones anytime soon. 

They created Sefina.  Okay, new investigators are probably created independent of individual game lines, but she was originally released in the card game.

1 hour ago, Hordeoverseer said:

Question is, has Arkham LCG created new investigators that haven't been pulled from previous games? I think the LCG still has an extensive catalogue of investigators to pull from before creating new ones anytime soon.

Sefina Rousseau, the artist, was created originally for the card game.  She was later included as a new investigator in the Masks of Nyarlathopep expansion of Eldritch Horror.

Considering the fact the the game is still fairly new, it is possible for asian male investigator to be created.

Edited by Turtlefan2082
Spelling

Mansions of Madness 2.0 released with 4 new characters (Agatha Crane, Carson Sinclair, Father Mateo, Preston Fairmont) 1 of whom (Father Mateo) has appeared in AH:LCG, and all 4 have appeared in Eldritch Horror & Elder Sign as well.  I believe that Daniela Reyes debuted in Eldritch Horror as did the reimagining of Calvin Wright (originally a promo for AH2e).  These last 2 allowed the company to introduce homosexual characters into the universe, and both will be in the upcoming AH3e.

I like the idea of an Asian male character - and am not partial to him being American or otherwise.

There was a post (I believe on the EH forum) requesting a Native American character as well.  I am interested in both of these characters being created and propagated throughout the Arkham Files games with 1 provision: they must not push farther back the eventual release of Daisy Walker in MoM2.  I needs my mini, Yo!

5 minutes ago, Duciris said:

Daniela Reyes debuted in Eldritch Horror as did the reimagining of Calvin Wright (originally a promo for AH2e).

Daniela is her own character since Calvin has been released in the card game, Eldritch Horror  and will be included in AH3e

i would like the Male Asian character, that sounds awesome.. maybe a rogue, yakuza/triad, since we have 2 asian females that fit the bookworm and martial artist niche.

also, yes.. an American Native type character would be epic, i dont know how i could look over the fact there isn't one growing up next to a reservation ffs.

I'm  not opposed to the idea.  I imagine though that with only 5ish investigators released per cycle (not including books) they probably have a pretty tight list of releases for playable characters.    Among the things that their fanbase wants are:

More classic arkham characters.   Did you know there are only 2 characters in AH LCG that were from the Core set of 2nd Edition Arkham Horror?   Jenny Barnes and Ashcan Pete.   There's also Carolyn if you count her.   But since she's a book exclusive, I don't.   Regardless, there's a lot of fan favorites missing, that's for sure.

Characters that have been released in some other format:   Silas, Norman, Marie, and Carolyn are all being greedily anticipated for the main game.

Other characters to expand inclusivity:    There's no asian male, but there are asian females.  Mateo is latino, but there's no female.  There is no african-american female (akachi's cultural background is from the African continent, not african-american).  There's no native american character at all.   

My point is, it might be a while...  but it could still happen!  I hope it does.

The allies have a little bit more diversity -- Aquinnah, Yoatl, Dario, Charles, Lola.  Someone once did a cool fan project where they made ally cards of each of the playable investigators.   Maybe someone will work on doing the opposite.

Edited by CSerpent

Okay, now you made me want to dig through the ally deck.

Presumably white American, possibly European: Alyssa Graham, Arcane Initiate, Art Student, Beat Cop, Brother Xavier, Cat Burglar, David Renfield, Dr. Elli Horowitz (possibly Eastern European, possibly Jewish), Dr. Milan Christopher. Dr. William T. Maleson, Jake Williams, Joey "the Rat" Vigil, Leo de Luca (Italian ancestry), Laboratory Assistant, Mitch Brown, Olive McBride, Peter Sylvestre, Research Librarian, Treasure Hunter, Venturer

Native American: Aquinnah, Yaotl, 

African American: Charles Ross, Esq., 

Middle Eastern: Dario El-Amin, 

Latino: Lola Santiago

Presumably French: Madame Labranche

Outer God and/or Mi-Go: The Red-Gloved Man

We've gotten 7 new characters since Arkham Horror has stopped being expanded.

• 4 in MoM2 core set (Agatha Crane, Carson Sinclair, Father Mateo, Preston Fairmont)
  • 1 in AH:LCG (Sefina Rousseau)
  • 2 in EH (Daniela Reyes, Calvin Wright (reimagined))

From the following forum.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, Duciris said:
Investigator Occupation Arkham Horror Eldritch Horror Elder Sign Arkham Horror LCG Mansiosn of Madness (Second)
Agatha Crane the Parapsycologist --- EH09: Masks SL20: Pharaoh --- MAD20: Core
Agnes Baker the Waitress AH06: Innsmouth EH03: Mountains SL17: Ice AHC01: Core MAD27: Journeys
Akachi Onyele the Shaman AH06: Innsmouth EH01: Core SL16: Gates AHC11: Carcosa MAD23: Beyond
Amanda Sharpe
the Student AH01: Core EH07: Dream SL05: Core ---  ††MAD23: Memories
"Ashcan" Pete the Drifter AH01: Core EH08: Cities SL05: Core AHC02: Dunwich  †MAD22: Nightmares
Bob Jenkins the Salesman AH01: Core EH08: Cities SL05: Core ---  ††MAD23: Memories
Calvin Wright the Damned Promo EH09: Masks SL20: Pharaoh AHC19: Age ---
Carolyn Fern the Psychologist AH01: Core EH07: Dream SL05: Core Novella  ††MAD23: Memories
Carson Sinclair the Buttler --- EH09: Masks SL20: Pharaoh --- MAD20: Core
Charlie Kane the Politician AH04: Kingsport EH01: Core SL17: Ice --- MAD26: Twilight
Daisy Walker the Librarian AH04: Kingsport EH03: Mountains SL19: Deep AHC01: Core ---
Daniela Reyes the Mechanic --- EH09: Masks --- --- ---
Darrell Simmons the Photographer AH01: Core EH07: Dream SL05: Core ---  ††MAD23: Memories
Dexter Drake the Magician AH01: Core EH06: Carcosa SL05: Core ---  ††MAD23: Memories
Diana Stanley the Redeemed Cultist AH02: Dunwich EH01: Core SL15: Unseen --- MAD25: Streets
Father Mateo the Priest --- EH09: Masks SL20: Pharaoh AHC19: Age MAD20: Core
Finn Edwards the Bootlegger AH06: Innsmouth EH03: Mountains SL16: Gates AHC19: Age MAD25: Streets
George Barnaby the Lawyer AH06: Innsmouth EH03: Mountains SL19: Deep --- ---
Gloria Goldberg the Author AH01: Core EH07: Dream SL05: Core ---  †MAD22: Nightmares
Hank Samson the Farmhand AH06: Innsmouth EH05: Pyramids SL19: Deep --- ---
Harvey Walters the Professor AH01: Core EH05: Pyramids SL05: Core ---  †MAD22: Nightmares
Jacqueline Fine the Psychic AH02: Dunwich EH01: Core SL15: Unseen --- ---
Jenny Barnes the Dilettante AH01: Core EH06: Carcosa SL05: Core AHC02: Dunwich  †MAD22: Nightmares
Jim Culver the Musician AH02: Dunwich EH01: Core SL15: Unseen AHC02: Dunwich MAD27: Journeys
Joe Diamond the Private Eye AH01: Core EH05: Pyramids SL05: Core ---  †MAD22: Nightmares
Kate Winthrop the Scientist AH01: Core EH07: Dream SL05: Core ---  †MAD22: Nightmares
Leo Anderson the Expedition Leader AH02: Dunwich EH01: Core SL15: Unseen AHC19: Age ---
Lily Chen the Martial Artist AH04: Kingsport EH01: Core SL17: Ice --- MAD26: Twilight
Lola Hayes the Actress AH04: Kingsport EH01: Core SL19: Deep AHC11: Carcosa ---
Luke Robinson the Dreamer AH04: Kingsport EH07: Dream SL19: Deep --- ---
Mandy Thompson the Researcher AH01: Core EH05: Pyramids SL05: Core ---  ††MAD23: Memories
Marie Lambeau the Entertainer AH02: Dunwich EH04: Strange SL15: Unseen Promo MAD25: Streets
Mark Harrigan the Soldier AH02: Dunwich EH01: Core SL15: Unseen AHC11: Carcosa ---
Michael McGlen the Gangster AH01: Core EH06: Carcosa SL05: Core ---  †MAD22: Nightmares
Minh Thi Phan the Secretary AH06: Innsmouth EH05: Pyramids SL19: Deep AHC11: Carcosa MAD20: Core
Monterey Jack the Archeologist AH01: Core EH05: Pyramids SL05: Core ---  ††MAD23: Memories
Norman Withers the Astronomer AH06: Innsmouth EH01: Core SL16: Gates Novella ---
Patrice Hathaway the Violinist AH06: Innsmouth EH03: Mountains SL16: Gates --- ---
Preston Fairmont the Millionaire --- EH09: Masks SL20: Pharaoh --- MAD20: Core
Rex Murphy the Reporter AH04: Kingsport EH05: Pyramids SL17: Ice AHC02: Dunwich ---
Rita Young the Athlete AH02: Dunwich EH08: Cities SL15: Unseen --- MAD20: Core
Roland Banks the Fed AH06: Innsmouth EH08: Cities SL19: Deep AHC01: Core ---
Sefina Rousseau the the Painter --- EH09: Masks SL20: Pharaoh AHC11: Carcosa ---
Silas Marsh the Sailor AH06: Innsmouth EH01: Core SL17: Ice Novella

MAD27: Journeys

Sister Mary the Nun AH01: Core EH05: Pyramids SL05: Core ---  †MAD22: Nightmares
"Skids" O'Toole the Ex-Convict AH06: Innsmouth EH04: Strange SL16: Gates AHC01: Core ---
Tommy Muldoon the Rookie Cop AH06: Innsmouth EH03: Mountains SL16: Gates --- MAD25: Streets
Tony Morgan the Bounty Hunter AH04: Kingsport EH04: Strange SL17: Ice --- ---
Trish Scarborough the Spy AH06: Innsmouth EH01: Core SL16: Gates --- MAD27: Journeys
Ursula Downs the Explorer AH06: Innsmouth EH03: Mountains SL17: Ice AHC19: Age ---
Vincent Lee the Doctor AH01: Core EH07: Dream SL05: Core ---  ††MAD23: Memories
Wendy Adams the Urchin AH04: Kingsport EH06: Carcosa SL17: Ice AHC01: Core MAD20: Core
William Yorick the Gravedigger AH06: Innsmouth EH07: Dream SL16: Gates AHC11: Carcosa MAD20: Core
Wilson Richards the Handyman AH02: Dunwich EH03: Mountains SL15: Unseen --- ---
Zoey Samaras the Chef AH06: Innsmouth EH04: Strange SL19: Deep AHC02: Dunwich ---

†These were originally released in the Mansions of Madness 1st edition core set.

††These were originally released in the Mansions of Madness 1st edition expansions: Forbidden Alchemy and Call of the Wild.

I can't edit the list while at work to include the known AH3 characters (Agnes Baker, Calvin Wright, Daniela Reyes, Jenny Barns, Tommy Muldoon, & Wendy Adams).

If we include promos and novella characters, the lists of missing investigators are:

• Arkham Horror 2e:  7  (1 of which is available as a promo)
  • Eldritch Horror:  0
  • Elder Sign:  1
  • Arkham Horror LCG:  34  (3 are novellas, 1 is a promo)
  • Mansions of Madness 2e:  20
  • Arkham Horror 3e:  49

Honestly, the only time I think about their given race is during conversations like these.  I think about their gender, but just for roleplaying purposes.  I think when I was in high school, I still cared about playing a character matching my gender.  Now, I much rather play a character not of my gender.  Doubly if it's a video game - I prefer listening to the opposite gender speak and grunt as they take damage and jump.

There is an interesting phenomenon I have observed over the last decade in comics.  People often have a specific character, hero or villain, with whom they self identify.  When the characters are reimagined as different genders/races/sexuality, they don't particularly take that well.  It's an internalized view of themselves, and someone else told them (in effect) that they have changed.  People often see them as being aint-whatever, notably anti-gay in regards to Alen Scott (Green Lantern) and Piotr "Peter" Rasputin (Colossus).  I had 2 friends, each self identified as 1 of those characters.  When, in new iterations of the comics, they were written as gay, those friends had very negative reactions.  Neither of these people are anti-gay, in fact 1 of "Colossus's" roommates is gay and "Alan Scott" has marched and organized fund raising events supporting homosexuality.

People often think that the reaction to changing an established character's gender/race/sexuality is opposition to those qualities.  Knowing individuals has given me an insight that I think some of those companies lack: you may create characters and write them and believe that you control them, however, it will be the fans that embody them.

I think the way that FFG has been handling adding characters to the Arkham Files (yes, Calvin was originally a promo character and straight and white) has been the correct way to go about it.  I am hopeful that they will add more characters with more diversity to the games, especially if the alternative is to rewrite these existing characters as something they have never been.

On 8/15/2018 at 3:44 AM, iGniGhted said:

i would like the Male Asian character, that sounds awesome.. maybe a rogue, yakuza/triad, since we have 2 asian females that fit the bookworm and martial artist niche.

Or perhaps an Asian male that is not a stereotype, like a pilot or an inspector (like Li Flint from Call of Cthulhu)

A102D173-DFEF-4EC1-8277-42234939B462.jpeg

I don't care about race per se, but more their ethnicity or background. We have enough middle-classish white people from Arkham. Show us some different stuff.

Native American, southwest seems likely. Codetalker is just me personally, but it is quickly growin on me.

An Asian male, we don't exactly have a Japanese character yet so I could see a Yakuza member or something.

A South American member from Brazil or Chile maybe. Perhaps a female Bounty Hunter of sorts.

Do we have any Arabic characters? It seems odd that there aren't considering the Necronomicon's origin with the "Mad Arab"

Neither is there an Indian character.

11 hours ago, cheapmate said:

Or perhaps an Asian male that is not a stereotype, like a pilot or an inspector (like Li Flint from Call of Cthulhu)

A102D173-DFEF-4EC1-8277-42234939B462.jpeg

Knowing FFG, that art will be re-purposed to an event or skill card than made into a character. RIP Cthulhu LCG characters (other than a few minor exceptions).

Edited by Hordeoverseer