spartan1128

2.0 TIE Interceptors!

I'm eyeing 5 alpha squadron pilots with wampa.  It may not be 6 interceptors, but wampa either rolls 3 dice or draws fire and potentially dies instead of an interceptor, so it's close.  Optionally, you could put in Seyn Marana instead (wampa's old 1.0 ability).

Soontir with Predator at 54 points seems good to me. Actions to reposition at I6 - if you get it right you get the extra focus and reroll one dice = dead stuff.

So waaaay easier to kill, but arc-dodging is real (again) and also more aggressive and cheaper - sounds fun to me.

At 54 with predator, i think Soontir is great value. Throw him on a flank dial in a non-commital move and dare your opponent to try and trap him. If they ignore him he gets behind and does his thing, and if they turn to fight him, just bug out and enjoy having the other 146pts of your list in flank position.

Edited by CRCL

15 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

Also, their double mod slot is currently a joke. All the mods they would want are overpriced, so they will be unlikely to use even one slot, let alone two. 

This is the current issue I am having with a lot of builds atm. You want a force user? You use a massive investment of 12 point EPT, or a mediocre utility at 6 points. Things like Stealth device or Shield upgrade is 8 points each, It's looking like a Juking Phantom can do the job of an Interceptor ATM given the current upgrades.

A fear I have with this is that people will complain about there isnt a lot of good upgrades and then the Power Creep starts again. 

30 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

A fear I have with this is that people will complain about there isnt a lot of good upgrades and then the Power Creep starts again. 

I don't fear that, I accept it as a near-certainty.

You just know they're going to slip some must-haves into Jedi/Droid ships so we can't all just ignore them.

9 hours ago, AdmiralKirk said:

Soontir Fel with Predator is 54 points, which seems pretty cheap for I6 (compare 68 points base for Fenn Rau in a similar ship), and has double repositions. And you get double mods if you fly well. I think a good player could make back 54 points with that ship.

The real loser, I think, is Turr Phennir, who is stuck at lower initiative than ships like Luke Skywalker, Thane Kyrell, and Guri. With that ability you really, really want to shoot first, and with no VI and so many attractive I5 ships, that seems like a grim prospect.

I haven't flown this yet, but I'm planning on Fel with Swarm Tactics and Phennir with Trick Shot.  This permits Phennir to shoot at In6 and/or get tricky with rocks.  So, no VI, but good tools still available.

After an initial attempt to run Soontir like I would have in 1.0...now I am just giving him Predator or Ruthless and calling it a day to fit more other ships next to him.

Only time I am still thinking about using more than that might be Lone wolf, Stealth Device, Hull Upgrade with Palp Support for the force charge, though I dont see that archetype initially being more effective than just bringing more guns. 

Soontir is extremely fun at just 52 pts. Takes some planning or distractions to keep him alive but rewarding when you get it right. Im not sure I have ever had access to an “ace” filler like this before. He is basically Imperial Omega Leader but much less able to just be in bad spots without consequences. Ship counts are high enough that it is not at all easy to keep him out of trouble, and all it takes is 2 tie fighters to ruin his day, which is a good thing, I like defense being his weakness.

Besides (2-4) Tie Strikers or mini tie swarms, Soontir is one of the first ships I look at when filling in the blanks on a list. Just so much capability and fun to be ahead straight out of the box even with essentially zero upgrades.

Edited by Boom Owl

On 8/12/2018 at 2:23 AM, Ccwebb said:

Though I am a rebel player, problem with the empire is limit them.  Empire is supposed to be overwhelming; wave after wave... so giving them a point restriction sucks. 

That being said, don’t get caught up making any TIE tough.  They should be looked as non-threatening by themselves.  So bring something scarier and flank with interceptors. 

(FYI- Interceptors in epic are scary!)

I am Resistence player myself and my brother made me fear his Soontir Fel. It's his favorite pilot and je really knows his stuff.

When I played against him it was Always one of the following:

1) I focused on hunting down the Red Baron. His buddies attack my flank and Fel slipped away to attack from different angle.

2) I ignored him and faced his buddies (to deal with him later) and I got butchered by Baron Fel outflanking me.

In 2.0 the turrets are nerfed and Interceptor is no longer 1/3 of your list. Re-think it. You rarely to fight in one-on-one situation.

Arcdodge or die, you may roll paint but you opponents have ships with 4red primaries which can push past anything your 3 dice+mods can do, also you need to arcdodge without any int5 pilots so expect any intercepter but fel to be outmanuvered and distroyed. And that doesn't even include Gunner Luke which is worth every point in these matchups

I'm sad to say but the intercepter is an ace only platform with only 1 ace. Fel or look elsewhere

Edited by mad mandolorian

22 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

Totally, but thanks to the price adjustment that the devs implement, it will probably be more like Power Waves. A bunch of auto include upgrade shows up and then get through in the"so expensive that it is barely usable" pile after 6 month. It will not be perfect, but at least not monotone!

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:21 AM, Commander Kaine said:

IN 4 on the 'ceptors is good. 

Flexibility in actions and reposition. 

Better blues, as well as the ability to be slow AND fast. 

I think Interceptors have a higher skill ceiling. 

Also, and I know you won't believe it... sometimes green dice roll paint :D 

Pretty much this. They're a very close match, to be fair:

• autothrusters are more flexible than adaptive ailerons, but they nail you to an interceptor's green dial, not its white one .
  • 3 green dice/3 hits is pretty close to 2 green dice/4 hits. A planetary sentinel can buy a stealth device for a 3rd green dice cheaper than an interceptor can get a hull upgrade, admittedly, but the stealth device breaks for a whole host of reasons now.
  • Strikers are faster in long, swoopy turns and red moves (because aileron/3 bank whilst an autothrustering interceptor tops out at bank 2/boost for sustained movement) but worse in a dead run (because straight 4/boost) or a tight turn (because the tightest they can turn is bank 1/bank 1 while an interceptor can do a turn 1/roll if not stressed).
  • You're quite correct that the Initiative 4 of a Saber Ace outclasses the Initiative 3 of a Black Squadron Scout. There's a lot to be said for getting 5 straight-out-the-hangar Sabers now, since you've got a heavy swarm which out-initiatives 90% of generics and a good half of unique pilots too.
  • On the other hand, the Scouts get 2 points a ship to pack elite talents - predator, for example (since a striker has a lot of ways to end up pointed the same way in broadly the same position - bank/straight, straight/bank, bank the other way/turn, which is good to give you options of where to lay bullseye arcs).

3 hours ago, player2422845 said:

Totally, but thanks to the price adjustment that the devs implement, it will probably be more like Power Waves. A bunch of auto include upgrade shows up and then get through in the"so expensive that it is barely usable" pile after 6 month. It will not be perfect, but at least not monotone!

Or they pull the cost of hull upgrades on agility 3 ships down by a point or two, such that you could use 5 alphas with a hull upgrade, making them much harder to one-shot even if you can line up a 4-dice primary on them.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

On 8/12/2018 at 4:02 AM, ClassicalMoser said:

The simple solution is to go after lower initiative targets. Few players will bring all-I5 squads.

Which is actually pretty thematic. Turr Phennir's a bully, but one who can't stack up to the truly great pilots. 

In gameplay terms, yeah it would have been nice to have him at I5 but I don't think I4 is the end of the world. I think it's going to take a while for people to come around to the new Initiative game, the intent has obviously been to make games much less about PS wars. Whether that actually happens or not remains to be seen, but I've seen some very attractive options at I4 and I2 (weirdly, I3 still seems to be a bit of a no man's land) - with a bid, Turr can be arc dodging the Inferno Squadron pilots, which could be very useful in the wave 1 meta and I feel like he'll be a solid, cheap hunter of ordnance alpha strike generics. 

The other benefit is that he's the same Initiative as the Saber Squadron aces, which could translate into an interesting four ship list.

If only Wes, Hobbie and Tycho were still in the game (FFG pls). I'd love to see if I could squeeze them into a list against Turr and three Sabers for a little Starfighters of Adumar match. 

One interesting observation I've made about the 2.0 Squints is that Fel used to run 35 pts typically (PTL, Autothrusters, Stealth Device).  That's 70 pts in 2.0 and seems kinda ridiculous.  What's even more ridiculous is that you can build an even tougher Fel for fewer equivalent points, but it seems like overkill - he comes with PTL built in, add Hull Upgrade and Stealth Device for 15 pts and you're at 67 pts.  Add predator and you're still a half point equivalent less than the old build for him.  BUT, he doesn't seem to need it.  I feel like flying him with more friends is the smarter way to go, and it seems that's the consensus here as well.  It makes me curious if we'll see some beefed up Fel builds amongst the lean and mean variants we've been discussing.

One other thing I've noticed is that you can pretty easily construct a nasty squadron of Fel, Phennir and two Sabers.  It seems dodgy and fun, but I'm leaning toward two Squints max accompanying a strong jousting arm (bomber and two TIEs maybe).  This combined arms approach gives you greater diversity for taking on all comers, instead of a specialized force that has clear counters.

So I think adding more than one upgrade to such a small chassis is usually a mistake (Soontir might be the exception there). If we see some cheaper mods down the road, that thinking my change. For now, though, I say in most cases you might want to put a talent on and nothing else. If you've got spare points after filling out the rest of your list, maybe throw a mod on there.

Afterburners, hull/shield upgrade, maybe stealth seem to be good mod choices but all of them feel too expensive. Afterburners does offer up some maneuverability on turns where you're already stressed and don't want to do a green or turns where you're going to k-turn.

Also, a mistake I've seen a lot of players run into in 1st and I imagine will live on into 2nd- Don't use Autothrusters just because you can, use it because you know it will give you an advantage.

Also, are Fangs maybe just entirely better than squints? Yes, squints can double-reposition but you'll often prefer focus into reposition.

I'm really curious to see how Turr Phenir plays out in 2nd. I've always enjoyed playing him but without VI he seems less good.

i dont see a reason to take them over strikers.

Strikers may lack the blue turns but they are ~10pts cheaper for the same offense and can be squirrely by nature w/o an actionstack

Plus, Strikers have a Gunner slot which unlike mods IS actually kinda strong.

Mods being a joke atm is the main issue. Other than AB's, all the mods are either stupid or overcosted. 7pts for +1hullm 8pts for +1 shield, and 8pts for StealthDevice (which was heavily nerfed to begin with)

4 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

i dont see a reason to take them over strikers.

Strikers may lack the blue turns but they are ~10pts cheaper for the same offense and can be squirrely by nature w/o an actionstack

Plus, Strikers have a Gunner slot which unlike mods IS actually kinda strong.

Mods being a joke atm is the main issue. Other than AB's, all the mods are either stupid or overcosted. 7pts for +1hullm 8pts for +1 shield, and 8pts for StealthDevice (which was heavily nerfed to begin with)

The gunner slot might become good in the future, but right now there are only two things you can stick in there, Fifth Bro for 12 points or Skilled Bombardier for 2 points.  Imperials need some good generic gunner crew.  I'm hoping for an Imperial only version of weapons engineer.  Give me the lock action and the ability to hold two locks.

2 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

The gunner slot might become good in the future, but right now there are only two things you can stick in there, Fifth Bro for 12 points or Skilled Bombardier for 2 points.  Imperials need some good generic gunner crew.  I'm hoping for an Imperial only version of weapons engineer.  Give me the lock action and the ability to hold two locks.

There's also BT-1 but that's not helping the cause much. He's nice enough but could go an entire game without providing a benefit. Plus you must have Vader.

On 8/11/2018 at 2:02 PM, Commander Kaine said:

...I fully except the 2.0 Interceptor pack to have something that makes them truly exceptional. 

What makes you think that?  Hasn't it been said that whatever is in the expansion packs will also be in the conversion kits?  

12 minutes ago, gennataos said:

What makes you think that?  Hasn't it been said that whatever is in the expansion packs will also be in the conversion kits?  

Only Wave 1 content will be in the Conversion Kits - subsequent waves will have new content, but all new cards will appear in kits for all factions, akin to what FFG is doing with Legion.

13 minutes ago, gennataos said:

That's only been stated for wave 1 expansion.

There have been statements indicating that there will be "some way" to acquire later waves upgrades and pilots. But those expansions will still have their own contents.

Oh, I got one!

Inquisitor crew on a Lambda can coordinate when an enemy reveals dial near it

Coordinate an Alpha squaddie to boost/roll, and optionally autothruster on top, and you have the world's most annoying blocker!

Edited by ficklegreendice

I'm excited to run this. Same as old Fel just without autothrusters plus an extra Interceptor thrown in. Im sure when the Interceptor expansion officially comes out there will be a smorgasbord of new pilots and might drop stealth device to fit in named people.

Soontir Fel — TIE Interceptor 52
Predator 2
Stealth Device 8
Ship Total: 62

Turr Phennir — TIE Interceptor 44
Juke 4
Ship Total: 48

Saber Squadron Ace — TIE Interceptor 40
Juke 4
Ship Total: 44

Saber Squadron Ace — TIE Interceptor 40
Juke 4
Ship Total: 44

This morning as I dozed before waking, it occurred to me: TIE Interceptors might be able to abuse Composure for double-actions without stress.

"After you fail an action, if you have no green tokens, you may perform a Focus action."  When you attempt a red action and fail, you don't take stress.  So here's the trick: perform a boost or barrel roll.  Use the Autothrusters ship ability to attempt a red Boost or Barrel Roll when you know it won't fit.  The action fails, and you can then perform a *white* focus action.  That's not too different from just Focus into Autothrusters, except that it doesn't give stress.  It's a pretty narrow situation, you'll need to have an illegal boost to attempt after performing a barrel roll or vice versa, but that seems like something which needs to be felt out on the table.  Might be more common than it seems.

A-Wing can do it, too, but only with failed boost actions.  I guess they could even do it off a Lock action, since that doesn't give you a green token.

I don't think similar abuse can be performed with an E-Wing, TIE Bomber, or TIE Punisher (can anyone else link into a Lock?), to boost or barrel roll into a target lock designed to fail.  My reading of the Lock rule doesn't give you the choice to just fail; if there are any objects within range, you have to choose one to lock.  And since odds are there's going to be at least one asteroid in legal range, you'll have to lock someone.