Ghostofman

Rise of the Separatists Era Book

7 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

So, if Clone is now a species and Clone Trooper career requires Clone species but Retired Clone Trooper requires Human species, then no Retired Clone Trooper can be build by RAW that has the Clone Trooper career.?

Someone might only own Dawn of Rebellion and only be interested in the Post-Clone who will have been doing other things after the war and so may have a different career. 

Makes sense, and nice of them to not make you buy both books for the full experience. I mean that's like saying you can't have a Corellian or a Mandolorian who can't take the Retired Clone tree even though they're technically human. It's clear enough that they qualify if you pick them.

25 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

So, if Clone is now a species and Clone Trooper career requires Clone species but Retired Clone Trooper requires Human species, then no Retired Clone Trooper can be build by RAW that has the Clone Trooper career.?

?

Well, it gives use reasonable humans something to argue with the RAW above all types for 50 pages of thread over.

I am actually really interested is seeing what the FFG take on Clones as a species are.

Edited by Ghostofman

8 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

?

Well, it gives use reasonable humans something to argue with the RAW above all types for 50 pages of thread over.

I am actually really interested is seeing what the FFG take on Clones as a species are.

I'm expecting a statline of 232212

1 hour ago, HappyDaze said:

And, if a PC did get that many ranks of Dedication, they would probably have Force Rating 8+ too, which is silly and probably far higher than what those NPCs have.

While I do see where you're coming from here, but NPCs do not follow the same rules as building PCs. Comparing your character to an iconic NPC is folly. 

When it comes to comparing your PC to an NPC, remember, you've slowly acquired dozens of talents and force powers that the NPC's generally aren't going to have in their blocks. They instead get higher attributes and skill ranks, a limited selection of key thematic talents, and probably one overpowered special quality. 

5 minutes ago, KRKappel said:

While I do see where you're coming from here, but NPCs do not follow the same rules as building PCs. Comparing your character to an iconic NPC is folly. 

When it comes to comparing your PC to an NPC, remember, you've slowly acquired dozens of talents and force powers that the NPC's generally aren't going to have in their blocks. They instead get higher attributes and skill ranks, a limited selection of key thematic talents, and probably one overpowered special quality. 

I really wish there were an alternate advancement system that produced PCs that were similar to the NPCs. I would rather have far fewer talents to fiddle with but better base stats and Force powers that were built with upgrades included. IOW, a simplified and condensed way to make easily playable PCs that were as mechanically intricate as Nemesis NPCs but no more.

36 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

I'm expecting something similar, though I'd swap will and presence. Clones need Discipline and Leadership, but not negotiation skills...

I could see that and don't disagree. I just envisioned a lower will because Palpatine wanted them pliable and controllable and willing to carry out order 66 without question.

2 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

I really, really hope this product will give us a Republic dating system that doesn't rely on visions of the future to use. I don't want to have the in-game date be referred to as 22 BBY (or 3 BFE).

In Republic Commando they use the battle of Geonosis as a date stamp. So 0y-95 days ABG

Edited by Ling27

13 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

I really, really hope this product will give us a Republic dating system that doesn't rely on visions of the future to use. I don't want to have the in-game date be referred to as 22 BBY (or 3 BFE).

I'm pretty sure the BBY-ABY dating system of the Star Wars galaxy is largely a fan designation more than anything, as dates aren't really referenced much if at all in actual material, but outside of it. In-universe there would be no reason for anyone to choose some arbitrary event like the destruction of the Death Star as the new basis for their date designation. If they did they'd probably choose a much more galaxy shaking event like the reformation of the Republic into the Empire or the birth of the Old Republic or something.

They should just go simple like "CS Coruscant Standard" or something, choose a fixed point that everyone in and out of the Star Wars galaxy knows about as the reference point.

6 minutes ago, immortalfrieza said:

I'm pretty sure the BBY-ABY dating system of the Star Wars galaxy is largely a fan designation more than anything, as dates aren't really referenced much if at all in actual material, but outside of it. In-universe there would be no reason for anyone to choose some arbitrary event like the destruction of the Death Star as the new basis for their date designation. If they did they'd probably choose a much more galaxy shaking event like the reformation of the Republic into the Empire or the birth of the Old Republic or something.

They should just go simple like "CS Coruscant Standard" or something, choose a fixed point that everyone in and out of the Star Wars galaxy knows about as the reference point.

Actually, the BBY/ABY designations we’re established By Lucasfilm Licensing, and used on their timelines to date the events depicted in the different stories. 

1 minute ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Actually, the BBY/ABY designations we’re established By Lucasfilm Licensing, and used on their timelines to date the events depicted in the different stories. 

Precisely. Luke isn't like "in 10 ABY X happened" it's always an out of universe designation.

27 minutes ago, immortalfrieza said:

Precisely. Luke isn't like "in 10 ABY X happened" it's always an out of universe designation.

Yes, but my point is that, contrary to your initial assertion, the BBY/ABY designations were not created by the fans. Rather, they are official designations given by the producers of the stories.

10 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Yes, but my point is that, contrary to your initial assertion, the BBY/ABY designations were not created by the fans. Rather, they are official designations given by the producers of the stories.

Sure. They still arent in universe measurements.

On 8/10/2018 at 8:46 PM, SEApocalypse said:

The general assumption of FFG seems to be that most paying customers start a campaign with zero or 150xp and end it with 300xp, just to build a new 150xp character. Seems odd to me, but all publications seem to be aiming on that, Genesys character sheet even lacks space for more stuff. 

I don't know if this is still the case, but I read a survey many years ago which indicated that the average lifespan of an RPG campaign was less than twenty sessions and that groups like mine were outlying anomalies.  And of the many recent trends in RPG design which leave me mildly annoyed, one of them is that designers seem to be taking that into account.

Huh. Interesting. The original players in my SW campaign are at 575 earned XP, and aren't ready for me to stop the campaign (I have a replacement player that I brought in at 100 XP lower than the others just a few sessions back).

One of them just barely bought into a second spec after years of play (he does have a Signature Ability, though).

The other original player has three specs (two of which are out-of-career).

2 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Actually, that’s not entirely true. It was used in universe after the fall of the Empire and establishment of the New Republic as stated here.

That is legends. Not canon. Try again.

Edited by Daeglan

8 hours ago, 2P51 said:

Maybe argument is too strong. Disagreement over how a pretend calendar in a pretend world is viewed through a lens of pseudo authenticity.....

I'm neither arguing nor disagreeing, merely stating a hope that they give us a dating system that moves forward from a point that has already occurred in-universe rather than a "before some future event" count. If they decide to use the Battle of Geonosis, I'd like a mention of what the previous event and count were too in case somebody decides to back up the clock a few years and play during Dooku's build-up period while the Republic and Jedi were not yet engaged in stopping him.