spartan1128

2.0 TIE Interceptors!

What do we think of these guys for 2.0? Good, bad, or ugly? What kind of builds are you working on? Wingmates?

Initially, coming from a 1.0 mindset, my reaction was to try to put defensive modification upgrades on them. However, seeing as how defense has been nerfed quite a bit in 2.0 (namely the evade action), there is little you can do to efficiently improve the ship defensively. Every modification upgrade I would put on them is exorbitantly priced (hull/shield upgrade, stealth device). It seems to me the best way to handle it is to keep them cheap. Throw on a Talent (Predator? Juke? Elusiveness?) and call it a day. It will be interesting to see whether their 3 HP without Autothrusters or token stacking can survive in the initial 2.0 meta even with the toned down offense of the game.

Mod slot is useless on Interceptors, true, but with linked double reposition, they will be very annoying. 

I used to play PTL Royal Guards in epic (slapped them on a Gozanti) and they are scary AF. 

I'm excited for Interceptors, will use them as filler generics. That being said, I fully except the 2.0 Interceptor pack to have something that makes them truly exceptional. 

Gut reaction is most Empire ships got boned, nerfed greens, barrel roll and evade. Plenty of ways for rebel faction to get dice mods. One shoot popping seems to be back big time. So yeah keep them cheap. 

Edited by Dwing

To counter some things here, mods didn't get more expensive for Interceptors. They're gonna cost the same in scale. It got cheaper for other ships which makes the Interceptors seem over costed. But an 8 point Stealth device and shield is the same percentage of points from 1.0. Only hull got .5 points more expensive.

6 minutes ago, All Shields Forward said:

To counter some things here, mods didn't get more expensive for Interceptors. They're gonna cost the same in scale. It got cheaper for other ships which makes the Interceptors seem over costed. But an 8 point Stealth device and shield is the same percentage of points from 1.0. Only hull got .5 points more expensive.

But they lost access to their cheap mods (which people used) like Targeting Computer or AT, or even TIE MK II. 

You could use those mod slots in 1.0 without making the ship cost as much as an advanced fighter (with shields and other slots). In 2.0, the only mods that make sense are the most expensive mods. 

I think Saber aces and the named pilots will be awesome.

However, the Alphas are still grossly overpriced for what amounts to a 3-primary TIE/ln. repositioning hardly helps at I1, especially on such a fragile chassis. It’s good for blocking, but you can’t swarm these guys at all or they just die.

It’s a pity because there’s nothing I would love flying more than a 6-Alpha swarm. They just barely made that impossible :(

So, obvious bias aside, can't see why you'd EVER run a generic interceptor over a striker

Sure, Strikers can be a tad wonky with compulsory Ailerons, but they get added manueverability without a stress cost attatched 

I guess interceptors can stay in formation better?...but that just seems so counter to the concept of an  interceptor...

Edited by ficklegreendice

15 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

So, obvious bias aside, can't see why you'd EVER run a generic interceptor over a striker

Sure, Strikers can be a tad wonky with compulsory Ailerons, but they get added manueverability without a stress cost attatched 

I guess interceptors can stay in formation better?...but that just seems so counter to the concept of an  interceptor...

IN 4 on the 'ceptors is good. 

Flexibility in actions and reposition. 

Better blues, as well as the ability to be slow AND fast. 

I think Interceptors have a higher skill ceiling. 

Also, and I know you won't believe it... sometimes green dice roll paint :D 

Though I am a rebel player, problem with the empire is limit them.  Empire is supposed to be overwhelming; wave after wave... so giving them a point restriction sucks. 

That being said, don’t get caught up making any TIE tough.  They should be looked as non-threatening by themselves.  So bring something scarier and flank with interceptors. 

(FYI- Interceptors in epic are scary!)

4 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

But they lost access to their cheap mods (which people used) like Targeting Computer or AT, or even TIE MK II. 

You could use those mod slots in 1.0 without making the ship cost as much as an advanced fighter (with shields and other slots). In 2.0, the only mods that make sense are the most expensive mods. 

You are stuck in the old mindset.  Don't look back to 1.0 when evaluating 2.0.  Let the past die.  Kill it if you gave to. 

27 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

You are stuck in the old mindset.  Don't look back to 1.0 when evaluating 2.0.  Let the past die.  Kill it if you gave to. 

What I am saying, is equipping 2 mods worth of 16 points makes the ship too expensive. 

I'm not stuck in the old mindset. I'm stating something about this edition (there are no cheap mods available to Interceptors) and then I list some examples of such upgrades from the 1.0. 

The fact remains as it is, regardless of my statements about 1.0. There are no cheap mods for the Interceptor in 2.0.  The examples (not comparisons) serve no purpose, in proving that statement, because I'm not comparing them to the cost of 1.0 upgrades. 

But sure, movie quotes not at all related to the conversation. 

Here ya go,

oarGJ.gif

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Because they’re actually made to fly in space. Because they’re iconic. Because the Empire had WAY more of them (I would presume for some reason). Because it’s thematic for Endor games. Because it’s fluffy.

Also because if you dodge all the arcs you don’t have to roll ANY green dice!

1 minute ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Because they’re actually made to fly in space. Because they’re iconic. Because the Empire had WAY more of them (I would presume for some reason). Because it’s thematic for Endor games. Because it’s fluffy.

Also because if you dodge all the arcs you don’t have to roll ANY green dice!

I'd say all of that goes for obvious bias. 

Those are fair reasons to fly the ship, mind you, but it doesn't change the fact that FFG has an obligation to not make redudant ships. 

Make the 'ceptors cheaper! Strikers have bombs and gunners anyway. 

I wouldn't mind if the striker was a bit tankier and had a slower dial, and the ceptor would remain the sleek and agile ship that it should be. 

Soontir Fel with Predator is 54 points, which seems pretty cheap for I6 (compare 68 points base for Fenn Rau in a similar ship), and has double repositions. And you get double mods if you fly well. I think a good player could make back 54 points with that ship.

The real loser, I think, is Turr Phennir, who is stuck at lower initiative than ships like Luke Skywalker, Thane Kyrell, and Guri. With that ability you really, really want to shoot first, and with no VI and so many attractive I5 ships, that seems like a grim prospect.

5 minutes ago, AdmiralKirk said:

The real loser, I think, is Turr Phennir, who is stuck at lower initiative than ships like Luke Skywalker, Thane Kyrell, and Guri. With that ability you really, really want to shoot first, and with no VI and so many attractive I5 ships, that seems like a grim prospect.

The simple solution is to go after lower initiative targets. Few players will bring all-I5 squads.

Given they no longer need to be the lynch pin of your list, I think they are good. 

I believe they need support to work best, being able to coordinate a token and move before revealing a blue move and do another token and movement.

I think Soontir naked is now perfectly viable as a pocket ace